IIFYM - help?

Options
missyjac
missyjac Posts: 14 Member
Hi All,

I recently stumbled across the IIFYM method. My goal is to reduce my body fat %.
I am currently at 26.4% - 45.4KGs and 146cm in height for a 28 yr old (very petite).
Based on the IIFYM calculator, I am to consume 1239 calories, 151.7C/91.9P/29.4F.
BMR is1092 while TDEE is 1549.

I find it difficult to hit the Carbs & Proteins - always under by 30-70gms; and my calorie + fat would normally be a negative.
Am I doing it right? Do I need to completely hit the macro down to a single digit? What do you suggest are some foods to consume to hit my macros? Typically I have oats, eggs in the morning, salad with 1 protein for lunch, a slice of bread for tea time & pre-workout, throw in an apple, greek yoghurt, a granola bar/muesli bar as a snack. This already comes up to almost 1,200 calories, but a lot of balance on carbs & protein. I was a clean eater, and I'm now having difficulty thinking of what to grab and go to hit the macro without putting on too much of the calorie & fat on (if this is a concern at all).

Also - what sorts of workouts should I be doing in order to complement this diet?
I typically work out 4-5 times a week (2-3 hrs) on weights, a 20 minute run each, 1 hr body pump (3x a week), CX core (1x a week), pole dance practice twice a week. Should I be doing HIIT sort of workouts? Or I can retain my current regime?

From my research, it seems that I should be hitting my macros and checking in again in 1 week to see if there's a difference in the kilos and if not, to readjust?

Any advise would be appreciated!

Replies

• knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    you dont have to hit the macros exactly. i think around 10% over/short shouldnt be much of a difference. youre a pretty tiny person to be trying to lose weight, no?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The IIFYM website and calculator is great, but it really has nothing to do with the original concept. There is not singular and absolute correct macro setting. IIFYM was a stock answer Eric Stevens used on bodybuilding.com to constant questions like, "will oatmeal interfere with my gains brah?" Answer: IIFYM. IIFYM is not a diet plan...conceptually it was initially used to suggest that people didn't need to demonize certain foods and certain macro-nutrients...they could eat it so long as it fit those macros. This of course was ultimately basterdized into, "eat whatever you want then so long as it fits your macros"...that was never the intent...IIFYM always assumed a diet (noun) that was overwhelmingly rich in nutrition as to optimize athletic performance.

Your macro ratios are going to be personal to you and have more to do with fitness performance. IIFYM is not a weight loss strategy per sei...it is used to optimize fitness performance. For example, optimal macro ratios for an endurance athlete are going to be completely different than those of a bodybuilder.

I believe the IIFYM website defaults to 1 gram of protein per Lb of body weight...which is ridiculous IMHO, particularly if you're an individual with a lot of fat on you...it would be one thing if you were super lean, but a 300 Lb individual that is 50% BF doesn't need 300 grams of protein per day...at most, they'd need 150 grams to get to around 1 gram per Lb of LBM.

Protein is important, and even more so when you're dieting to preserve your muscle mass as much as possible...0.9 - 1 gram per Lb of LBM should be sufficient here. Later on in maintenance, much will depend on your exercise activity as to how much protein you would need. 0.3 - 0.4 grams of fat per Lb of body weight is sufficient dietary fat...round out the rest of your diet with carbs...unless of course you're doing low carb in which case your fats and proteins will change substantially.

Don't get too wrapped up in some random website telling you what your macros should be...they are a very individualized thing.
  • missyjac
    Options
    Thanks @knot_enough and cwolfman13.

I am pretty petite, I'm actually not trying to lose weight (i love my size) but really I want to lose the body fat percentage, and look really toned. I hv some good muscles, I am toned but most is hiding under a layer of fat, so that's a waste. Looking at IIFYM, I like that it tells me how much I should be consuming. Prior to this (2-3 yrs now) I hv just been clean eating (with no direction) and I only saw a very small drop in my %. Like, 2% in the past 5 months? I am quite active at the gym and outdoors, but it seems to me that maybe I am not pushing it hard enough?

Maybe there's just something I'm doing wrong/missing the mark.
    Hope to get some pointers. Thanks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What do you do exactly at the gym for weight training?

If you want to get "toned" I'd suggest lifting low reps and heavy (for you) weights. Look into programs like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5. New Rules of Lifting for Women is also good...it's a good read even if you don't decide to do the program. I'd suggest giving this a read as well...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • missyjac
    Options
    Will check the article out, Tq!
    At the gym it varies - 3-4 sets of 15 reps weights starting from a comfortable weight to a heavier weight (reduce rep). I mostly use the machines: ie assisted chin ups & dips, pull down, row, legs extension, cable extensions etc etc I don't know what they r all called lol but I do them all focusing on one to two body parts to sometimes overall in a day when I feel like it. I use free weights too. Basically an overall strength training each time n trying to lift heavier.