Does anyone else?

karkey69
karkey69 Posts: 5
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem deciding what to eat. Where I work, we dont have but a 30 min. lunchbreak so we eat on campus in the dining hall. Most days this week, there wasnt anything being served that I could eat, so as always I just go for a salad and fruit for lunch which gets very boring. When I get home I am wiped out and I dont really feel like cooking and my husband is no help because he has no ideas about what he wants either. I guess I am just bored with food! :yawn:
Of course that doesnt stop me from eating the wrong things because that is why I am here.
Anyone have any suggestions for me?:smile:

Replies

• I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem deciding what to eat. Where I work, we dont have but a 30 min. lunchbreak so we eat on campus in the dining hall. Most days this week, there wasnt anything being served that I could eat, so as always I just go for a salad and fruit for lunch which gets very boring. When I get home I am wiped out and I dont really feel like cooking and my husband is no help because he has no ideas about what he wants either. I guess I am just bored with food! :yawn:
    Of course that doesnt stop me from eating the wrong things because that is why I am here.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem deciding what to eat. Where I work, we dont have but a 30 min. lunchbreak so we eat on campus in the dining hall. Most days this week, there wasnt anything being served that I could eat, so as always I just go for a salad and fruit for lunch which gets very boring. When I get home I am wiped out and I dont really feel like cooking and my husband is no help because he has no ideas about what he wants either. I guess I am just bored with food! :yawn:

Make your lunches at home and bring them. That's what I do. If you don't have a place to put them, get a small insulated cooler and a couple of cold packs.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    To help my husband keep and I on track I cook EXTRA for dinner for the next day's lunch. I have never been the left over type. Whatever meat we cook, I can slice it up and put it on a nice salad by adding a few extra veggies the next day. I pre-chop lettuce for a few days and keep it sealed in a container to quickly toss into a lunch for us as well. I think it helps make the salads more fun because I grate fresh parmesan and add McCormick's Salad Toppings as well. YUM!

For him I try and also shop for quick grab treats at work. He calls it his "Scooby Snack Drawer." And keeps it filled so he doesn't have to hunt down a vending machine filled with unhealthy junk. I send in pretzel packages, peanuts, healthier chips, and granola bars. This also helps so he doesn't completely miss a meal and end up starving at any point of the day if his lunch time has to be pushed back or not at all.

It is a little work at first, but now it is quick and easy to grab in the mornings. I hope this helps!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    They have single serving tuna packets at walmart that are really good with some sweet relish thrown in. No water to drain out or anything like a can. :smile:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    They have single serving tuna packets at walmart that are really good with some sweet relish thrown in. No water to drain out or anything like a can. :smile:

OOOOOh! I love these also I take part responsibility in the shortage of tuna in the oceans which are causing the abundance of Jellyfish. ::raising hand:: GUILTY!

But stay clear from the mayo packets in there or only eat half, because their idea of "light mayo" is still a billion calories and fat! GAG!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    i always bring my lunch to work. either left overs from the night before or a lean cuisine or a sandwhich.

as for dinner im in the same boat as you my husband never gives me ideas!!!!:grumble:

i try to plan at least 3-4 meals for the week.
  • That happens to me almost every day. I wish we had a cafeteria or even a place around here with a good salad bar. I used to work in a hospital and I would eat Salad and cottage cheese everyday. sometimes with grilled chicken. they also had a subway there, I truly miss it. Now I try to have all the food available so I can easily back a lunch. Every weekend I take a few minutes and make my own sugar-free jello and pudding snacks in my own little reusable containers. One of those, some fresh fruit, carrot sticks w/light ranch and a salad, sandwich or leftovers and I'm good to go!
    Dinner, however, is another story. Every night it's: What do you want? I don't know honey, what do you want? I make a suggestion and he doesn't want that, but still doesn't know what he wants! So frustrating.
    I've started to just make a list of things I know I have the ingredients to make, posting it and picking one. Just get up and do it. Though I have to admit, there are a few night here and there we end up with pizza or chinese :sad: I wish I had more time and energy to make dinner at night!
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    I use leftovers or precook meals for lunch (and sometimes dinner) for the week. I usually do a pasta dish with veggies, or mashed potatoes and meat. Other times I'll make a large batch and freeze them, like my own cheap and healthy frozen dinners. Sometimes it is a bit of a hodge podge.
    Those plastic containers are great. If you don't have a microwave and/or refrigerator look into thermos type containers to keep hot hot and cold cold. There are also some nifty little lunch box ice packs now (back to school sale.)

I also buy snacks and prepackage them myself according to how many calories I want for a snack. Usually I just measure out the recommended amount, but sometimes I make it smaller.
    Peanuts, dried fruit, rice crackers, chips, cookies. Whatever the snack is, just buy a box of ziplock bags in snack size and pre-measure and package the whole larger size package at once. I throw a variety of prepackaged things together and let each person grab what they want for their lunch. I keep some in a drawer at work.

I also pack fruit. I have two small apples and a black plum today. I'm really big on grapefruit, grapes, and cantaloupe too. My husband likes bananas, oranges, and watermelon. The melon can be presliced, cubed, and packaged into containers.

I don't eat dairy but if you do yogurt is a nice addition to lunch.

Under this link look under lunch box basics and lunch box goodies for some inspiration.
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/othergoodies.htm

Good luck, lunch and snacks during the day are important
This discussion has been closed.