Lower calorie foods that fill you up

Options
I can manage my day to day calories pretty well. However, since I'm smaller its hard for me to have cheat days. Cheat days pretty kill my whole week. I'm looking for foods that are lower I'm calories but still fill you up. This weekend is my anniversary and we'll be going out to eat so I'm going to try to kill my calories low all day then eat what I want at dinner.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Soup? Obviously without sour cream or butter or anything.

I make a batch of homemade veg or bean soup to keep in the fridge, sometimes with scraps of bacon that come to around 250 cals for a large bowl.

I also find fat free greek yogurt (the proper stuff, not 'greek style') and fruit filling. About 80g of Total 0% with half a tin of apricots/peaches and a teaspoon of honey comes to less than 200 cals.

Enjoy your meal, cheat days may stuff it up for this week, but it's only once a year.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Try foods that are high in fats and protein.

My favorite grab and go snack is hardboiled eggs :)

or celery with peanut butter.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash. It is super low calorie but incredibly filling. I'm guessing it must have a high water content. And it's tasty without any additions, though you can add a little mushroom sauce and still have a really low cal dish.
  • ericzanetti
    ericzanetti Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've found that high protein foods leave you feeling less hungry while in a calorie deficit diet.

Example
    Egg Whites
    Baked/BBQ'd Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
    1% Cottage Cheese
    Turkey
    Salmon

I personally eat:
    50% protein
    30% carbs
    20% fats

Hope this helps.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies, with Qia, spinach, an apple, and a 1/2 banana. I am pretty full, all day long.
  • LindaFromNH
    LindaFromNH Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Today I had 1 5 oz. can white tuna with 1 cup lettuce, 1 slice onion, 2 T olives, 1 tsp Cains mayonnaise, 2 tsp FF Hellman's mayonnaise, and 1/3 of a European cucumber.... Calories are low and I feel full... You can add FF cottage cheese if you like for a little added protein... I love it and have it quite often and it's only about 175 calories
  • RavenaRae
    RavenaRae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you like tuna Starkist has "tuna creations" pouches in different flavors that average 100 calories. I eat one of those and half an avocado for lunch and it will keep me full for most of the afternoon.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Can't overstate veg. When I'm starving and need something toothsome but still need not to break my calorie intake, I go for grilled asparagus or roasted cauliflower and brussels sprouts or something. Just a little bit of olive oil, some garlic and thyme and rosemary and it'll fill you up for ages.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and veg. You can get a pretty big serving of it and feel full for relatively low calories. I use water with just a little veg base or half that and half orange juice and lots of celery, onion and some carrot. It's great over chicken or salmon but totally fine as is.
  • dylangrrrrl
    dylangrrrrl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I second the nonfat greek yogurt. I also LOVE Amy's tamale pie in the frozen foods section- only 150 calories and no prep!
  • AirborneEd
    Options
    Veggies
    grilled or baked Chicken breast
    Tuna
    Umm.
    More veggies
    and yes
    More veggies.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash for sure. with 4 ounces of chicken breast. mmmm. and maybe another side vegetable. yum!

for snacks, hardboiled eggs and pretzels.
    i love raw cauliflower too.