Convincing yourself to run?

Options
I did the C25K, and ran a 5k (without walking) last weekend. Now whenever I go out for a "run" I can't seem to convince myself not to walk. I've even tried being mean to myself, or offering myself rewards if I'll just run for the half an hour, but nothing I've done seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Replies

• Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Do you run with music? Or maybe running just isn't for you. You had incentive for the C25k, but if the desire to run isn't there after the goal is attained, maybe consider other options.
  • Nuthouse86
    Options
    I usually listen to audiobooks when I run or walk, I find it easier to keep going longer than planned if I really get lost in the book.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Time for a new program? If you did well with the structure of couch to 5k, maybe it's time for a bridge to 10k: http://blog.bluefinapps.com/about-bridge-to-10k/
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Have something bigger to aspire to. You've done the 5K, now train for the ten.

And you could switch up your running, too. Try HIIT, or try spin class, or try running at a faster pace for 1 minute out of every 4.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I had/have that problem too. I would also suggest the bridge to 10K.

I needed to have a reason to train and a goal at the end of my training plan. So I went from C25K to the Bridge to 10K, ran a 10K without stopping and felt awesome. I have YET to run an entire 5K though. But I am getting faster so I must be doing something right.

I just keep signing up for races. Makes me keep working on training.

Edited because I cannot spell today!
  • gpiercebutler
    gpiercebutler Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use the zombies run app. The story is pretty good and they have an option called "zombie chase" where it'll make zombies run after you at random points and you have to speed up for long enough to "escape". It's pretty motivating.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I use the zombies run app. The story is pretty good and they have an option called "zombie chase" where it'll make zombies run after you at random points and you have to speed up for long enough to "escape". It's pretty motivating.

I wanna try this.

You seem like a really goal oriented person.

Get a new goal, like others mentioned, a bigger running goal, or switch it up and bike or swim!
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with walking? I run 20 miles per week...run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute. I run all of my 5Ks and 10Ks like that and will do a half-marathon by the end of the year. Google http://www.jeffgalloway.com/ to learn more about the run/walk method.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that you sound like you need the added incentive to keep up with a program. I have not moved on to the Bridge to 10K because I have been working on running a little faster vs running a little further. On the flip side, potentially running is not the sport for you. If you have to force it maybe you need to look at something else -- cycling, weights? I don't know you or your situation, but it is just a thought.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    most people will say set your goals bigger..im gonna say set them smaller...heres what i mean.

on your next run tell yourself your going to run non stop for .5 miles and then do your walk/run scheme..or just walk your full distance (Ill assume its 3 miles). Next run decide to go .75 and so on and so on. eventually just going out and running will be a matter of course and you wont have to think about it.. just be careful adding to much at one time..listen to what your body is saying.

just a suggestion.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

Love this app! I run to keep my cardiovascular fitness/endurance up. I'm not a particularly motivated runner nor do I enjoy it as much as other parts of my routine but I find the Zombies , Run! app to be great at keeping me going!!
  • BSRjogger
    BSRjogger Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use an app similar to Zombies Run called BattleSuit Runner Fitness. It's much more interactive, cheaper (free version or $0.99 for the full version), and has choose your own adventure and gaming aspects. You can see more and also watch the video trailer at http://www.battlesuitrunner.com
    I highly recommend it--you can't beat the price :-) I lost 8 lbs since I started using it.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You might want to try just slowing down your pace and see if that helps.

Sign yourself up for another race - 5k, 10k doesn't really matter - so that you have something to train for.