Excercises you did when you were Morbidly obese

Options
I started out at 400. I started 23 days ago and have lost 13 pounds.

I excercise M-f
at night , and I try to do 45-1 hour of walking and a pretty good pace but I feel like its just NOT enough.
I was doing a workout dvd and hated it. Im getting a bike soon and am going to start swimming as well.

I have had alot of people send me links to videos of excercise and its hard. i get through maybe 10 mins of the movie and im panting. I had one I did for 30 minutes for a while and it really worked sweating wise but it got old..

When you were or currently are morbidly obese what did you do to really drop the weight at a reasonable rate.

:) ty

Replies

• Jwold55
    Jwold55 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is getting your heart rate up and keeping it up for at least an hour a day to burn fat. Starting at a higher weight reasonably you can do less to achieve this. Such as walking 3mph - 4mph, cycling at a steady speed, swimming, etc. Don't push yourself, aim to improve your time over time and keep at it :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Great start.

You can do tai chi sitting. It strengthens your muscles without stressing your body.

Swimming. I have many morbidly obese family members. They feel free in the water.

Also, seriously, work on your diet not exercise now. Exercise to keep yourself moving and happy and motivated. But it's the diet that will take the weight off. As you lose more, exercise will become easier and easier.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Walking, walking and more walking is how I started.

One thing to be careful of is nagging injuries. If you get a sore knee or foot - stay off it for a bit and if it doesn't get better go to the docs. I "sucked it up" through a sore foot once, and eded up hurting it bad enough I couldn't walk period for awhile. Had a similar issue with my knee.

I don't ever think it is too early to start with weightlifting either - all depends on if you have access to the weights. At my heaviest I couldn't really do squats or deadlifts, so I stuck with other basic lifts until I had lost enough weight and gained enough mobility to work a full routine.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I did table pushaways first. For the first 40-50 lbs or so.

At that point, I FELT so much better... walking was a chore at that point.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Walking for the first 3 months all I did was walk. I started at 333 pounds with a BMI of 46
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think walking is great. The key for me is to find something I like that I could keep up with. I started out walking slowly for shorter distances and I've increased the speed/distance with a little running thrown in. If you feel up to it, you can start with some body weight strength exercises. Nerd Fitness has some. Good Luck!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Try different workout dvds or utube. some you might like. Others you might hate. You will just have to stick with it. If you can only do the first 10 mins, that's great because it was 10 minutes more than you did yesterday. Just do 10 mins to start then every few days try to do a min longer.
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Swimming! It might be a bit awkward and you will probably feel quite self conscious (I do, heck I think most people do at the pool!), but don't let that stop you - once you're in the water it's all good.

Swimming is the best exercise for when you're very overweight because there is no pressure on any of your joints, so there is a lower chance of injury. It was recommended to me as a good exercise by my Doc. and chiropractor. Try going at odd times of the day - evening and lunch time are good - and avoid weekends, there WILL be approximately a million children for every litre of water in the pool.

Be careful with running, it is very hard on the joints and can easily lead to injuries when you're in obesity. That said, walking is great, and any kind of moving is awesome :laugh:

Good luck and feel free to add if you want support and encouragement :smile:
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great start! Walking is great, and don't try to do it all at once. Work up - 3mph then work up to 4mph. (If you have knee pain, ellipticals can be great)
    Do exercises - not tapes - and do what you can - bodyweight exercises are great - pushups, planks, simple squats with a ball against the wall, different abdonimals - bird dogs, etc.
    Do what you can - but push yourself and set goals. If you walk set a goal for distance and time, and then try to beat it every day by walking the same distance in a shorter time (even 10 seconds) or walk another 100 yards in the same time.
    My first goal (besides weight loss) was to be able to do 3 sets of 20 pushups. At first, it was hard for me to do 1 set of 10, so I did what i could - 10 pushups a day for a week, the second week I did 11, etc. - not quite a year later I can do 3 sets of 20 easy.
    Good Luck on your saga!
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    P.S. I cannot STAND workout DVDs, I feel gross and just horrible after a few minutes of them even though I run for half an hour, do vigorous work on the exercise bike for 45 mins + and swim for 30 mins + regularly. They just suck IMO! :laugh: I have massive respect for anyone who can actually do them!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Plus Size Pilates? I've not tried either of these .......you might look for previews (or something similar) on YouTube

http://www.amazon.com/Look-Great-Feel-22Plus-Pilates-22/dp/B0011Z1SK4

Mega Yoga or Yoga: Just My Size are a couple more......

http://www.amazon.com/MegaYoga-Megan-Garcia/dp/B0060MSRQ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1395855290&sr=1-1&keywords=mega+yoga
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    you might like zumba? its more fun than walking but not high impact

edited because I can't type....
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Starting with walking is great. Especially if you're working on increasing your distance and/or pace. If you feel like you want to do more, you could also supplement that with a C25K program a few days a week - the first few weeks are much more walking-based with very small intervals of running, working you up very slowly to more running. I started C25K close to 300 lbs, and find it very do-able... though I'm definitely tired by the end! :happy:
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    At my largest I started with just watching my calories in and lost quite a bit fairly easily with only doing the occasional extra walk. I have just discovered the leslie sansome walk at home videos and while I'm sure they will get old at the moment I'm just happy to be moving. Fitness blender is a great source of work out videos and if you hover over them it tells you the length and difficulty so you can choose a simpler one.

But really, it does come down to calories in versus calories out, if you maintain a deficit you will lose weight.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Walking! If it is hard to do start out slow by walking two or three times a day for short periods of time, then as you are able to walk longer you can decrease your walking to once a day unless you want to do it twice a day.

Another low impact workout that is fantastic when you are MO is swimming or water aerobics. If you are able to find a place to swim or a place that has classes.

Good luck and congrats on taking steps to improve your health.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you can walk, you can SKATE (but wear knee pads and wrist guards). Skating does WONDERS and is less impact than walking, but more aerobic. When I started, I couldn't even skate non-stop the length of one 3-minute song. NOW I can casually skate for three hours straight non-stop (except for sips of water). My endurance is THRU THE ROOF.

Also, don't forget that using one of those machines that looks like a stationary bike for your hands uses ALMOST as much calories per hour as walking. Use ALL your muscles! Just clapping your hands and dancing around is GREAT exercise. Watch the YouTube instructionals and learn to do the "Thriller" dance. ANYTHING to get moving is awesome to burn calories.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Walking. Later added a few body weight exercises. Added more exercise. Added weights. Kept walking and adding to the routine. Walking is a great starting point.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    All of the above is great advice- there's a saying "weight loss happens in the kitchen" - meaning, you don't *need* to exercise to lose weight; all you need is a calorie deficit which you can achieve through diet alone. There's another saying; "you can't out exercise a bad diet"... which dovetails nicely with the first adage.

In addition to the walking you're currently doing, you can do calisthenics such as crunches, push ups (there are a myriad ways to modify, but the easiest would be either off your counter or off a wall) leg lifts, etc... If you have a pair of dumbbells at home, start using them. Ankle weights while walking might also be a nice challenge...

There's a beginner exercise video by fitness blender on youtube that I did when I was pregnant; I can't remember exactly which one, but they have many to choose from. Type in beginner workouts, and try to your hearts content.

Also, yoga. Yoga can be as mild or intense as you want it to be. Stretching and becoming aware of your body and increasing your flexibility is a great component as you lose weight.

Best of luck!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I started out at 400. I started 23 days ago and have lost 13 pounds.

I excercise M-f
    at night , and I try to do 45-1 hour of walking and a pretty good pace but I feel like its just NOT enough.
    I was doing a workout dvd and hated it. Im getting a bike soon and am going to start swimming as well.

I have had alot of people send me links to videos of excercise and its hard. i get through maybe 10 mins of the movie and im panting. I had one I did for 30 minutes for a while and it really worked sweating wise but it got old..

When you were or currently are morbidly obese what did you do to really drop the weight at a reasonable rate.

:) ty

I invested in a bike and with a decent diet, the weight just melted off. then i started walking, at least 6-10 miles a day. then running…and running…and running.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    walking and keeping under my calorie goal WAS enough. I lost 43 pounds in the first 3 months.

then i joined a gym.