Am I helping or hindering?

Options
Hi there. Right now, my MFP setting is 3 workouts 30 minutes at a time. Lately, like the last 3 weeks, I've been going above and beyond that. I'm wondering if I should change my settings, or leave them the way they are? Is it going to make a difference, good or bad, if I change it to say 5 workouts 30 minutes each? My walks themselves are 40 minutes minimum and I normally do them at least 4 days a week. I just didn't know if it would make a difference, and what I should do.

Thanks!

Replies

• megenj2001
    megenj2001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think that depends all on you. If you really love that you absolutely always hit your goal, I'd leave it, but if you're looking for a little more motivation, I'd switch it. Great job!! :)
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the same, exceeding my 3/30 per week. As far as I can tell, the exercise goals are more of something you'd set so you can look back and see how you're doing via the reports--they don't change your daily calorie goal or anything.

I don't think it would make any difference if you actually changed it in MFP unless you want to generate reports and see how well you're sticking with the exercise. But since you're already exceeding the default goal it sounds like you're good at sticking to your routine.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    i agree with megenj001. i was doing the same thing and going WAY over (like 1000 and more over my weekly goal) so i set mine a little higher, not a whole lot, but enough so that i had to keep up with the level i was working at to make it to my goal. worked like a charm and now i belly dance almost everyday!
  • theotherjamie
    Options
    In my humble opinion, I see the workouts as a goal. If you do at least 30 mins three times a week...then you've met your goal. Anything in addition is for you and a bonus. If you adjust your goals to 5 times a week, do you think you'll be discouraged or more likely to be hard on yourself if you miss a workout? Also...as long as you are logging in all your excercise, the weight prediction the program gives you when you submit your eating diary should still be accurate. So you win, either way!

I think it's awesome that you are exceeding your goal the last few weeks.

Jamie
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP only gives you extra calories when you enter exercise that you completed, not based on your goal, so more is better as long as you are eating enough to keep your energy up and aid in recovery.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    MFP only gives you extra calories when you enter exercise that you completed, not based on your goal, so more is better as long as you are eating enough to keep your energy up and aid in recovery.

+1
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Changing the stats won't make any difference on your weight loss or the MFP setting and #s it gives to you. These are just goals for people who like to see #s and things to push themselves to make their weekly workout goals. If you want your goal to be to work out 5 times a week go ahead and change it! It might motivate you on that 5th day when you sort of don't want to go :)