Ephedra

Options
What do you all think of it? It was sold and taken for a long time by millions ... I'm tempted to write my thesis for grad school on this topic and want to see what you all think as well!

Replies

• kcmeek7272
    Options
    I used it to lose weight after the birth of my second child, which was only a year after the birth of my first child. It was very effective. I had no appetite and could go forever with no sleep which was a must at that time. Also improved my cardiovascular endurance allowing me to run farther, faster. After I hit my goal weight I used it to maintain for years. Then they took it off the market and CRASH! Turns out it is highly addictive and I did not realize how aggressive it made me. Looking back I can see my temper was short and my head hurt all the time probably because I was dehydrated. I now know it was not good for me and I no longer use diet pills but every morning while I am waiting for my coffee to brew I think to myself "I wish I had some Ephedra!"
  • kristibag81
    Options
    I used Xendrine which used to have Ephedra in it to lose about 20 pounds before my wedding. This was about 8 years ago. I lost about 25 pounds. But, I remember being VERY hateful and short tempered when I took them. I also could not take the pills past late morning (11ish) because I would not sleep. After our wedding, I quit taking them and gained about 10-15 pounds back within a few months.

I prefer to have success the old fashioned way. It just seems like such a greater accomplishment.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I take it now in a stack with caffeine. I cycle off of it every 6 weeks. I take it responsibly (meaning I don't swallow 6 at a time). People say it is cheating, which I disagree with. It is not a magical pill. You still need to work at it. You have to learn to eat better. All it is is an edge, something to get you where you want to go faster.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    drugs are bad, mmkay?
  • Charlie001
    Options
    It is only cheating if you are in a competition and it states no ephedra.
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    I used ephedra when it was available in the states. It helped me curb my appetite and helped me lose weight. I used it as directed and never felt addicted. I was bummed when they took it off the market, but have since learned how to lose weight without the extra edge. I'm not sure I'd take it again at this point.
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I used to take it all the time in my 20s with about three cups of coffee. It got me through a year of working full time, going to school full time, waiting tables part-time on the weekends and having a very active social life. I lost interest in speeding all the time so I stopped taking it. Occasionally, when I take sudafed and drink coffee, I get flashbacks. lol
  • jen_ferrante
    jen_ferrante Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I tried Xenadrine years ago, too. I experienced the same effects as many of you did. I had a short fuse, felt agitated all the time and less accomplished for losing weight while using a drug. Also, when I stopped taking it, I fell right back to my old routine and gained back DOUBLE what I lost! Old fashioned way is the best in my opinion.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My Mom took ephedra for YEARS. She'd buy the packets that had the pop out pills and she'd polish off at least one whole pack a day. She was like superwoman, except in the evening when the pills would start to wear off and she'd get a couple drinks in her... then she would go crazy. She'd scream and yell at everyone, break things, threw her best friend through a window once. It really messed up her head and took a couple years to get her off of it. I still think she may be taking it since she was doing great while she was "clean" and now she seems to have that temper back along with what almost seems like alzheimers as she'll freak out on someone in the evening and then have no recollection of it the next day, and as she HAS quit drinking I know it's not that.

My Mom's habit with ephedring absolutely ruined our family. That temper and habit ended her marriage, countless relationships with family/friends/boyfriends/and myself, her daughter. The funniest part of all is my dad did cocaine he whole adult life and never got out of control in the slightest, makes you think huh?
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Where are people currently taking this? It is banned in the U.S. and only "legal ephedra" products, without any actual ephedrine in them, are for sale.

I took hyrdoxycut back in the day when it was chock full of ephedrine and folks were having heart attacks and strokes off of it. I WAY overdid it and also cut my food back to next to nothing.

I had heart palpitations, often felt sick or light-headed and nearly blacked out several times. I NEVER took more than instructed on the packaging, though I often used their maximum dosage.

I don't like to blame the product for my mis-use of it. But the fact is that even the "legal ephedra" products have been shown to have some adverse side-effects. Even years after I had started eating normally and given up these products I had heart palpitations, causing enough concern for me to go in for an EKG at 22. Some of this is probably due to my poor diet during the pill-taking as well, but given its history, I can't discount the meds.

I don't advocate it and NEVER will to anyone like myself (or like I was at the time anyway) - feeling awful about themselves, desperate to lose weight or do ANYTHING to make them feel better about themselves. It was the perfect addition to a budding eating disorder.

I honestly believe anyone using ephedra or anything like it needs to be strictly monitored by a doctor and should probably have reasons other than "I want to lose weight" for taking it.

Edited to add:

By the way, the minute I stopped taking it I packed the weight on because I'd screwed up my metabolism so much. Probably also from poor diet, but again - I can't discount the ephedra itself.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    Ephedra is banned as a weight loss product. It is a bronchial dilator. I take it in Bronkaid. You have to sign for it in the pharmacy. It is also available via Primatine tablets.

It seems the people who had the most problems were not taking it properly. My dosage is under the recommended dosage on the box.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I used it to lose weight after the birth of my second child, which was only a year after the birth of my first child. It was very effective. I had no appetite and could go forever with no sleep which was a must at that time. Also improved my cardiovascular endurance allowing me to run farther, faster. After I hit my goal weight I used it to maintain for years. Then they took it off the market and CRASH! Turns out it is highly addictive and I did not realize how aggressive it made me. Looking back I can see my temper was short and my head hurt all the time probably because I was dehydrated. I now know it was not good for me and I no longer use diet pills but every morning while I am waiting for my coffee to brew I think to myself "I wish I had some Ephedra!"

Well, of COURSE you crashed! That's what's in meth! You were a speed demon for years and didn't know it. :frown:
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Ephedra is banned as a weight loss product. It is a bronchial dilator. I take it in Bronkaid. You have to sign for it in the pharmacy. It is also available via Primatine tablets.

It seems the people who had the most problems were not taking it properly. My dosage is under the recommended dosage on the box.

This is good though. Like I had mentioned - under the care of a doctor and not just a desperate attempt to lose weight. I think people that don't fit that bill are most likely to abuse it, like I did. And I would also think that the dosage was too high (as a supplement). On the days that I did max it out I was really messed up.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Took it in high school when I was borderline anorexic. I lived on a Pepsi a NutriGrain bar and 3 pills a day. Told myself I needed it because of my bronchitis. Sure.
  • joeybaby66
    Options
    Before ephedra was deemed illegal, I used it with a stack which was one tablet of ephedra, one 200mg. caffiene, and one aspirin tablet. Great results as long as you didn't abuse it. Ephedra should not have been banned in my opinion.
    There are other workout stimulants on the market that if it's overused, your nervous system will run amuck.
    I used the stack about three times a week. Never had a problem. I'd buy it if I could get it legally. It's been around for hundreds of years.
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I took Adipex and I believe it has it in there, but not sure. I know I was sleepy but couldn't sleep and lost about 30lbs in a month. After I stopped, I gained 42 back. Avoid them!
  • monica1515
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your personal stories! I took it as well as the rest of you and can relate to what each of you have stated. I'm very intrigued by this type of drug...
  • binary_jester
    Options
    If you are truly interested, read this...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=555239
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I used Hydroxycut for one day in my early 20s. Scared me so much I almost went to the ER. Heart pounding like I'd just run a mile all day long, profuse sweating, and palpitations. That was the first and last time I ever took a pill to try to lose weight!
  • kcmeek7272
    Options

Well, of COURSE you crashed! That's what's in meth! You were a speed demon for years and didn't know it. :frown:

LOL! A speed demon is exactly what I was and woe to those who tried to stop me. Am in such a better place now! :)