Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas Needed

Options
Hello,

I have a fairly recent celiac diagnosis and I am trying to find some healthy options for breakfast in the morning that don't contain gluten. I used to eat toast, but the gf bread doesn't cut it nor keep you full long. I am not an eggs for breakfast kind of person so I am at a loss. I am getting pretty sick of eating chex cereal for breakfast. Anyone have any ideas, they would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Sallyrose5994
    Options
    Hey friend!

Can you do dairy? I have Greek yogurt with strawberries cut up each morning, and a "kind" bar- which has nuts... I also do a smoothie with spinach, fruit and flax seed. I just use water but I think you could add almond milk or something to make it more filling. On the weekends sometimes I splurge on high quality sausage.. I don't like eggs much either...
    Oh also, sometimes I cut up a banana and put peanut butter or almond butter on the slices to make it a little filling..

Good luck! It takes a while to change your habits...

Sally
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Being gluten free, breakfast is the easiest meal for me. My diary is open if you want to have a look, but recently I have been heavy on the nutrition shakes because I have Crohn's disease and am in a flare, so you may want to go back a bit. Some of my normal things include (besides eggs, which I eat a lot of):

sliced ham, cheese wrapped around sliced avocado
    Hot buckwheat cereal or steel cut oats with maple syrup, nuts, fruit
    Vans gluten free waffles (they are not great, but do as a sub for bread), with peanut butter and banana
    Greek yogurt and fruit
    Think Thin protein bars and a piece of fruit
    smoothies
  • 3cutiepies
    3cutiepies Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I can do dairy but I am not a milk drinker, only drink almond milk. I am kind of on an out with yogurt right now, I think I ate too much of it. I think I just need to think about eating things that aren't considered traditional breakfast food. I love the smoothie idea and the ham and cheese wrapped around an avocado. I love peanut butter buts it is a total trigger food for me so I try and stay away from it. Thanks for the ideas!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    The options for you are endless.
  • lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    Options
    I eat nuts and fruit for breakfast almost every day. Usually cashews or almonds (lightly salted) and a pear or an apple. I agree that the Van's GF toaster waffles are good in a pinch. They are cheap too. I have also been enjoying brown rice tortillas with avocado, salt, pepper, and a little Tapatio or Cholula hot sauce. Oatmeal is good too. Oats have trace amounts of gluten unless you buy GF oats though. I make enough for a week and microwave a half cup for breakfast so it's fast. You can put all kinds of things in there: peanut butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, frozen berries, raisins, almond milk, go crazy!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
  • 3cutiepies
    Options
    I eat nuts and fruit for breakfast almost every day. Usually cashews or almonds (lightly salted) and a pear or an apple. I agree that the Van's GF toaster waffles are good in a pinch. They are cheap too. I have also been enjoying brown rice tortillas with avocado, salt, pepper, and a little Tapatio or Cholula hot sauce. Oatmeal is good too. Oats have trace amounts of gluten unless you buy GF oats though. I make enough for a week and microwave a half cup for breakfast so it's fast. You can put all kinds of things in there: peanut butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, frozen berries, raisins, almond milk, go crazy!

What brand of Brown Rice Tortilla's do you buy? The ones I have tried so far have been so chewy and hard you could break a tooth!
  • Peacockbutterfly
    Peacockbutterfly Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Udi's GF bread? I actually really like it if it is toasted. I really love smoothies with protein powder in them in the morning. I have also recently started eating egg whites some days and then Greek yogurt with some Kind GF granola. That meal will fill me all day. I also love frittatas but haven't made them recently. I haven't been diagnosed as having celiac but I am definitely gluten intolerant and figured it out a couple of years ago. It takes time to get used to it but you will! My friends have access to my diary and anyone can feel free to add me. Every once in awhile I will treat myself to wheat, like I did today, but I'm already regretting it...
  • lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    Options

What brand of Brown Rice Tortilla's do you buy? The ones I have tried so far have been so chewy and hard you could break a tooth!

lol probably the kind you are referring to. I've just kind of gotten used to the texture/kind of like that it gives me something to monch. I agree with Peacock about Udi's. Not all GF bread is created equal! Try as many different kinds as you can and toast them all. Udi's makes good products. Their tortillas (I don't think they are brown rice tho) are much more like your traditional soft flour tortilla.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options

lol probably the kind you are referring to. I've just kind of gotten used to the texture/kind of like that it gives me something to monch. I agree with Peacock about Udi's. Not all GF bread is created equal! Try as many different kinds as you can and toast them all. Udi's makes good products. Their tortillas (I don't think they are brown rice tho) are much more like your traditional soft flour tortilla.

Dave's Killer Bread has a gluten free one that is amazing.
  • 3cutiepies
    Options
    I have been using Udi's bread, I guess I will just have to get used to how dry it is. It's definitely better for toast than eating it for plain bread. Unfortunately I can't handle eating even small amounts of gluten. I have not heard or seen the Dave's bread yet.
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I alternate between Greek yoghurt, chia seeds, fresh and dried fruit (or just a home-made fruit & nut mix) ... and eggs with veggies. If I have access to gluten-free oats, I will do either oatmeal/porridge with some raisins or a cold oats with yoghurt, prunes and chia seed concoction.

On Saturdays the family has a tradition of pancakes, so I will either use a gluten-free flour blend to make some, or have some other recipe - I found one that uses only eggs and cream cheese that work quite well.
  • Nora7080
    Nora7080 Posts: 4
    Options
    Have you tried breakfast quinoa? I eat a lot of quinoa for breakfast -- it's high in protein, gluten-free and is great either sweet or savory. Here's one recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/314453/breakfast-quinoa

I also like Udi's GF waffles with peanut butter on top.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you can tolerate gf oats you could make up your own muesli. We do big batches of it with oats, flaxseed, nuts and raisins or dried apricots. Yummy and filling.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Have you tried breakfast quinoa? I eat a lot of quinoa for breakfast -- it's high in protein, gluten-free and is great either sweet or savory. Here's one recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/314453/breakfast-quinoa

I also like Udi's GF waffles with peanut butter on top.

Speaking of quinoa, these quinoa spinach cakes are delicious for breakfast lunch or dinner.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/06/quinoa-and-spinach-patties.html