Excercises you did when you were Morbidly obese

Options

Replies

• tink11464
    tink11464 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great START for sure!!! I started at 348lbs and couldn't even walk or stand for more than 5-10 minutes, so I didn't even have exercise on the radar for quite a while. But I stuck with MFP, logging all foods, and finally was able to walk again (YAY). Now I just walk. Did my first 5k on March 15th. Came in last - but I did it!!! Your weight will come off - just keep logging!!! GOOD LUCK!!! :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Walking, walking and more walking is how I started.
    [...]
    I don't ever think it is too early to start with weightlifting either - all depends on if you have access to the weights. At my heaviest I couldn't really do squats or deadlifts, so I stuck with other basic lifts until I had lost enough weight and gained enough mobility to work a full routine.

All of this. Seriously, even if you're just doing those wall pushups or heavily modified bodyweight stuff, it's hugely beneficial, because you're maintaining muscle (which really, you have quite a bit of -- it takes a lot to move that kind of weight around!), which keeps your metabolism up, and helps keep you from getting injured.

I do boxing now, and I've seen a few people who probably qualify as "morbidly obese" there. They have to modify a lot of the calisthenic movements (jumping jacks, planks, etc), but they're doing great with it, so the usual recommendations of walking, swimming, etc., while great suggestions, are by no means the only ones, so don't be afraid to look into classes that can become higher intensity.
    Watch the YouTube instructionals and learn to do the "Thriller" dance.

Okay, now I want to do that just to say I can do the "Thriller" dance. :D
  • ontherightpath14
    ontherightpath14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I am just so self conscious that the thought of exercising where anyone can see me gives me anxiety. So for now I am focusing on my diet. When I lose some of the weight hopefully I will feel better about myself and then I will start to move more. Add me if you want, I would love to be part of your support system.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is getting your heart rate up and keeping it up for at least an hour a day to burn fat. Starting at a higher weight reasonably you can do less to achieve this. Such as walking 3mph - 4mph, cycling at a steady speed, swimming, etc. Don't push yourself, aim to improve your time over time and keep at it :)

I agree with this. When I started out, I walked around my neighborhood. I too felt like it wasn't enough, so I began to swim laps in my pool. The one thing to keep in mind is you can always challenge yourself to go a little further or faster. I was afraid of doing anything overly strenuous at first because I had not exercised in so long that I was afraid I would hurt myself. Once I lost about 60 lbs., I began trying different things like mountain biking, hiking, jog/walking (which in my neck of the woods we like to call wogging!) I would use a treadmill primarily and jog for 1 minute at 4.5 mph, then walk 4 minutes at 3.5 mph. I also started increasing the incline when using the treadmill. I tried the elliptical, but that really hurt my toes for some weird reason... probably user error!

Now that I have lost more weight, I now hike several days a week, go to the gym for SPIN classes, weight lifting and treadmill, ride my mountain bike either on street or in the desert hills around my house and I play on a co-ed softball team.

Go at the pace you feel most comfortable... don't be in a rush, the weight is going to come off no matter what because you have changed your habits. Just keep going...
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    I did table pushaways first. For the first 40-50 lbs or so.

At that point, I FELT so much better... walking was a chore at that point.

Table Push aways????
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I started out just walking for the first 4 months or so, then I joined the gym. At the gym I would use the ellipse machine, exercise bike and walk on the track. Mostly low/non-impact stuff. I also started weight lifting when I joined the gym. Swimming is good option as well, as it's non-impact.
  • kmorales_4
    kmorales_4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Great job getting started. BTW, you're GOREGEOUS!
  • venturaroo
    venturaroo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I started out walking on the treadmill and doing water aerobics. The hardest part was just being in a swimsuit in public :noway:
    Increased my walking over time and after I lost about 50 pounds, I joined a gym and hired a trainer.
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started out at 365, possibly more (my scale wouldn't go over 350, and the one time I got on an old fashioned medical scale @ the doctors office I was 365). Anyway, to lose 13lbs in 23 days is a good rate. That's quite literally over half a pound a day. I wouldn't push yourself to lose much faster, or you will regret it when it comes to loose skin. As a bigger person, you will already most likely have loose skin (I do, just sayin). Also, losing faster can negatively effect your liver & gallbladder (I know from personal experience). Just be careful and be PROUD of what you're doing thus far. You don't want it all gone tomorrow, trust me. Allow the time that it takes you to lose the weight to be the time that you allow yourself to adjust mentally, as well as physically and socially (believe me, it's a thing).
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    All of this. Seriously, even if you're just doing those wall pushups or heavily modified bodyweight stuff, it's hugely beneficial, because you're maintaining muscle (which really, you have quite a bit of -- it takes a lot to move that kind of weight around!), which keeps your metabolism up, and helps keep you from getting injured.

I do boxing now, and I've seen a few people who probably qualify as "morbidly obese" there. They have to modify a lot of the calisthenic movements (jumping jacks, planks, etc), but they're doing great with it, so the usual recommendations of walking, swimming, etc., while great suggestions, are by no means the only ones, so don't be afraid to look into classes that can become higher intensity.
    Watch the YouTube instructionals and learn to do the "Thriller" dance.

Okay, now I want to do that just to say I can do the "Thriller" dance. :D

+1 on the boxing. I lost 40 lbs walking and following a 5K training app before I started boxing back in early September 2013. I had to modify a LOT. I'm finally at a point that I don't need to modify nearly as many calisthenic exercises. I'm hoping to be free of modifying anything at all within a few weeks and I've lost another 40 lbs since. I also bought a bike and will be training for a cross-state tour next summer when the weather starts cooperating.
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill and have occasional bursts of jogging or running. I also have some dumb bells that I walk with and do arm excersizes with. This takes a bit more co-ordination but Im okay. I also use the 7 minute workout app which makes me feel like I've actually worked. Which is good. It is difficult but think of it this way. Any movement is better than no movement!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you can walk, you can SKATE (but wear knee pads and wrist guards). Skating does WONDERS and is less impact than walking, but more aerobic. When I started, I couldn't even skate non-stop the length of one 3-minute song. NOW I can casually skate for three hours straight non-stop (except for sips of water). My endurance is THRU THE ROOF.

This is a great idea. Skating, especially if you don't know how to now, is great for your core. Just trying to balance yourself on skates will provide a great workout. Ditto for roller skating.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend Hip Hop Abs enough if you like workout videos. The short video is on youtube and it's tons of fun to do, and you can push yourself harder or less as you need. Also Wii Fit is a LOT of fun, so is Dance Dance Revolution and games like that. Zumba is pretty great too. Swimming is an awesome exercise because it's easy on your joints AND it burns more calories than almost anything else.

Also, you're doing great with what you've lost already! Don't give up!
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    at 250 and 5'5" I am considered morbidly obese.

But I do fluidity or barre workouts since they are body weight, low impact and ballet based ( I was a dancer in HS and college). I find that they get my heart rate up, work out my whole body and at about 20 minutes a workout make me feel accomplished.

I also lift weights and love it. Even if you start with soup cans and work up it's more than nothing. I started with 2 pound weights and now, after roughly 4 months I'm up to 10 ponders. I use workouts I find on youtube on a subscription (XHIT). I love them. They are short and there are so many that I can choose from so I never get bored.

I also walk but I hate the bike and I'm not a fan of running. Also, I love the water and once the pool by my house and at my mom's is opened I will be in them!!

But, I'm not the "average" Morbidly obese person either according to my doctor ... I've always been very active playing sports and dancing which is part of why my internals are in awesome shape. I'm just trying to get the outside to match the inside lol.

Good luck to you!!
    (PS feel free to add me as a friend!!)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Leslie Sansone walking videos? She adds sidesteps, kicks and knee raises so it is not straight walking. It might add a little bit of difficulty to regular walking. There are many videos to choose from and you can add weights to add difficulty.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Water based activities like swimming and aqua aerobics are a great way to start because you can get your heart rate up without putting unnecessary stress on your joints. I started that way and moved on to more land based stuff as I got lighter and stronger.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I did table pushaways first. For the first 40-50 lbs or so.

At that point, I FELT so much better... walking was a chore at that point.

Table Push aways????
    yes. just eating less.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Do what you can, and don't be afraid to modify movements. The key is to keep at it - you will get stronger and fitter!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    BUMP -- to read later.
    All SUCH great advice.

:)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Walking. I live in a major city with tons of people, and since I was never comfortable being fat and exercising in public, I actually began walking late at night. It sparked off a deep love for night walking that I still have.

I loved walking so damn much that, to this day, it's my preferred workout. I speed walk though, at a pace that out performs many joggers and slower runners. I typically do 8-10 miles when I do walk, it gets my heartrate up pretty high, drenches me in sweat, and it burns a ridiculous amount of calories. My wife became a novice runner doing the C25K and she was floored that she couldn't keep up with me on a walk even while running. She was exhausted in the first 5 minutes.

I really wish more obese and morbidly obese people would stop lamenting about joining a gym, or starting with high impact aerobics that they can't do well, and realize that we're made to walk, and it's a GREAT way to get into the swing of things.