How many times a week do you workout ?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Usually 5 days per week...sometimes 6 but I find that my overall performance is best when I have a couple of rest days.

Rest days don't mean I just sit around and do nothing...it means that I'm not going to do anything vigorous or overly taxing to allow my body some recovery. I usually take the dog for a walk (and I do that at least 3-5 days per week anyway beyond my actual exercise) or I'll take the kiddos to the pool and play around with them...do some restorative yoga, play a round of golf with the fellas, etc. I'm generally active on my rest days, not just sitting around watching t.v. or whatever. My rest days currently are Sunday and Friday. They kind of change as my training changes and/or my schedule changes. I always have at least one day on the weekend that is a rest day so that I have time to get **** done around the house (yard work, staining the deck, fixing things, etc) and run errands and whatnot.

I'm a little confused on how 5 days per week vs 6 days per week would somehow make you go off track...it's just one extra rest day...and again, you can just be generally active on rest days. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be balls to the wall all of the time...in fact, that's really not very good at all for your overall fitness.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    5 days

Monday- 1 hour Personal Training Session
    Tuesday-run 5k's, then 30 minutes of squats, abs, pushups, planks
    Wednesday-OFF
    Thursday-1 hour bootcamp, followed by 30 mins uphill on treadmill
    Friday-1 hour Personal Training Session
    Saturday-OFF
    Sunday-run 5k's, then 30 minutes of squats, abs, pushups, planks
  • mmmskyler
    mmmskyler Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just recently started going back to the gym, and am working out for about a hour a day, Monday - Friday.
    Typically, I do one day of stationary bike for a hour, with 8 pound weights, one day of weights only, and run at least a mile a day on other days. Saturdays we typically do something involving the dog, which means walking or hiking for a hour or more.

I also have a fitbit, which drives me to hit 5 miles a day. I hit this every day, except Saturday and Sunday (where I get about 3 miles). I will walk/run until I get to that goal a day.

I try to really listen to my body. If I don't feel like doing it, I don't go as hard, or for as long. Sometimes I break up my running into two gym trips a day.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Low demand dog then. I have a cattle dog and 45 - 60 minutes a day is the minimum (aside from the time he spends with he dog walker while i am at work)
    Not excessive imo, and varied . i need to add some variety myself

Oh, luckily my dog gets more walks than just with me! My BF also walks our dog. Sometimes we alternate, and sometimes we all walk together. We also do a lot of playing in the yard. My golden just recently got her own FitBit-like pedometer (called a Whistle), so we are working on increasing her activity even more! Poor girl is also on a diet. Nobody's got it easy in our house (except maybe the fish)!
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    5 or 6, crossfit and short runs.
  • shanique1919
    shanique1919 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently. Start working out 6 times a week I started doing the rockin' body workout with Shaun T I am feeling pretty good now in myself hoping to see some great results
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I workout 5-6 days a week in the early mornings. Admittedly I over due it and yes I feel guilt on rest days. Rest days for me are usually 30 minutes on my upright bike at home. lol
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I run for 30-45min five days a week :)
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    About 5 times/week, but I try to limit those times to under about 40 minutes. It includes heavy weights, plyometrics, HIIT, maybe some sprints, etc--I mix it up and pretty much just try and kick my *kitten*.

Sometimes I'll walk the dog or go for a long forest walk/run, but in general I stick to the more intense, faster workouts.
  • winyin
    winyin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I work out 4 to 5 days a week. Two days of Weight training 60 minutes, 5 days of jogging (trying to get ready for a 5 K Mud Run) no less then 30 minutes, One day Piyo (combination of pilates and yoga) 60 minutes, Zumba for 60 Minutes and I'm adding a line dancing class next month which will also be 60 minutes. I figure anything that keeps you moving is exercise.
  • quackmunch
    quackmunch Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I usually workout around 6-8 times a week, sometimes twice on the same day:

Monday - 50mins yoga
    Tuesday - spin class
    Wednesday - weight training
    Thursday - spin class (am) and 50mins yoga (pm)
    Friday - weight training
    Saturday - 50 mins yoga
    Sunday - weight training.

Saying that sometimes I miss a Monday or Thursday yoga session, or the odd weight training session if I'm busy with work or other things, hence the 6-8 times :)
  • Mydailytrack
    Mydailytrack Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 times a week for one hour each.. 2 zumba classes, 2 body weight classes & 2 free weight classes.. On Sundays, if time & weather permits I go for 30 mins moderate-speed walking.. I don't feel guilty about a rest day.. I just pick up the next day & move on..
  • wannalose25
    wannalose25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week-35-40 mins of cardio and abd work out. I take Saturday's/Sabbath off to rest my temple and visit God's temple, and I don't feel guilty about it at all. I started working out again about 2 weeks ago, and I've lost 5 lbs, but mainly, I FEEL GREAT!!
  • jsinger1515
    jsinger1515 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I will be 3 weeks into my weight loss this coming Monday. The first two weeks I bicycled 10mph for 30 minutes about 4 times per week. I recently joined a Cross Fit gym to do their "Weight Loss Boot Camp" (not Cross Fit) which is 35 minutes of circuit training, 6 days per week (Monday-Saturday). I intend to take a long, yet leisure, bicycle ride for an hour on Sunday mornings.
  • april34josey
    Options
    I usually workout 5-6 times a week.....heavy weight training followed by 20-30 min high intensity interval training (i.e. uphill sprints, running stairs, etc) my workout are about 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours long .........if I feel like I need more rest I take it......rest is apart of losing fat and gaining muscle
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I could never workout 90 minutes, six days a week with my family obligations. I go swimming three times a week, an hour at a time. I get exercise off days by doing a bit of strength training, and playing with my very active daughter.
  • SincerelyHiatus
    SincerelyHiatus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I workout 3 days a week, and do the same things every time: treadmill, elliptical, various weightlifting.

How much/often you exercise is really up to you. Just make sure that, in regards to weightlifting, you're not working the same muscle groups two days in a row. :)

Keep in mind I also walk my dog for about 20 minutes every day too - hopefully going to be closer to 30 mins or an hour once the weather warms up.
  • IsaTexDesigner
    IsaTexDesigner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do 1 hour of circuit/strength training 6 days a week, and row 10-20k afterwards. I finish everything by 8am, before my son wakes up.
  • crystal075
    crystal075 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello, I work out 6 days a week. I make sure I lift weights for major muscle groups 4 days a week for at least an hour. As for cardio, I do 2 days of Turbo Kick, and the remaining 4 days, I do up to 45 minutes of either walking, elliptical, videos, running, yoga, or HIIT. So bottom line is that I work out 6 days a week, I vary with duration from 45 minutes to 2.5 hours, and I incorporate intense to light exercises to challenge my body.
  • missjmariam
    missjmariam Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week.
    I do 90% cardio and 10 % strength (after i drop another 10 lbs i will do the strength training much more to tighten and tone).

M 45 mins treadmill (half walk brisk pace 4.5mph /half run 6.5mph)
    T REST
    W 45 mins elliptical on level 10-14 in intervals and then i run on the treadmill at 6.5mph for 15 minutes
    T 45 mins elliptical on level 10-14 in intervals and then i run on the treadmill at 6.5mph for 15 minutes
    F 45 mins elliptical on level 10-14 in intervals and then i run on the treadmill at 6.5mph for 15 minutes
    S 45 mins on elliptical and 30 minutes treadmill, 20 min strength training
    S 45 mins on elliptical and 30 minutes treadmill, 20 min strength training