Trouble Meeting Calorie Goal

Options
Ever since I started using MFP, I've never been able to meet my calorie goal. It's just too ****ing high! It's gotten to the point where I don't want to exercise exercising means increasing the calorie goal. I'm at college, so my eating options are limited to whatever is on the menu that day, but it seems like the only way I'd be able to reach my goal is either eating junk food every day or having to eat three plates of 'healthy' food. How am I supposed to meet my calorie goal and cut back on junk food when it seems like the only way to meet the calorie goal is to eat way more than I usually do?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods. Avacados, full-fat dairy, nothing "diet", nuts, peanut butter, etc...

Also if you opened your diary, gave what your calorie goal is and any sort of info about yourself you'd get more helpful answers.
  • SpiderByte
    Options
    My goal is apparently 2140. I'm 6'1, about 230 now.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    How did you get fat, then?
    /Thread

It's easy to hit or vastly exceed calorie goal or TDEE eating ice cream and pizza. Its harder eating chicken breast and broccoli. I've been in the boat of struggling to eat enough while on a diet of healthy foods.

Having some of your calories as a liquid in the form of something like a protein shake with milk can help.
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Lol I eat 3200 calories of healthy food a day. You just have to increase frequency of meals. I eat 6 meals a day
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    My goal is apparently 2140. I'm 6'1, about 230 now.

That's really not a lot. I'm 5'4 137 lbs and my goal is 1700. So if I had your numbers and i reached my protein macro ... I'd go to Dairy Queen.
  • SpiderByte
    Options
    I'm at college, and the cafeteria closes. So I can only get three meals a day, four if I bring up an apple or something to save for later.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm at college, and the cafeteria closes. So I can only get three meals a day, four if I bring up an apple or something to save for later.

Buy a container of peanut butter.
    Eat the peanut butter with some dark chocolate.
    Or by itself.
    Bam.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Lol I eat 3200 calories of healthy food a day. You just have to increase frequency of meals. I eat 6 meals a day

Are you in college on a campus with regular classes and generally access to only buffet style cafeteria's during the day?

It can be difficult for some based on where they are in their lives. Recognize that not everyone has the resources or time that you may have or even as something as simple as access to a refrigerator and a stove.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options

Can you buy your own groceries? You can buy some cheap foods for a good filling snack.

I went to college too...that's how I got fat.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

Can you buy your own groceries? You can buy some cheap foods for a good filling snack.

I went to college too...that's how I got fat.

^
    Took me one year of college to undo 3 years of weight loss and maintenance.
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    as a matter of fact i am in college attending regular classes with a ****ty cafe. i cook all my food sunday and put the in tuperware containers and heat them up in the microwave
  • SpiderByte
    Options
    Not to mention the fact that largely I don't know how many calories some of the meals have. I had a Buffalo Chicken wrap today, and trying to enter it in was insane. There are literally dozens of calorie entries for the same food item, and I don't know which ones are accurate to the thing I've actually eaten.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Copied from the interwebs. You are welcome

"Here's how much of each food group you should be eating for a well-balanced 2,000-calorie-a-day diet—as well as some ways to eat the right amount.

FRUITS & VEGETABLES
    How much you should be eating if you need 2,000 calories a day:
    2 cups fruit, 2 1/2 cups vegetables

What a daily dose might look like:
    1 medium apple
    + 1 cup berries
    + 12 baby carrots
    + 1 cup cooked vegetables

GRAINS (MAKE AT LEAST HALF YOUR GRAINS WHOLE)
    6 ounce equivalents

1 English muffin
    + a 5-inch tortilla
    + 1 slice bread
    + 1 cup rice

LOW-FAT DAIRY
    3 cups

1 cup milk or soymilk
    + 1 cup yogurt
    + 1/3 cup shredded cheese

PROTEIN
    5 1/2 ounce equivalents

3 ounces cooked salmon, chicken or beef
    + 12 almonds
    + 1/4 cup cooked beans

Related: 6 of the Healthiest Fish to Eat, 6 to Avoid

SOFAS (SOLID FATS & ADDED SUGARS)
    ≤258 calories

2-ounce candy bar or a glazed donut

I'd be remiss not to mention that you don't have to eat SoFAS. This is the recommended daily limit, so aim to stick within this parameter.

OILS & SALT
    ≤27 g oils,
    ≤2,300 mg salt

≤5 1/2 tsp. oil
    ≤1 tsp. salt
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Add more calorie dense foods to your meals. Depending on what's available at your cafeteria, look for nuts, nut butter, avocado, full fat dairy, Greek yogurt, cheese, ice cream, sour cream, full calorie dressings and condiments, etc. It should be pretty easy to increase each meal by a few hundred calories without adding a lot of food to your diet.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

"Here's how much of each food group you should be eating for a well-balanced 2,000-calorie-a-day diet—as well as some ways to eat the right amount.

FRUITS & VEGETABLES

1 medium apple
    + 1 cup berries
    + 12 baby carrots

6 ounce equivalents

1 English muffin
    + a 5-inch tortilla
    + 1 slice bread
    + 1 cup rice

LOW-FAT DAIRY
    3 cups

1 cup milk or soymilk
    + 1 cup yogurt

PROTEIN
    5 1/2 ounce equivalents

+ 12 almonds
    + 1/4 cup cooked beans

≤258 calories

I'd be remiss not to mention that you don't have to eat SoFAS. This is the recommended daily limit, so aim to stick within this parameter.

OILS & SALT
    ≤27 g oils,
    ≤2,300 mg salt

≤5 1/2 tsp. oil
    ≤1 tsp. salt

Please stop.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    as a matter of fact i am in college attending regular classes with a ****ty cafe. i cook all my food sunday and put the in tuperware containers and heat them up in the microwave

Well not everyone has money, but that's awesome. I should have done that when I was in college.

But OP, the reason people gain weight in college :

1. Alcohol
    2. Cafeteria food

While, I get that you only can do 3 meals a day ... I think you could probably eat 2100 calories in 3 meals.

If you can spend $20 on groceries a week for your room...get some nuts, eggs, milk, a few fruits and veggies, might not even be $20 ... and snack on them in between meals.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not to mention the fact that largely I don't know how many calories some of the meals have. I had a Buffalo Chicken wrap today, and trying to enter it in was insane. There are literally dozens of calorie entries for the same food item, and I don't know which ones are accurate to the thing I've actually eaten.

Probably none of them to be honest..

You are in college...go have a beer, eat some ice cream, the peanut butter and chocolate sounds great....

Just because you are trying to lose weight doesn't mean you have to give up food like that, just eat reasonable portions.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    i cook all my food

So you had a kitchen then. Not everyone in college has a kitchen. When I was in college 15 years ago I did not have a kitchen nor was I anywhere near a grocery store nor did I have a car. I didn't even have a refrigerator so its not like access to a grocery store would have helped all that much anyways.

All I am saying is you must understand that not everyone has the resources you have and you first have to determine what they are capable of doing before just laughing and saying you do it easily.

So, OP...do you have access to a kitchen? If so that could help because yes if you can cook your meals on a weekend in preparation for the week you can plan it out better.
  • SpiderByte
    Options

FRUITS & VEGETABLES

1 medium apple
    + 1 cup berries
    + 12 baby carrots

6 ounce equivalents

1 English muffin
    + a 5-inch tortilla
    + 1 slice bread
    + 1 cup rice

LOW-FAT DAIRY
    3 cups

1 cup milk or soymilk
    + 1 cup yogurt

PROTEIN
    5 1/2 ounce equivalents

+ 12 almonds
    + 1/4 cup cooked beans

≤258 calories

OILS & SALT
    ≤27 g oils,
    ≤2,300 mg salt

≤5 1/2 tsp. oil
    ≤1 tsp. salt

Literally almost everything on this list consists of things they don't serve here. Or at least not on a very consistent basis.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options

Didn't think about logging...hmm..

Well if losing weight really means a lot to you ... then maybe lower your calorie goal by a few hundred calories. That way it can make up for some errors in your estimations.