What's up with Intermittent Fasting?

Options
I'm a fool when it comes to this so please if you have knowledge of the subject, SHARE :smile:

I'm interested in learning more about...

1. Exactly what it is
2. If you personally have had success or failure with it
3. Does it affect the types/ amounts of foods you eat
4. How long is your fasting period

Basically just share whatever you feel appropriate, looking to learn more :smile:

Thanks!

Replies

• nourishnotpunish
    Options
    Help :sad:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    There are dozens of intermittent fasting threads on this board, and a few intermittent fasting groups. All the answers you need are in those.

Here's one group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting
  • sarah5893
    sarah5893 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
  • travishalogod
    travishalogod Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I have done a lot of research on this subject but never have done it myself. I personally feel it is not the healthiest thing to do and my personal priority is to maintain health, not just lose weight.
    Intermittent fasting is when you go x amount of days/hours without eating and then continue eating as normal (or on a specific diet plan). It ranges between fasting, the most common i have seen is one full day of fasting, usually sunday, per week.
    This does put your body into starvation mode and there are a lot of 'benifits' to it, or so people think. As a personal trainer I am not a nutritionist but from what i know i would never suggest this for anyone in any way as food is fuel and the best way to increase your metabolism is through proper meal frequency and exercise. With everything I know, this does stop your metabolism after no eating and you have to start over, but there are 'studies' that show otherwise, which i personally see as bogus, but the best thing to do is your own research and see the benifits/risks for yourself. Any questions about this or anything, feel free to email me bodiesbytravis@gmail.com
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    I'm a fool when it comes to this so please if you have knowledge of the subject, SHARE :smile:

1. Exactly what it is

Basically just share whatever you feel appropriate, looking to learn more :smile:

Thanks!

1. It's an eating pattern/style.

2. I love it. It's keeping me on track with my goals.

3. It doesn't. It's just a way to eat. Some people say you can "go all out" on your feeding hours/days but the rules of calories in/calories out still apply. If you fast for 16 hours and eat 5,000 calories you won't lose weight just because you're fasting. You still must follow the general diet rules of eating a lot of nutrient dense food. Some people eat higher Protein/Fat on certain days and higher Carbs on training days (gym days) but I don't really follow it that much. I just follow the fasting periods.

4. I follow the LeanGains style of IF (there are at least 4 different fasting styles/techniques but I'll talk in regards specifically about LeanGains). Basically men will follow the 16/8 protocol and women follow the 14/10 protocol. Meaning men fast for 16 hours and have 8 hours to eat all their calories, women 14/10. What time you start eating does not matter. Say you (as a woman) started eating at 1pm in the afternoon, you eat however many calories you're supposed to eat in a day and quit eating by 11pm. You wouldn't again start eating until 1pm the next day.

IF seems to have helped me lose a few extra pounds but it could be a lot of other reasons why I'm losing a few extra pounds here & there (more vigorous workouts, don't know tbh). It's more less an eating pattern than a diet (what you eat).

I would suggest to start slow if you want to IF.

Check these out for more info:
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-definitive-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/ (Best guide)
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/
    http://www.thehackedmind.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146880263
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Hey,

I have done a lot of research on this subject but never have done it myself. I personally feel it is not the healthiest thing to do and my personal priority is to maintain health, not just lose weight.
    Intermittent fasting is when you go x amount of days/hours without eating and then continue eating as normal (or on a specific diet plan). It ranges between fasting, the most common i have seen is one full day of fasting, usually sunday, per week.
    This does put your body into starvation mode and there are a lot of 'benifits' to it, or so people think. As a personal trainer I am not a nutritionist but from what i know i would never suggest this for anyone in any way as food is fuel and the best way to increase your metabolism is through proper meal frequency and exercise. With everything I know, this does stop your metabolism after no eating and you have to start over, but there are 'studies' that show otherwise, which i personally see as bogus, but the best thing to do is your own research and see the benifits/risks for yourself. Any questions about this or anything, feel free to email me bodiesbytravis@gmail.com

From an article I read on IF they did a study that metabolic rate didn't start to decline until after 72 hours of fasting and it was only by 8% or so. Source: (http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-definitive-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Proof positive that personal trainers are often just as ignorant and clueless as anybody else.

Do not listen to this man. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about on this subject.
  • sfdcubfan
    sfdcubfan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey - I just started my IF journey while doing Body Beast.

As usual, I'm keeping track of the macros on MFP, but other than for my recovery drink after my (very) early morning workout, I only eat between the hours of 10-6.

The 6 pm cut off time is about my usual anyway (because I crash early), so the only oddball thing was waiting until 10:00 am to have "breakfast," which is really a combo of fruit and nuts.

I got on MFP originally to lose weight (130 -> 115), but I decided that on my 5'8" frame, maybe 130 lbs isn't so bad if I'm doing a hard core program like Body Beast (with Asylum used for cardio), and so I've upped my minimum calories to 1700/day, tho on rest days I definitely reduce to 1400 cals.

The goal now is to keep the weight and change the composition. The DEXA scan I had in February said 25.5% bodyfat (bones were excellent, and organ-tissue fat ratio was also excellent). If I could "gain" 10 lbs of lean muscle but keep my weight the same, I should be able to drop that number to under 20%.

Hard to do at age 47....but that's the plan.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Please, if you are a personal trainer you have the responsibility to get well informed. How is it possible that you are so 25 years behind current science ? What you are saying about starvation mode is ABSOLUTELY wrong. It has been scientifically proven that meal frequency is really not important and is a matter of personal preference and nothing else. Nothing will ever stop your/my/everyone elses metabolism, except death. Please make an effort to be up-to-date with what you teach your clients.....with all due respect, it's kind of embarrassing to read your post.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Proof positive that personal trainers are often just as ignorant and clueless as anybody else.

Do not listen to this man. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about on this subject.

lol

OP

www.leangains.com as stated previously
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's a way of eating that involves periods of fasting (eating and drinking nothing but water) and periods of eating anything you want within reason. Some do it every day and alternate hours of eating and not eating, others do it in a way where they alternate days of eating and not eating.

There are quite a few systems each mostly differ by what periods you spend not eating. The daily variety was mentioned above where, say, you basically skip breakfast or dinner and including your sleep hours you should be able to spend 14-18 hours a day without eating. An example of the second variety is the 5:2, some do a 4:3. It involves either complete abstinence from food and drinks other than water for 2 or 3 days a week, or limits those days to 500-600 calories, while you continue eating normally for the remaining 5 or 4 days.

The main purpose of such a system is to limit the hours you eat, therefore limiting how much you are able to eat while giving you more leeway in terms of types and amounts of food you are eating. It kind of reminds me of the old "don't eat after 6 in the evening". It works, but not because of some magic.. you are simply consuming less calories.

I have tried it, and it actually worked for me until the amounts of food I was consuming stated to increase gradually to the point where I was consuming over my maintenance. The type where you go days without eating worked slightly better because on free days I kept consuming the same amount of calories which did not increase, and on fasting days I had nothing but water.

It will work for you if any of these apply:
    1. Your calorie budget is tight
    2. You are a volume eater, and just can't bring yourself to eat regular portions
    3. You have the patience to go hours or days without eating

Cons:
    1. You will feel hungry at first, until you get used it
    2. Weight loss is not guaranteed in the long run since you tend to adapt and increase your calories, after all how many overweight people already skip breakfast?
    3. The type where you go days without eating is not very practical if you have an active job, and may not be sustainable
    4. If you decide the diet is not for you, you will have the same hard time you had when you started reducing your calories since you will have to eat smaller portions.

All in all, it's nothing special, just an eating strategy to help reduce calories consumed and it works wonderfully for some and not at all for others. An insulin dependant diabetic for example could be playing with fire there, and some insulin resistant women may have a worsened condition due to stress hormones released when you don't eat. Men have shown more positive results in general, but as with any diet, you need to keep an eye on your health.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off for a year...while it didn't make my scale move big time I look lot leaner and fat layer definitely thinner
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

1. Exactly what it is

Thanks!
    Been on it for 3 weeks and so far so good. Everything clicked for me when my trainer said you go on 24 hour cycles, not necessarily for a full "day". Many tout the 5:2 where you fast twice a week. (monday and thur seem to be popular days).

You can do a full day, but for me what I do is 24 hours. Example last meal on sunday around 7pm. I wont eat again until 7pm monday, and then eat "normally" for 24 hours and repeat (I do it M-W-F) or wait until the next day you decide.
    It hooked me when it is touted you dont go a full day without eating like from rise to going to bed. Find out your intake to maintain, hit that for the 24 hours of eating, and fast the other 24 is what I have been doing.
    The times I fast I know I willl be eating dinner so it isnt too bad, and maybe go for 400-600 on that meal for dinner.
    In the end it basically means you are at a deficit for however many days you fast, and at your maintian the others.

Personally I go below my maintain on the eat 24 by about 500 to help ramp it all up.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Wow man. Top notch advice right here... said no one ever.

I don't mean to be a jerk but...

Just looking at your post history you are part of the problem with the health and fitness industry. A bunch of misinformation and unfounded claims that you just reiterate without any basic understanding of fitness or nutrition... Take the time to actually learn and absorb information. Also, spell check....
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

1. Exactly what it is

1. It is an eating pattern

2. I am currently doing IF, LeanGains protocol. Since Aug. 6th, 2013

3. For what I am doing....you try to partition your macros....based on if it is a rest day or workout day.
    You eat more calories on workout days, and less on rest days

4. My fasting period is from 8pm - ~1pm usually.....
    Sometimes I will stop eating at 730pm....
    But still in that area
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hey,

29683-Emma-Stone-no-no-no-gif-XKS5.gif
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I have to strongly disagree here.
    But that is me.

My health markers have been better since doing IF
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Pre agriculture Humans survived just fine on a feast or famine so I don't see why everyone thinks fasting or on the flip side eating 6 meals a day affects your metabolism. Giving your body toxic waste is the real problem. Too many chemicals in the food we eat. You don't see many obese people that eat organic meats and vegetables do we?? I would think a lot less diabetes, cancer and pill poppers as well. Eat when your hungry and eat well. This is shift I am working towards.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Pre agriculture Humans survived just fine on a feast or famine so I don't see why everyone thinks fasting or on the flip side eating 6 meals a day affects your metabolism. Giving your body toxic waste is the real problem. Too many chemicals in the food we eat. You don't see many obese people that eat organic meats and vegetables do we?? I would think a lot less diabetes, cancer and pill poppers as well. Eat when your hungry and eat well. This is shift I am working towards.

I respectfully disagree. I grew up in a family of obese individuals eating organic meats and vegetables. It's all really a calorie game.

Edit: Removed a reply that was meant for a different topic.