I've just blown 2500 calories ?

Options
I lost 65 lbs, two years ago sticking to 1200 calories and walking five mile a day, I lost weight every week, over the course of ten months and got to 150 lbs, which was the top end of my weight scale, I stuck at this weight for nearly two years, then after the illness and death of my father, had regained 10 lbs.

I came back on mfp and listened to everyone o. Here saying that 1200 was too low, so I started 3 weeks ago, eating 15-1600 calories a day and walking my 5 miles a day, and haven't lost any weight or inches in three weeks. I feel disheartened - so was moaning to a friend this morning and she came round, with fast food, ice cream and two bottles of wine, and I'm afraid I ate and drank and feel guilty now. But don't know where to carry on with losing the weight - should I carry on tomorrow eating 1200 or 1600 w
Or split the difference and stick to 1400 ?

Replies

• easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Carry on as normal. If you feel ok eating a bit less, that's fine - calories can fluctuate on a day to day basis. If you worked out a little longer, that's ok. Just don't be punitive to yourself, because that's a terrible mindset to engage in (and reminiscent of binging/fasting cycles which just aren't healthy for you physically or mentally). Overall, it's just one day. Nothing is ruined forever or completely derailed. Back on plan and remember next time that eating that much didn't make you feel better so you can avoid that mistake in future.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    It's about having a deficit for the WEEK. (Assuming you weigh in once a week, that is...)

I have had weeks where I was a "good boy" all week except for one day where I went over by around 1000-1200 calories. I still lost weight that week thanks to sufficient deficits the rest of the week.

If you get back to the program and get in your water, your exercise, and maintain the suggested deficits, chances are very good that it won't really hurt you or (worst case scenario) will cause your weight to just hold steady for a week.

Don't sweat it...get back to doing what you need to do.
  • jodie3134
    jodie3134 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself! We all have bad days. Look how far you have come. 65 pounds is awesome. Good for you!

As for calorie intake... I think you need to listen to your body. If 1200 works for you, but 1600 doesn't... split the difference and see if you get anywhere. If not... reevaluate. You know what works best for you and everyone is different. I weigh a lot more than you and I'm at 1600 calories a day. Its slow going for me...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd give it a bit longer before giving up. Do you weigh your food though? If not, that's probably the problem.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The worst thing to do it beat yourself up about it. I know that when I beat myself up/focus on a negative I tend to slip deeper into the behavior I am beating myself up about. It is done - ok, over - new day.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    OK... so you're eating 1600 then walking 5miles... are you eating back part of your exercise calories? Also, are you weighing/measuring? I agree that 1200 is too low for about 99% of human beings. I was stuck losing .25-.5/lb weekly until I starting weighing my food and all of a sudden the weight is just melting off so far *knock on wood* but I'm also eating 1500-1800 cal/day depending on my workouts.
  • esbinage
    esbinage Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You were walking 5 miles a day and only eating 1200 calories? Thats why your not losing any weight now, your metabolism is destroyed. Read up on metabolic damage and go from there.
  • iitanyia
    iitanyia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Find a calculator (in the Apps list) to determine how many calories you need to eat for the weight you want to be. If it is below 1200 (mine is 1106cal for 130lbs), don't eat less than 1200.

Remember that it takes time for your body to understand that you are going to be eating regularly at that level and that it can begin to use fat for fuel. Then you will see regular and steady losses.

Keep eating right, exercising and drinking at least 8 - 10 glasses of water and you will see it come off half pounds or more a day. There will be plateaus along the way as your body fights the losses...but it will come off again in a week or so.

Hang in there...and know that you are working for a long term state.

49062842.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • 1egs
    1egs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Could you explain the food weighing thing? How does someone do that? How much is your food supposed to weigh? Why does that help more than just counting calories?
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Could you explain the food weighing thing? How does someone do that? How much is your food supposed to weigh? Why does that help more than just counting calories?

Food scale. Your food is supposed to weigh how many calories you want to eat. Serving sizes are based on weight so if you log 28g of cereal, you might want to make sure you actually are consuming 28g or cereal instead of 32g.
  • iitanyia
    iitanyia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When you weigh then you know for sure that you are getting portion that equals the calories you are going for. For example, let's say your recipe calls for 4 oz of white fish which is supposed to be 150 cal. You eyeball it and instead of getting 4oz you get 5.5 oz which is really 220 cal. Now you have eaten 70 cal more than your recipe anticipated.

49062842.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

What?! How can you count calories if you DONT weigh anything?!
  • flow2512
    flow2512 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies, I weigh everything, apart from lettuce leaves, but I am very conscious about weighing.food, I will carry on again tomorrow and carry on sticking to 15-1600 calories a day and carry on walking on treadmill, ( I can't do a lot of other exercise due to arthritis ) and see what happens over the next few weeks.
  • 1egs
    1egs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have measuring cups idk lol.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 lbs, two years ago sticking to 1200 calories and walking five mile a day, I lost weight every week, over the course of ten months and got to 150 lbs, which was the top end of my weight scale, I stuck at this weight for nearly two years, then after the illness and death of my father, had regained 10 lbs.

I came back on mfp and listened to everyone o. Here saying that 1200 was too low, so I started 3 weeks ago, eating 15-1600 calories a day and walking my 5 miles a day, and haven't lost any weight or inches in three weeks. I feel disheartened - so was moaning to a friend this morning and she came round, with fast food, ice cream and two bottles of wine, and I'm afraid I ate and drank and feel guilty now. But don't know where to carry on with losing the weight - should I carry on tomorrow eating 1200 or 1600 w
    Or split the difference and stick to 1400 ?
    Stick with what works for you. If you are a smaller frame, than maybe you need less calories. Start over tomorrow and maybe start at 1200 and see what happens.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options

Food scale. Your food is supposed to weigh how many calories you want to eat. Serving sizes are based on weight so if you log 28g of cereal, you might want to make sure you actually are consuming 28g or cereal instead of 32g.
    Yes! Sometimes lables can be misleading about what a serving size is. Those bags of ice glazed chicken breasts say they are 110 calories for 4oz, and than say one breast is a serving size, when really its about 2 to 2 1/2 servings. It takes the guess work out of calorie counting.