Workout Plan -- College Student

ceegels245
ceegels245 Posts: 3 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone..my name's Christina and I am 19 years old...turning 20 in two months. I really need some motivation to get more toned and lose some weight because I really want to join my college soccer team (mind you I havent played soccer on a team in almost two years since high school). I wanted to get some advice and tips regarded a workout schedule that i would be able to do on a daily basis. I don't have any money to join a gym, and I do own a treadmill at home.

Thanks for your help in advance! : )

Replies

• 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    If you haven't run in awhile try couch to 5k for gradual conditioning. look for soccer in your area or try to find pick up games. if you know members of the college soccer team try hanging out and training with them some. you can do c25k on your treadmill even.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    www.exercisetv.tv has free workout videos of all sorts! Targeting all areas!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Does your college have a rec center or gym you can use? Mine had aerobic classes and I checked what matched my schedule since i walked by the building on certain days. I found an abs class that was right after I was done with classes 2 or 3 days a week and I went to that on my way back home from class. It was perfect timing to cut through the building and stop in for 20 minutes. I noticed a big difference in my ab strength just from that!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Soccer doesn't require C25K conditioning. You need to be able to run sprints - check out a local high school track. 100M sprints will help you a LOT but you need to work on ball-handling skills and other basics. There are tonnes of great resources/drills out on the internet for soccer conditioning. I would spend a bit of time finding some and develop a workout plan based on what you see!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Soccer doesn't require C25K conditioning. You need to be able to run sprints

True, but to make the team, and then to stay on it, she's going to definitely need to be able to run 3 miles and rather quickly! It's not unusual for a 3 mile run to be a warm up or cool down during tryouts or pre-try out "practices." I know they were for tennis! So - still do both! :)
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    C25K couldnt hurt anyone I dont think, whether she needs to be able to sprint or not.
    I like to use beachbody home workout videos. I did a round of P90x and now am on Turbofire. Being a good athlete is about more than being able to run, its endurance, and having the muscle and stamina to endure the game. Anything that you can do it better than nothing.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Well as someone who played 14+ years of soccer I think I have some insight into the conditioning/strength required. It's more important to be able to sprint 100M than it is to run 5K. She has to start with basics, so 100M and ball-handing skills are the building blocks of a good soccer player. I played soccer in college, and I know what is required. 1 mile run comes later...not a lot of teams are going to have you run 5K during tryouts.
  • ceegels245
    ceegels245 Posts: 3 Member
    thanks everyone...ive played soccer for over ten years so its not the drills and skills that i need to work on, more just the motivation to run and get toned..but thanks so much for the advice..ill keep you all updated on my progress !

also i just thought of it ....diet - wise,,,should i stick to the normal fruits and veggies, with minimum carbs and a lot of protein? it's pretty tough going on a diet with my family because my moms always cooking for us and she always force feeds us (true Italian family) lol ..and should i take in a smaller portion?
This discussion has been closed.