My Story

Options
Hello everyone my name is Tracee I am 22 years old and I eat way too much. I love food I love Chinese food hot digs French fries greasy stuff that's not good for you. I have always been a big girl but felt like I needed to be like everyone else. My sister who has been a size Small since she was younger is someone I get compared to all the time. My family has seen me get bigger and all they can say is when you lose weight people will see how pretty you are and your father will brag on you when you lose weight but if I stay fat no one will think I'm pretty? And my father won't brag on me because I'm fat? Trying to lose weight is hard enough even a pound is hard for me to lose to lose due to the fact I don't eat breakfast lunch and dinner and when you have no motivation at all it's hard. I came to MFP not just to lose weight but to finally look in the mirror and not see a huge monster but a pretty girl who showed everyone that she could lose the weight without their help or motivation

Replies

• JulieE1002
    JulieE1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi Tracee! Boy does your story sound familiar! I used to hear it all the time - "you have such a pretty face - if you would just lose some weight." UGH! That did nothing to motivate me. As a teen, I was very slim because I was very active in sports. After the birth of four babies (yes, I'm crazy), I piled on the pounds. I gained 65 pounds with one pregnancy alone. None of that matters anymore because I don't diet anymore - I have made a lifestyle change.

I LOVE FOOD! I think that all of us here do. I have had to change how I think about food. Yes it tastes really really good, but what is it giving my body? I've adopted a new motivational phrase and you would find it everywhere in my house! "Food is fuel for your body to move." Period. That's all that food was ever meant to be. I'm not saying that you shouldn't enjoy it, because you definately should. I changed my relationship with food with help from MFP. The fact that I have to document every morsel of food that goes into my mouth has helped me tremendously. I never lie - I am completely honest and log every single thing I put into my body. That was a real eye opener for me! I had no idea how much crap I was putting into my body, although I realized just how crappy it made me feel. I had to learn what a "portion" is - was I surprised!

I DON'T LIKE EXERCISE is what I used to say and think. I cannot believe that I am going to say this ...... but I am becoming addicted to exercise! I actually crave it! This time of day (4:00 pm) I get so itchy to get out of this office and exercise! The more you do it, the more you crave it. But I must say that I think my success is due to the fact that I perform the exercises I like the most. I love to walk, so I walk. I love to dance, so I dance. My husband and I have date nights at the gym lifting weights. I chase my dog up and down the stairs! My favorite - running races with my grand kids. Yes I do!

You my dear, are valuable. Everything about you is important. Do not ever underestimate just how valuable you are.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I will do anything I can to help you along your way - because this time you will succeed!
  • NuMe76
    NuMe76 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Tracee: First things first, you are pretty. Very pretty. You have to love and believe in yourself first. Others will follow and if they don't you don't need them in your corner. If all your family sees is the size then they arent "seeing" you for who you are but what you are and you are more than your size or outer appearance.
    Keep Your Head Up.
  • healthysista66
    Options
    First of all you are very pretty. I'm not just saying that but you are. You and my niece look a lot alike.

Okay I'll keep this as nice as possible. Bump the naysayers. Trust me they see something great in you and just may not tell you. Also when people aren't totally happy with their lives they will pick at others to make themselves feel better. I'm sure there are qualities within you they wish they had.

Now as for the exercise keep at it. Julie is right, the more you do it the more you are going to love it. Find an exercise routine that you love. I personally have to mix things up a bit because I get bored easily. One week it might be T25, the next week Zumba and I absolutely love walking and jogging (or as I call it shuffling) in the park.

When you think of your weight lose think of it as a journey to becoming a better you. Think of how healthy you are going to be. Also you have to eat. You can’t starve yourself. You have to eat, but just eat right things. Look into healthy snacks you will enjoy.
    Also don’t beat yourself up. Yes you will have days that you fall back a bit. Trust me I’ve had mine. I know that I should have lost weight by now. But I’m not beating myself up, but I continue to exercise and continue to strive to get better.

Do it for you. Do it for your health, most importantly. And last have you expressed to your family the way they make you feel when they make their comments towards you?

Empower yourself baby girl. You are gorgeous, fierce and strong.
    :flowerforyou:
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You are pretty NOW. You were pretty then! And you will continue to be pretty.
  • Getit_Simpson
    Getit_Simpson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's hard to be happy in your own skin with so much criticism. It is a process but it is possible. But you know who you are, I'm sure you're a beautiful person on the inside as well....just need to show the rest of the world no matter what size you are.
  • lizzylou36
    Options
    You are a beautiul girl...and if that what it takes for your family to see it...then the problem is them not you!!! Hang in there!:wink:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    First of all, heavy or not, I CAN SEE YOUR PRETTY FACE. No matter how much they mean well, family is the worst.

Now for the hard part. The chinese food and hot dogs are foods that you will eventually stop craving. The salt in that food keeps us wanting more.

If you want to lose weight, start with baby steps. Think about the healthy food you DO Like and make a list. THen think of the healthy food you DON'T like and make a list. Then look at the food you don't like and try to find a way that you will like them that doesn't include extra cheese or salt or any other things that will make it bad.

Then eventually, you are going to have to start making your own food. It's the best way to go until you learn how to eat well outside your kitchen.

Stay on this site, log your food, read the other blogs, stay tight with the winners, meaning the ones who want to help, the ones who are showing success, and sometimes the winners can be a little harsh but try to see the good message behind the strong words.

Good luck and keep coming back!!!
  • DOVE437
    DOVE437 Posts: 15
    Options
    I agree with everyone. It sounds like you have been beaten down emotionally, which is going to create some mental roadblocks as well. You are BEAUTIFUL. YOU need to know that. Weight loss is something to do for YOU and not for anyone else. Empower yourself to accomplish your goals and be who you want to be. That may not be a super skinny twig but rather someone healthy with flattering curves who isn't a size 6. Be healthy, be active, but above all find your happiness. Gather a strong group of supports both here and in your immediate world and distance yourself from those that bring negativity to your life. To the family that does such, speak up! Tell them how their comments make you feel. Often times we don't realize how our words affect others.

If you have the opportunity seek out a support group so you have some emotional guidance as well; mental health is very important and you may have some challenges to over come. I could be wrong. ;)

The best part about weight loss: exercising is FUN. At least it can be when you find something you enjoy. So check out some classes as the rec center, try a few things and you find something that makes you smile. Maybe not when you are doing it, but at least at the end. (That's how I am about running) So don't give up if at first you don't find success in the things you try, just don't give up.

Remember, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL, and it shines if you live a beautiful life, no matter what the numbers on a scale say.
  • SincerelyHiatus
    SincerelyHiatus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Tracee, you're beautiful. I can see it in your face and your words - both are gorgeous!! Ignore what your family says, they usually mean well but they can really bring a person down. Don't lose weight and get fit for them, do it for yourself. Do it so that you have more energy to do the things you love to do! The best plan as far as food is try to keep your carbs and fats low, and your proteins high. The main thing to focus on, though, is calories!

Definitely find something you love to do as far as exercising. The new fitrec center at my community college just opened last week, and i LOVE going there!!!! That in and of itself is what keeps me motivated. find exercises you love to do or a place you love to do them at - after a couple times, you'll find that you look forward to it - maybe not necessarily the act of exercising itself, but definitely the way you feel in the hours and days following it. :) Feel free to add me as a friend, i know a good support group always helps!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You, my dear are absolutely stunning. Anyone that tells you otherwise is just jealous of how pretty you are. That said you can only get fit for you. No one else can motivate you it must be something that you want, or it won't work. Never forget that thin does not equate pretty nor does fat equate ugly. I have seen beautiful fat people and downright ugly thin people.