Trouble Meeting Calorie Goal

Options

Replies

• SpiderByte
    Options
    They have stuff like hard boiled eggs (which I eat) in the salad bar, and usually have muffins and such for breakfast. They have wraps, bagels (though I don't eat them because we use a really awful conveyor-oven-thing for them which either undercooks or burns the hell out of them), and etc. They rotate the other meal schedule daily: sometimes they have brocolli, cauliflower, etc. Usually I just have a salad with eggs since that's pretty much the only thing that's consistently there every day.

And the reason it's harder for me to reach my calorie goal than when I ate excess is because when I ate excess I was at home, where the kitchen didn't close every few hours and the selection of foods to eat was a lot higher. I literally lost 12 pounds at the start of college just because I didn't have access to my kitchen at home.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    They have stuff like hard boiled eggs (which I eat) in the salad bar, and usually have muffins and such for breakfast. They have wraps, bagels (though I don't eat them because we use a really awful conveyor-oven-thing for them which either undercooks or burns the hell out of them), and etc. They rotate the other meal schedule daily: sometimes they have brocolli, cauliflower, etc. Usually I just have a salad with eggs since that's pretty much the only thing that's consistently there every day.

Okay...so what else is there today? Do they have pasta? Burgers? Chicken breast?
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    And the reason it's harder for me to reach my calorie goal than when I ate excess is because when I ate excess I was at home, where the kitchen didn't close every few hours and the selection of foods to eat was a lot higher. I literally lost 12 pounds at the start of college just because I didn't have access to my kitchen at home.

I have been to a lot of colleges ... what school do you go to ?
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options

The only answer to this post is to eat more calories.
    So I don't know why people make these posts.
    You became overweight by eating at more than maintenance, so how the hell is eating enough to reach a deficit goal suddenly so hard.
    Sure, maybe he's eating less calorie dense foods. So add back some calorie dense foods. The end.

This. I know that on days when I've been really good and exercised I sometimes wind up with a huge amount of calories left over and it took a bit to adjust to the idea that I can indulge and use some of them up while still trying to lose weight. Now I have a yummy peanut butter sandwich or even ice cream bar or such on gym days when I have a lot of extra calories. I also know on those days to have a bit more food through out the day.

So enjoy some high cal food so long as it fits within your goals.
    Pizza always works for me :flowerforyou:
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Okay, ignoring all the snipping going on in this post, keep in mind that quality does count. Weight loss is essentially calories in to calories out, but that doesn't mean you want to load up on ****, right? It's not good for you, and it'll make building lean muscle mass - as opposed to losing it - that much harder. So no, regularly filling in the gaps with alcohol and ice cream and pizza or whatever probably isn't a good idea.

I kind of have a similar problem. I shoot for 1500 a day, but I home cook everything and currently don't have a scale, so there's a lot of eyeballing and that means I try to overestimate to make sure I don't go over - but 1200 is *right there*, and I never wanna be under, either.

So I recommend nutrient-dense, calorically-dense foods that travel well and take well to dorm living. In college I supplemented my diet HEAVILY with nuts, especially almonds and cashews, because it filled in the gaps with stuff I needed and didn't require an entire kitchen. Dried fruit's also a good idea, and beef or turkey jerky if you're not worried about sodium and that's your thing.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I have been to a lot of colleges ... what school do you go to ?

I also was wondering that.
    I've never heard of a caf being so lacking.
    Apparently it's the most difficult place on earth in terms of eating, and there is nothing he can do about it and nothing is his fault.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options
    Okay, ignoring all the snipping going on in this post, keep in mind that quality does count. Weight loss is essentially calories in to calories out, but that doesn't mean you want to load up on ****, right? It's not good for you, and it'll make building lean muscle mass - as opposed to losing it - that much harder. So no, regularly filling in the gaps with alcohol and ice cream and pizza or whatever probably isn't a good idea.

I kind of have a similar problem. I shoot for 1500 a day, but I home cook everything and currently don't have a scale, so there's a lot of eyeballing and that means I try to overestimate to make sure I don't go over - but 1200 is *right there*, and I never wanna be under, either.

So I recommend nutrient-dense, calorically-dense foods that travel well and take well to dorm living. In college I supplemented my diet HEAVILY with nuts, especially almonds and cashews, because it filled in the gaps with stuff I needed and didn't require an entire kitchen. Dried fruit's also a good idea, and beef or turkey jerky if you're not worried about sodium and that's your thing.

But it's impossible for him to obtain those things.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm at college, and the cafeteria closes. So I can only get three meals a day, four if I bring up an apple or something to save for later.

Go to the grocery and get snacks for when you are in your dorm. I see you are in Boston..I work in Boston and I am pretty sure there is almost a CVS on every corner and the train is pretty accessible.
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If the cafeteria hours suck jst visit a grocery store occasionally and stock up on healthy snacks you can keep in your room. They are portion controlled so easy to log and great for late night snacks and such. You could get treat food but really protien bars are pretty good and peanut butter and bread don't need a fridge. Just set aside a small space and you can always have some cheap and easy food on hand. If the store is close enough go a couple of times a week and get some fruits as well.

Apple peanut butter sandwich is the way to go. Yumm.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options
    I'm at college, and the cafeteria closes. So I can only get three meals a day, four if I bring up an apple or something to save for later.

Go to the grocery and get snacks for when you are in your dorm. I see you are in Boston..I work in Boston and I am pretty sure there is almost a CVS on every corner and the train is pretty accessible.

Jesus, he's in Boston too?
    I'm in college in Boston.
    I am officially labeling this post BS.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Let's start with the salad bar. Are you literally just putting eggs and a salad together? What else is on the salad bar for you to use? Nuts? Seeds? Croutons? Dressing? Cheese? Chickpeas? Crackers? Proteins? I've seen a lot of salad bars in my years. Even if that were the only thing in your cafeteria, you have options.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options
    137676767258.png
  • SpiderByte
    Options
    "I also was wondering that.
    Apparently it's the most difficult place on earth in terms of eating, and there is nothing he can do about it and nothing is his fault."

Yes, because it's my fault that my cafeteria can't keep a consistent schedule.

You realize treating me like crap doesn't encourage me to actually listen to anything you have to say, right?
  • Iknowsaur
    Options
    Apparently it's the most difficult place on earth in terms of eating, and there is nothing he can do about it and nothing is his fault."

You realize treating me like crap doesn't encourage me to actually listen to anything you have to say, right?

EAT MORE THE END.
    This is making me angry.
    I need to leave this thread.
    Enjoy solving this uber complicated mystery.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yeah in my own personal life I went to college in the sprawl of eastern Los Angeles where if you didn't have a car there was no way you were getting to a grocery store, certainly no mass transit and everything spread out by miles of highway.
  • SpiderByte
    Options

Let's start with the salad bar. Are you literally just putting eggs and a salad together? What else is on the salad bar for you to use? Nuts? Seeds? Croutons? Dressing? Cheese? Chickpeas? Crackers? Proteins? I've seen a lot of salad bars in my years. Even if that were the only thing in your cafeteria, you have options.

I should have clarified. When I said 'Salad' I forgot to include what I usually put in my salad, which is usually some croutons and some peppers they have as well. Once in a while they'll have some sort of strange meat-cube thing which I like a lot (it's not chicken, but it's definitely some kind of meat-based substance).
  • mschicagocubs
    Options

Does your cafeteria have meat? I would eat like 2 chicken breasts every dinner, with stuff from the salad bar, and load up on veggies.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options

I should have clarified. When I said 'Salad' I forgot to include what I usually put in my salad, which is usually some croutons and some peppers they have as well. Once in a while they'll have some sort of strange meat-cube thing which I like a lot (it's not chicken, but it's definitely some kind of meat-based substance).

Probably Tuna ... lol
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    OP, ignore her.

If the specials each day have veggies, meat and a side, you can go with it. Depending on if you're looking to cut fried crap out of your diet, you can go with the burger/fries option. It'll be a decent boost of calories. Salads are great, but cut calories by a huge amount... diannethegeek has some good questions. What else in on the salad bar... you've told us what you put in yours, but what else is available?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

EAT MORE THE END.
    This is making me angry.
    I need to leave this thread.
    Enjoy solving this uber complicated mystery.

REALLY??? Would we be saying this to someone who needs to lose weight? EAT LESS THE END. No, instead we are continually supportive and give them ways to stay at their goal.

OP: It can be difficult to reach your calorie goal eating low calorie foods; they can fill you up quickly. It might seem counter intuitive, but try opting for more calorie dense options...maybe more dressing on your salad, red meat over chicken, even a muffin. Eating too large of a deficit can cause problems when trying to lose weight.