Dogs and exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I have a border collie named Fred, hes pretty awesome. He his home alone for about 5 hours monday-friday. When I get home, I take him for a nice long walk. But boarder collies are pretty energetic dogs and need some vigerous exercise. I don't have time to take him to the dog park every evening, and my back yard isn't very big. I want to try to start running with him, but its a nightmare! My german sheppard coon hound mix (that my parents wouldn't let me take when I moved out) just went with it and matched my stride. But trying to get Fred to run along side me isn't going too well. He's pretty well trained, I keep him on a harness, but he nips my feet and just goes nuts. Any thoughts on how to have him run steady alongside me?

One training technique I used with my dog for walking it doing some work in the yard BEFORE heading out for a walk. I get a high-value treat (like a stick of cheese), and work on keeping her attention focused on ME before we take off. With Fred's attention directed at you, he'll be less inclined to nip at your feet. He'll just be focused on getting that delicious treat. Start with some impromptu play in your yard to get him focused on you. Then start with short running intervals between telephone poles and lamp posts. Walk to one (easier to control him), give him a treat. Run to the next (give him a treat). Try that and let me know how it goes!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    "soft" dogs don't do well with harsh training
    Other dogs don't either.
  • Riiseli
    Riiseli Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I prefer letting a harnessed dog pull me on a belt while running. Now if you elect to get a belt for running, do get one with leg straps. It'll keep the belt in correct location, which in turns stops you from getting a sore back even if the dog lunges after something or pulls a lot. My BC won't bite, but she'd rather run behind me or around me in circles. I'm sure she'll learn to run properly some day for now we mostly walk or bike. When biking I pedal at a trotting pace or with the dogs off leash so they can set their own pace, if they want to gallop.
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have an English Bulldog. The only way I could get him to go out for a run is if I pulled him in a wagon behind me.

That made me laugh/snort out loud. I never laugh/snort. Hahaha!!
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    Options
    I prefer letting a harnessed dog pull me on a belt while running. Now if you elect to get a belt for running, do get one with leg straps. It'll keep the belt in correct location, which in turns stops you from getting a sore back even if the dog lunges after something or pulls a lot. My BC won't bite, but she'd rather run behind me or around me in circles. I'm sure she'll learn to run properly some day for now we mostly walk or bike. When biking I pedal at a trotting pace or with the dogs off leash so they can set their own pace, if they want to gallop.

Can you post an example of what you mean for the belt with leg straps, please? I'm trying to visualize it, but it's just not coming to me.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you want to tire him out I would use mental stimulation before the run, you get the games for dogs where you hide treats and they have to figure out the puzzle to get the treat out, or throwing a ball for half an hour.

It will take time, you'll probably have to start off when you're running only running a few strides when he nips (herds you) stop get his focus back to heel (or wherever you want him to run) then start again, it's repetition running at your side/front/upside down is acceptable, nipping/herding isn't and stops straight away.

High energy collie, have you considered agility, again takes training but collies like having a job to do and agility is also mentally very stimulating as they are constantly having to think??

Sorry kind of taken this off of Fitness & Exercise topic and went onto Dog Training topic!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    For those who tie the leash around their waist -- there is a great hands-free leash designed for running with dogs called a "Stunt Puppy Leash." It is a belt that clips around your waist, and has a bungee leash that attaches the belt to your dog. It allows comfortable hands-free running with a secure system. The bungee leash helps to buffer sudden direction or speed changes if your dog gets distracted. I love using it to run with my dog! (Bought it on amazon.)

This is what I use with my Golden Retriever, too. It's nice to not have to hold onto the leash and the bungee leash has some give to it, not that my guy pulls unless he's pulling to the side to go potty. It took time at first because he would get excited when I started running, now he just settles in and trots right next to me.

OP, how old is your BC?
  • Riiseli
    Riiseli Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Can you post an example of what you mean for the belt with leg straps, please? I'm trying to visualize it, but it's just not coming to me.
    Here are some examples:
    http://www.snowpawstore.com/canicross/canicross-belt.html
    Some of my friends at least are happy with that ManMat belt.
  • jmock87
    jmock87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you can get your dog to heel at walk, just progress that to a run. Take a couple of strides and praise them, then slowly build it up. It took an age with my pooch. He thought if I ran, he was to chase me and try and take me down! Now he just trots along by my side!
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    Options
    Here are some examples:
    http://www.snowpawstore.com/canicross/canicross-belt.html
    Some of my friends at least are happy with that ManMat belt.

Oh, okay. So, the purpose of the leg straps is to ensure the belt doesn't twist? If so, then that makes sense. I might question the comfort level, but I do understand it. Thanks.
  • shortnsweetbb
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I'd be very careful of any of these systems to attach yourself to the dogs and running, especially if its possible to have random major distractions (everywhere) that could cause you to be put in a bad situation (along any roads, etc). You are talking about a German shepherd as well I think I got from your post, which means two dogs, that equals a ton of pulling power, and once one goes for something, the more well behaved one may also follow and go into chase mode and then good luck in stopping them before you get yourself into a situation. I have two German Shepherd/Huskies and if I am jogging and they go in to chase mode its very difficult to stop 220lbs of pulling dog, and sometimes verbal takes a minute to break through "pack chase mode". When something small and furry pops out in front of us, their instinct kicks in, and the reaction/pulling power seems to be amplified in order of size: rat<squirrel<rabbit<cat<raccoon<coyote ...coyote is off the scale pulling power. Once the 95lb one alone took a 150lb leash holder on a grassy butt-ski for a significant distance after a rabbit that jumped out of the bushes and ran, until I was able to catch up and stop her. This was at walking speed start too, and she held on to the leash, if you were in that situation tied to the dog and alone, you'd be helpless until the dog stopped. She paid attention to what was going on much more after that ;)

The other problem I see with tying yourself to two big dogs is not only the starting speed of a run, but the pulling power tends to increase the further they get away from you: they get to accelerate before you can resist. I keep a short leash by possible chase "threats" so I can control them much more easily. If you had them on something attached to your waist you'd be letting them accelerate to full speed before the force on you kicks in...
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I figured this topic would be addressed somewhere on the board! I've been trying to take my dog with me when I jog, but she just about kills me when I do! I got so tangled up in her leash when a rabbit bolted out in front of us I thought I was going to end up in the street. She is a Shar-Pei/Boxer/Lab mix, and at 70 pounds is basically an Ox in dog form. Because of the shape of her muzzle I am not sure a Haltie will work, but will have to try it. She is very well trained to a leash for normal walks, but fast walks/jogs make her go nutty.

Just curious though - has anyone else noticed their dogs energy level has skyrocketed since they started walking/jogging/running with them? Sweetie was a couch potato until I started taking her with me. Now she has so much energy she cracks me up. My cats are not very amused by it - she chases them all over the house now.
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    Options
    I figured this topic would be addressed somewhere on the board! I've been trying to take my dog with me when I jog, but she just about kills me when I do! I got so tangled up in her leash when a rabbit bolted out in front of us I thought I was going to end up in the street. She is a Shar-Pei/Boxer/Lab mix, and at 70 pounds is basically an Ox in dog form. Because of the shape of her muzzle I am not sure a Haltie will work, but will have to try it. She is very well trained to a leash for normal walks, but fast walks/jogs make her go nutty.

Just curious though - has anyone else noticed their dogs energy level has skyrocketed since they started walking/jogging/running with them? Sweetie was a couch potato until I started taking her with me. Now she has so much energy she cracks me up. My cats are not very amused by it - she chases them all over the house now.

I don't know if the Halti adjusts the same way as the Gentle Leader or not (I have experience with the Gentle Leader), but if so, there should be 2 different things to adjust (the strap around the back of the dog's head and the strap that goes over the muzzle). Just be sure to tighten them both down.

I had a Black Lab/Shar-Pei mix and it worked just fine on him... until he figured out he REALLY wanted out of it and he'd use his hands (yes, he would stand on his hind legs and use his front paws like they were hands) to slip it off the end of his nose.