Need a workout plan to build muscle. Please help

Options
I am a 38 year old male in decent shape. I am 175 lbs and 6'1". I have done P90X in the past and found it to be a great program but I am looking to build more muscle. I have access to a gym as well as dumbells up to 40lbs at home. Im good on the dieting but I would love for somebody to help me build a 5 day a week program to help build muscle. Any takers??

Replies

• JMTREE15
    Options
    In order for you to build more muscle you should go on a linear progession workout plan. That would enable your muscle to constantly be testing your training load and as long as your training load is getting bigger so will your muscles. I am actually on that type of program right now. I have seen tremendous results in my body and in my performance on the baseball field. If you would like more information let me know. I would be more than happy to help you and walk you through that type of workout plan.
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have done the Men's Health Hardbody plan for 3+ years now and I love it. Simple, concise exercises that can be done with weights, machines, or nothing at all. The book is available on amazon used for next to nothing.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I've got some great foundational workouts in my reference library if you like.

Alternately, I'd recommend checking out "New Rules of Lifting" as that's a great read and includes a complete year-long periodized program which hit all the key components in various cycles (Muscle Building, Endurance, Fat Burning etc).

I've applied several of the recommendations in there to my sport conditioning with incredible results without spending hours in the gym doing needless sets and reps.

Cheers,

Craig
  • MalabarDietClub
    Options
    Best workout you can do for that in my opinion: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    I am a 38 year old male in decent shape. I am 175 lbs and 6'1". I have done P90X in the past and found it to be a great program but I am looking to build more muscle. I have access to a gym as well as dumbells up to 40lbs at home. Im good on the dieting but I would love for somebody to help me build a 5 day a week program to help build muscle. Any takers??

Why not just continue to do P90X but take out one day of cardio, and add in a day of strength. Lift heavier weights. Eat more calories than you burn. Most people won't lift heavy enough weights to try to get big. Building muscle requires more effort than people think. P90X can work to build muscle, if you lift heavy enough. And you can always just do the P90X exercises at the gym so you can use more weight.
  • tsunami2
    Options
    The best way to gain muscle is to not worry about getting fat (within reason). You just need to eat an excess amount of calories that are high in nutrition content while maintaining a lifting program. Check out Hypertrophy specific training or HST. The main focus of your workouts should always be one of these 4 movements: Bench, Deadlift, Shoulder Press, and Squats. FWIW, p90x will only work so far when it comes to gaining muscle. As a noob, you'd be able to gain a bunch very quickly and I wouldn't want to waste that window on circuit style training.