I am "small" to new people :) (Share your stories too!)

Options
I will share my story first :) I had been feeling a bit discouraged because I felt like I still looked big after losing over 30 pounds. However, today I was talking to this guy that didn't know me when I was heavier. We were talking about how mexican food usually has huge portions. I had told him that I can't eat all of that food and he said "Well, you're really small so where is it all gonna go?" I never thought I would EVER hear that! Its moments like these that remind me why living healthy is the way to go :)
Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing as well? Share your stories! :D

Replies

• Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs, I still get confused by compliments on my small stature.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It's so weird....I was at a meeting with colleagues and we were talking about working out for whatever reason and we all joked that we have six-packs under our fat. One said, "you don't have much fat to speak of so you can't laugh, Shannon!"

First time in my life I've heard THAT.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    every time I look in full length mirror I do a double take because I always think it's curved in a way to make me look slim...then I just smile and know my hard work is paying off.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I recently moved to a new state, new job, new people. They all didn't know me before and it's funny to me to hear them say that I look skinny, toned, fit.... Sometimes I just snicker and say thank you and walk away happy :)
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I went to Cheese cake factory and ordered off the 490 calorie or less menu, I got a flat bread pizza and the waiter told me its small. I said ok i expect it to be small bc its pizza under 490 calories, HOWEVER when it came out I was shocked that he thought the portion was small bc I thought it was perfect size and even alittle bigger than I thought. Very filling and I didnt even eat the whole thing. lol
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    sure have a couple of times...

When I pick up jeans in "my size" I always think...no way am I gonna fit in those...

Guess what I do....even the size 6's that I never thought I would see...

Or when my aunt said to my husband at Christmas..."she's half the woman you married" which is true...I went from a size 16 to an 8 at that point...literally half my size...gone.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I was having a conversation with people at work about food. I said something about food and finished with."trust me, i'm a fat kid". The girl sitting next to me (who never really saw me heavy), kinda tilted her head to the side quizically and said, "you're not fat".

It felt good to hear it but i shed a little tear because my credibility as a fat kid is gone.

Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book called Outliers where he says that it takes at least 10,000 hours of doing something before you can become an expert. Well, i've logged well over 10,000 hours so i'm an expert on being fat and people have to listen..lol
  • madamecj82
    madamecj82 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm getting compliments and comments, but I'm just now noticing changes myself (and they're small to me). It makes me wonder how big I really was! lol! :laugh:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Yup. This happens to me all the time at work. I started my job after I lost the majority of weight so none of them knew me heavier. They comment all the time about how small I am and how I "must be able to eat anything i want." If only they knew...
  • Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    When I went in to try on jeans and told the sales associate the last time I checked I was a size 20. Now I'm a size 4.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I volunteer a lot with teenagers. At a recent event I had one of the parents ask me if I ever ate because I was smaller than most of the girls there. Not sure I believe that but it felt good to hear it.

I am still having problems with accepting that size 4 jeans fit instead of them being just a dream size, I was a size 26 at my heaviest.
  • Doc_V
    Doc_V Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have some friends who are heavier than me, and they used to get irritated that I would call myself a 'fat kid.' Then we went to Waffle House..and they no longer doubt me.

I'm at my lowest weight ever now, and my boyfriend (who only knew me ten pounds ago- and I was still small) complimented me once on how he liked being with such an athletic, hard-bodied girl. Hardbody...huh...what? :huh:

The biggest shock is that I still *feel* fat. Sometimes I'll take pictures with friends who I envy for being so tiny and trim...and then when I look at the picture, I realize I'm smaller than them!! :noway:
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    If it comes up and I mention I used to weigh 40lbs more, people are in disbelief. So I must seem as if I was always small. Yay!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it. Even when I was a teenager, I was slightly above average weight. I've been overweight since I was 19, and spent two years obese. I lost 100 lbs. When people who know me point it out, I just shrug it off. Assume they're being nice, encouraging me, or whatever.

But when I was in the hospital a few weeks ago (gallstones, unfortunately), I was sent to get an ultrasound. The nurse started setting me up and checked my file. Apparently, there had been a mix up. She actually said I was way too small to be the woman she thought I was. That was the first time I ever heard "small" in reference to me. It felt strange.
  • LauraRose03
    LauraRose03 Posts: 140
    Options
    These are all really inspiring and awesome stories!!!! Great topic!!
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    When people guess my weight, they normally guess me at 20 pounds less than I am! It's spectacular! Someone referred to me as 'tiny' a few times, which is odd to me. I wore a form fitting shirt and one of my male friends couldn't get over how much better I looked. I loved it!
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yup. This happens to me all the time at work. I started my job after I lost the majority of weight so none of them knew me heavier. They comment all the time about how small I am and how I "must be able to eat anything i want." If only they knew...

^ I love this! I can't wait until I can share some of these stories. I have been on the other side though! I was really introduced to a new business associate, and after our first meeting I commented to a colleague how good looking and fit he was and made some of the usual 'oh what I would do' remarks. My colleague seemed really amused as she had known him before when he was almost 400lbs! My jaw hit the floor! And I made sure that the story got back to him as I know how good that would feel :-)
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have some friends who are heavier than me, and they used to get irritated that I would call myself a 'fat kid.' Then we went to Waffle House..and they no longer doubt me.

I'm at my lowest weight ever now, and my boyfriend (who only knew me ten pounds ago- and I was still small) complimented me once on how he liked being with such an athletic, hard-bodied girl. Hardbody...huh...what? :huh:

The biggest shock is that I still *feel* fat. Sometimes I'll take pictures with friends who I envy for being so tiny and trim...and then when I look at the picture, I realize I'm smaller than them!! :noway:

I hope one day I can understand that I'm no longer obese, but I feel you! I'm not at my goal yet, but I have a feeling that even when I am, I still need to adjust to it!
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I've always been short but only recently have people commented on me being small or petite.

It's weird when I go to stores to buy clothes. I instantly gravitate towards the larges and mediums but they wouldn't fit me now. Instead I have to go back and grab the small that will. It's just so strange. Whenever I hold the clothes up they look way too small to fit me.

I don't know if I have as many good stories as everyone else who is sharing. I get referred to as pretty now which people didn't mention when I was bigger.
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    I'm not "small" yet, but I did have an odd moment when I posted a new Facebook profile picture recently. My old one was of me 40 lbs heavier. I got comments on the new one saying I must feel lucky to have such defined cheekbones... and I thought "I have cheekbones???"

Sure enough, they're juuuuust starting to be visible under my (still pretty fat) cheeks. Who knows--maybe I even have a jaw somewhere under there, waiting to come out!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!