Trouble Meeting Calorie Goal

Options

Replies

• Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Jar of peanut butter, loaf of bread.
    They do not have to be kept in a refrigerator.
    They do not need a kitchen or stove to cook them.
    They are cheap.
    They are a ton of calories.
    They are there when you need them.

But then, I cooked steaks and scrambled eggs using a 6' strip of tin foil and the sun on a high school parking lot.
  • alexandria921
    Options
    I went to a small school in the country where the town only consisted of two farms, and the college...litrally, no joke. If you didn't have a car you were screwed. Freshmen were super screwed. those who lived n upper classmen housing or off campus housing had the luxury of a kitchen with a full sized fridge and stove/oven. freshmen only had access to the cafe and the micros and mini fridges in their rooms. You either had to make friends with people who had cars and pay them for a 20 min drive to wallys or use the help of your parents if they lived within a few hours of the school and didn't mind coming to see you on weekends. That being said I went one semester with few friends, little money, and no car. I was in the same situation food wise. Here are some ideas, if you have a little money and access to a micro and fridge, pay a classmate with a car to take you to the store, buy cheese, instant BROWN rice, instant oatmeal, microwave safe containers (to cook stuff in), veggies, nuts, bread, fruit (you don't need to keep apples, oranges, and bananas cold), peanut butter, Greek yogurt, honey and other snacks and drinks that dont need refrigeration (almond, rice and soy milk can be found on dry foods shelves and dont need refrigeration) and are healthy.

Another idea, if your college has a program for health and fitness majors, or something in that realm, even a health awareness club, ours was called panthers making healthy decisions (PHD's) and they not only touched on nutritional and fitness health but also sexual and mental health. Anyways talk to groups like that on campus about ways the administration can help students get the correct kind of nutrition they need in their busy and often crazy schedules (healthier options, extended or added meal times)Also talk to admin! If you're using the gym on campus organize a group by posting flyers at the gym asking other students to help change the meal program on campus. In college when students get together and make demands admin has no choice but to listen and make compromises. Good luck!
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Well the whole "Go Drinking" thing isn't a good idea when the legal drinking age is 21. At least it is here.

All I hear from you is "I can't."
    Go eat a freaking burger and stop making this posts.
    This is like your 3rd one.
    Major buzzkill.

Quite ironic coming from someone who has resorted to gastric sleeve when she has in fact lost a considerable amount of weight before without such a procedure but instead this time has decided she just "can't".

Actually, most of your posts are really ironic because of that whole situation.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Well the whole "Go Drinking" thing isn't a good idea when the legal drinking age is 21. At least it is here.

Major buzzkill.

Quite ironic coming from someone who has resorted to gastric sleeve when she has in fact lost a considerable amount of weight before without such a procedure but instead this time has decided she just "can't".

+1
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Major buzzkill.

Boom. You get on with yo bad self, girl.

4UV29_zpsc5558378.gif

giphy_zpse6f7788c.gif
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So I am going to take this in a different direction: What I want to know is how are your losses and how are you feeling. You are saying that you basically have no idea what you are eating, you might be a lot closer than you think (like 99% of people underestimate their intake as apposed to overestimate). If you are losing at a reasonable rate and feeling good then keep up what you are doing. Most of the people on here are strict loggers but there is also a few who have success eating intuitively and trying their best to make healthy choices.
  • editorkim
    editorkim Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You don't have to "meet" your calorie goal, you just have to beat it. If your goal is 2100, you want to eat fewer calories than that, but no more. As long as you consume at least 1,200 calories a day, you're good, as anything less can cause your metabolism to slow since your body will think you're starving. My goal is 1,500, but I find I am eating only about 1,300 these days, since my appetite has adjusted to the restriction and I quit eating processed carbs and sugar. Also, you don't need to eat back your exercise calories. You actually don't want to do this, as it would make the workout ineffective if you eat back everything you burn. Hope what I've said makes sense! If you are beating your goal, keep up the good work!!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Major buzzkill.

When did I say that I "just can't"?
    I'm doing something that I believe will help me lose weight and maintain that weight loss.
    Are you denying that the solution is to eat more?
    Because I don't actually see how that's ironic.
  • a_stronger_me13
    Options

Major buzzkill.

I'm doing something that I believe will help me lose weight and maintain that weight loss.

I'm pretty sure the "can't" is implied with the decision that you've made.

I am not really addressing anything with the OP, just how you chose to respond to this and numerous other threads critiquing other people's approaches to weight loss, fitness, "healthy" choices and "normal" habits.

If it's so easy to just eat, shouldn't it in turn be just as easy to stop eating?
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    Man I don't get how you can't eat 2100+ calories. Shoot start off with some eggs in the morning that will get ya a good 400.
  • allstarlolo
    Options
    How did you get fat, then?
    /Thread

Jeeze, you troll so many posts.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

Major buzzkill.

I am not really addressing anything with the OP, just how you chose to respond to this and numerous other threads critiquing other people's approaches to weight loss, fitness, "healthy" choices and "normal" habits.

If it's so easy to just eat, shouldn't it in turn be just as easy to stop eating?

It doesn't seem like he's having trouble emotionally with eating more, or that he's too full to eat more.
    He's cutting things out of his diet that are in my opinion things that would help him reach his calorie goal.
    There is nothing implied by the decision I made other than my choice to take a different path this time. There's nothing easy about having surgery and having your body and diet change forever, but because I am very overweight with a series of co-morbids, it was recommended to me by a weight center and I agreed with them. I'm watching my calories right now, and have lost a little weight before my surgery.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Also, you don't need to eat back your exercise calories. You actually don't want to do this, as it would make the workout ineffective if you eat back everything you burn. Hope what I've said makes sense! If you are beating your goal, keep up the good work!!

NO^^

When you burn calories, you need to eat them back to fuel your body. Especially if you are eating a lower calorie amount.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Major buzzkill.

It doesn't seem like he's having trouble emotionally with eating more, or that he's too full to eat more.
    He's cutting things out of his diet that are in my opinion things that would help him reach his calorie goal.

Explaining this to him in words other than "how'd you get fat" would have been far better received. Many people who try to lose weight believe that they can only eat clean, and that's not true. They DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER. There's no need to belittle him.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Major buzzkill.

Glad you're back, anyhow. The thread wasn't the same without you. :glasses:
  • rustyguy
    rustyguy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Trail mix
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

Major buzzkill.

Explaining this to him in words other than "how'd you get fat" would have been far better received. Many people who try to lose weight believe that they can only eat clean, and that's not true. They DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER. There's no need to belittle him and be a bee with an itch.

This is not his first post on the subject.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

Major buzzkill.

Glad you're back, anyhow. The thread wasn't the same without you. :glasses:

I was throwing bricks at orphans.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem while increasing my calories to manteinance.
    First of all, it might take you a few weeks to get used to this, but you should try to eat a bit more everyday.
    If you're comfortably eating 1500 kcals now, try to eat 1600 the next week, adding a simple snack.
    Or try to get bigger portions of food once a day. You will get used to it slowly but it should work.
    It also helped me to eat often during the day - I can't eat 1000 kcals in a single meal without eating particular foods. I couldn't reach it with most of the foods I've been eating up to now without feeling too full. Having at least 3 snacks during the day helps a lot, each snack can add up 100-200 kcals to the total intake.
  • a_stronger_me13
    Options
    This is not his first post on the subject.

Someone made a redundant post on MFP?! *gasp* Say it ain't so!

*Edited to remove wall of text.