Had My First Spin Class... Need Advice!

Options
00trayn
00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
I finally joined a gym this week, and thus I attended my first spin class last night. It was an awesome workout, except it's incredibly painful to sit on the bike seat! I'm sooooo sore this morning from it! I've never really been a biker, so maybe I'm just not used to it. But, I was hoping for some advice from the regular "spinners" on MFP. Should I invest in a bike cushion to put on the spinning bike? Get padded shorts? Suck it up for a week or two until I'm used to it? I'm planning to go to this class every Wednesday from now on, so I'd be willing to spend a bit of money for comfort. And tips are appreciated, thanks! I'm hoping that spinning will help get rid of these last 12 lbs so I can reach my goal soon.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Get a $10-20 gel padded seat at walmart/target etc, but honestly after a couple weeks you get used to it, I dont use one anymore.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I remember being SO sore after my first few spinning classes too!! (TMI alert - even sitting down on the toilet was painful!)

I never bought anything for it, and your body gets used to it, although I wouldn't recommend doing 2 classes on 2 back to back days haha - usually those classes are once a week anyways.

Good luck!! :)
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    A padded seat is the way to go. Initially you will still feel sore, but it does go away.
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new gym membership! I started spinning in August and the first time I went I was so sore I thought I would die. I couldn't understand how people could do that regularly! Oddly enough, you do get "used" to it. You'll be less sore each time. After about 3 classes I was completely fine. I spin 3-4 times a week now with absolutely no problems at all. But there are a few people in my classes who have the gel seats. I think it's completely personal preference. Just stick with it. It's a fabulous work out. I've lost a few pounds and several inches from my thighs!
  • krs10bauer
    krs10bauer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't invest the money in a padded seat...you will get used to it very quickly! You might be a little sore again after class next week but it won't be as bad as this week. Trust me, it gets better fast! Isn't spinning great?!
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I say just get used to it....when I started spinning, cushions were available for my use...honestly, they really didn't work, the seat was still uncomfortable and my butt hurt the most the next morning. But, I took a break from a spinning---a long break over a year and when I got back into it with no cushion, my butt was completely fine after the third class. So give it a couple of weeks and then decide. Push through the butt pain!! :)
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I was sooooo sore I wanted to die and never go back. I went to one two days later, pushed through the uncomfortableness and after that I was fine. I never invested in the shorts or the seat pad or anything. You will get use to it though.
  • 00trayn
    Options
    Hahaha, I suspected I might just need to give it a few classes. I'll be back at it again next week. I'll definitely stop by Target or Walmart for a seat cushion if it's still really painful after the next few classes. It hurt a lot while I was biking, not just after, so maybe a cushion would help a bit with that. I liked the standing up parts because my butt got a break... LOL.

I'm excited to hear the good results you've all have had from spin class, it looks like a good addition to my workout routine!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I think the magic number is three...that's how many classes it took for me to get to the point that my tush region does not hurt anymore after class.
    Stick with it, we all have a little soreness at first. It's a great workout, I had to leave my class early the other night because my legs were on fire, but I will be back in the saddle tomarrow!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the shorts! They also help you not slip on the seat and allow you to get in a better work out. Also, many people who just start tend to have the rear-end pains because the resistance isn't high enough which causes you to bounce on the seat and thus make the rump hurt. Make sure you are also sitting properly (you should be very far back on the seat as possible with your back parallel to the floor). Turn up the resistance...it should help...but the shorts will be beneficial in the long run (as are the shoes since they active more leg muscles (BURN MORE CALORIES)!) but ease in to it and the pain should lessen.

Good luck!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't invest the money in a padded seat...you will get used to it very quickly! You might be a little sore again after class next week but it won't be as bad as this week. Trust me, it gets better fast! Isn't spinning great?!

I totally agree. You do get used to it after like the 2nd or 3rd class.

I love spin class, it's such a great burn.

Congrats on the gym membership and have fun with the classes!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority here. I am totally addicted to spinning and spin 3-4 times a week and have for probably 5 years and I STILL use my seat. I'm actually asking for a new one for Christmas because the old one just gets nasty. I so agree though that if you start spinning regularly, the shoes are a great investment (pricey, but you don't need to replace them). They do work your legs harder and burn more calories. It does take about 3 classes before you really get it down and it doesn't hurt anymore, but I love my gel seat-totally worth $15!
  • OneFitLady
    OneFitLady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I suggest the seat, I don't do a class without mine - most bike seats were built for men so they are narrow in the most tender of places.

The bike shorts are also a good option (you may feel like you are wearing a diaper or pad the first time).

And, here's a class suggestion - sit "lighter" on the seat, especially during pop ups. Those are the sit for two, up for two, sit for two, etc. Sometimes you get going so fast that you plop down on the seat and this is also painful. Make your legs work and control the sit part.
  • 00trayn
    Options
    So if I get a gel seat, how do I know what size to buy? Is a spinning bike just a standard seat? This seat definitely wasn't a wide one, it was fairly narrow, so perhaps I can just walk into Target and get one that fits?
  • jgkimo
    jgkimo Posts: 61
    Options
    I have to agree, after 3-4 times your backside gets used to it. My first time OMG I felt like I was violated & could barely move. Did not know I even had backside muscles in those hard to reach places. But trust me, you get used to it very quickly. I go at least 4 times a week, burning over a 1000 cals easy each time and have lost over 50 lbs.
    Good luck with your new endeavor.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    So if I get a gel seat, how do I know what size to buy? Is a spinning bike just a standard seat? This seat definitely wasn't a wide one, it was fairly narrow, so perhaps I can just walk into Target and get one that fits?

We found ours at target or walmart, my wife still uses it.
  • Nathan33
    Options
    I recommend the padded shorts. I have never grown completly immune to a little "saddle soreness" from spin classes or long rides. Now is a good time of year to shop for them since it is off season. Keep an eye out for shorts on clearance racks at a cycling stores.
  • 00trayn
    Options
    OK, that's not bad. I think my gameplan is going to be to give it another couple classes without buying anything to see if it gets better. If it's still bothering me after that, I'll pick up a seat cushion or some padded shorts. I'm happy I found a new kind of workout that I enjoy! I seem to be in pain whenever I try something knew. My hips hurt for dayss after I started running from the impact, my arms killed from Chalean Extreme, and my inner thigh muscles from Turbo Fire. It's just an adjustment period for my bum with starting spinning.. hahaha.
  • areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just give it a few times to get adjusted. I teach twice a week and now it doesn't even bother me
  • dopegirl422
    Options
    I had this problem; but I am glad I didn't waste no money...After the 3rd class you will not be experiencing the first time spin pain!!!

Just suck it up is what I can say

IT GETS WAY BETTER!!!!