Protein shakes/ vitamins/ supps

Options
I have been clean eating for a Good few weeks now and lost 4 lbs I want to know am I best to try protein shakes or any supplement to speed things up,? My friends used maxi tone and swear by it anyone any advise I'm stuck and need advise or a boot in the right direction :)
Thx

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Any pill or supplement that claims to aid in weightloss is a scam.
    That said, protein shakes can be helpful if you are having trouble meeting your protein macros within your calorie goal.
  • gonefishin1282
    gonefishin1282 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you lost 4 lbs in a few weeks....I wouldn't change a thing. That is a healthy weight loss!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Multi-Vitamin
    Fish Oil w/ Vitamin D
    Vitamin Shoppe Miracle Fiber
    GNC Psyllium Seed Husks
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Chocolate Whey
    Muscleology Nitro-Pro Chocolate Whey Isolate

Thats all the Vitamins/Supp's I use.
  • keddabee
    keddabee Posts: 81
    Options
    It really depends if you are planning to exercise or not.. If you aren't doing any exercise then protein only and vegetables is the best way to go. There are fat burners that you can use that will assist but they aren't for everyone as they are sometimes loaded with caffeine and can make people feel like their hearts are racing. I have used Crazyslim and it works for me but I don't feel comfortable popping pills all the time.

If you are exercising, you could use things like Super Pump (not sure if its available where you are) but it will help you push further and run faster :)

I would suggest going into a supplement store and asking for assistance and seeing what they say. They are the experts afterall and they know what they are talking about. Ii also don't know what you have available because I'm in NZ and they have different products available here.

I personally follow the bodytrim system which is clean eating (full protein and slowly introduce veges in). It works for me and you can do light exercise.
  • nebraskabrees
    Options
    Hello everyone I was banded 2-11-14 so I'm very new at this. I take multi-vitamins and calcium with vitamin D and for protein drinks I use a vegan shake with 26gm of protein. My question is do I need anything more?
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I was banded 2-11-14 so I'm very new at this. I take multi-vitamins and calcium with vitamin D and for protein drinks I use a vegan shake with 26gm of protein. My question is do I need anything more?

I would talk to your doctor about that.
    I don't know much about the lapband /: My surgical team was really against it.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    As far as supps go, I highly recommend taking aminos. They make a noticeable difference in my recovery time period when weight training.
    Just make sure to look at the size before purchasing as I've ended up with the mother of all horse pills!

I take
    multi
    fish oil
    vitamin d
    probiotic
    aminos

*Edited to say that these only will make a difference if you are lifting weights.
  • skateboardsquats
    Options

For an average (read:****ty)human you need 50g of protein a day minimum. If you are actively losing weight; aka exercising and lifting weights you should increase that amount to 75g as a minimum. Protein is used for everything in your body, organ health, muscle regeneration etc.

Yes shakes can help, especially since you are "banded", but remember that drinking your calories is never a good idea. Small meals balanced around a lean protein source are your best bet.
  • nebraskabrees
    Options
    Am I in the Bandsters group? I wanted to have the by-pass but my health wasnt working for me. I was having alot of troubles but I have lost 37lbs in the last 8 months so I cant live with it.
  • skateboardsquats
    Options
    Am I in the Bandsters group? I wanted to have the by-pass but my health wasnt working for me. I was having alot of troubles but I have lost 37lbs in the last 8 months so I cant live with it.

You were the one that identified yourself as a "banded" individual.

You need to accurately estimate your TDEE before you embark on a new diet. Especially since you are wheelchair bound.

Let's say you are 230lbs and 5'7", a healthy weight for you would be 130 at that height. If you ate properly you could safely lose 2 pounds a week. You could get down to a healthy weight in roughly 28 months. You need to start slow and get used to it as a new lifestyle cause its going to take a long time to get healthy again.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Keeping your protein up is recommended (.7 g to 1 g per lb lean body weight). I take a multitude of dietary supplements all carefully researched and based on particular needed, none for weight loss. I would recommend you do a lot of research on any supplement you want to take because all can cause negative side effects. Then, discuss your plans with your doctor. Some supplements can cause blood thinning or interactions with other drugs so you doctor should be consulted. If you are planning on adding more than one supplement, then add only one at a time and keep a watchful eye for side effects before adding further to your supplementation. Be warned, that some dietary supplements can actually cause weight gain and some also have calories that you should take into account.
  • nebraskabrees
    Options
    I am not wheelchair bound, I have came from being in wheelchair to now walking a mile a day. I did volunteer my status at banded which i see no problem with I was just asking if I was in the right group for me.:happy: