Vegan Problems (No question, just a rant)

Options
Saw this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1232989--you-re-the-fattest-skinny-girl-i-ve-ever-met, and it reminded me of some things I've heard lately from people about me being a vegan:
- That's not healthy! (My doctor, whom I see regularly, disagrees. Thanks for the free non-expert medical advice, though)
- How do you get your protein/calcium/iron/insert nutrient here? (Hmm...how do you get yours? I eat food. Also, see above.)
- Why are you eating that brownie? That's not healthy/organic/gluten-free! (Um, just because I'm vegan, doesn't mean I'm a health nut. I also really don't understand the need to equate veganism with the organic movement and/or celiac disease. What's up with that? I kind of like my gluten.)
- How are you fat? You're a vegan. (Well, I'm a vegan that likes brownies. Please see above.)
- And my favorite by far: Can you explain everything I've ever wanted to know about veganism right now, this very minute, because you are the ambassador of all things vegan, and I have serious questions that must be answered right now even though I have no desire to actually become a vegan myself and I don't know how to use google? (Please--just no).

Anyway, no real questions here, just wanted to rant for a minute. Any other vegans out there experience similar issues?

Replies

• FTMEADEHAWC
    Options
    You are too funny. And you do not stand alone. At my last work area we had a vegan who loved brownies too and carried a little extra around with him. Most people asked him why he was overweight. I found myself speechless on several occasions. Because you are Vegan that does not mean you are not human.
    I as well have heard people ask...you teach nutrition why are you over weight? DUH...Because I love food. Its crazy how narrow minded some can be. And i find myself thinking, my weight is who's concern, and why?
  • monnyq
    monnyq Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me...I'm just enjoying your rant. Good/funny read.
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I hate the inevitable question of 'So if you're vegan... What can you eat?!'
    It's like people can't even imagine a meal without some form of meat or dairy product in it.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan but vegetarian and I always get the protein thing - "I couldn't be vegetarian, I need protein." I'm on a high protein diet that doesn't include animals, thank you very much.

Or I hear "I couldn't get by just eating nuts and seeds." Riiiight.
  • Ginoo
    Ginoo Posts: 56
    Options
    What gets me is that way back in the day when I was still eating meat, nobody ever questioned my intake of protein, iron, calcium etc. or my health in general. Why should it be an issue for them now??? Why is it an issue for them at all .... aaah yes, I forgot, they are all expert nutritionists!
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    What gets me is that way back in the day when I was still eating meat, nobody ever questioned my intake of protein, iron, calcium etc. or my health in general. Why should it be an issue for them now??? Why is it an issue for them at all .... aaah yes, I forgot, they are all expert nutritionists!

Ha! I agree a lot with this. I found it often came from fairly unhealthy people also.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I never understand why people feel the right to tell give you unsolicited dietary advise. (or question your ability to make choices about what to feed yourself).

If you question a meat eater, you're a militant vegan. But its okay to question a vegan.

And god forbid, the opposite of the ice cream skinny fat girl! If you were to question a family member who was obese and said "you probably don't need that brownie" WHOO BOY the backlash you would get!
  • angelbella1010
    angelbella1010 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    YES! I experience all of the above on a daily basis. You forgot one though.

Oh, so you don't eat meat? But you eat fish right? …then you have to explain that yes, fish is an animal and no, I don't eat it. :)
  • emirandah
    emirandah Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh, gosh, the inevitable fish question. I also get that one about honey--"How can you not eat honey? It's natural!" I really don't understand how people understand me not eating dairy, but assume that honey is okay. Lol.