1,200 Calories Per Day?

Hello-

I am new to MFP and will begin to start logging my foods tomorrow. My current weigh is 147 and my goal weigh is 130 by May 31. I am 5'5. MFP says to eat 1,200 calories per day. Has anyone had any success with this? Would you recommend eating more than 1,200 per day?

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    I would start higher calories to see how you go. Why start off very low when you may lose fine with more calories. If things plateau down the track you have room to go lower in calories or increase intensity of exercise. Also perhaps don't follow the MFP suggested macros - too low in protein.
  • Great- how can I find my Macros?
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    i'd say you should track how many calories you eat currently for 2 or 3 days first of all. if you currently eat 1800 calorie in a regular day you will struggle a lot to go down at 1200. You should make the transition and shave off a few calorie every days. You'll be starving all day long because it does take a few weeks before you stop feeling hungry every few hours.

1200 is feasible but it is hard to get into, you just need to learn to make smart choices. Don't cut down all fat because it's still good for you. Just use the good one like olive oil and and nuts. Make sure to eat good carbs, oatmeal for exemple is great, whole grain in general. Be careful with the snacking, fresh fruits and veggies are always great. I'm usually hungry after eating just an apple or celery for example, so I dip it in peanut butter or eat an few almonds with it..

Side salads with meals are great because your plate look more full, it makes you chew a lot and fills your stomach quickly, it's a mind trick for your brain. I got used to no vinaigrette in salad (use lemon and/or spices instead), or half-fat ceasar salad dressing (a family favorite), it's a well invest 50 to 75 calories in my book.

Good luck :)
  • pocho269
    pocho269 Posts: 7 Member
    1200 works very well for me- I have been losing every week for 3 months-
  • 1200 is really not sustainable. I'm 4' 11" and I felt hungry so I used my TDEE number and it gave me 1340. SO I just stick to 1300-1400 a day and I've been loosing slowly but I know I can do this for a longer and I don't feel deprived.. if you loose weight *too* fast in a non sustainable manner you will gain it back! :D Good luck!
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    17lb is a lot to lost in 5 weeks...
  • whatsername182
    whatsername182 Posts: 11 Member
    I was at 1200 cals a day for a couple of weeks but I found it too tiring to watch so carefully to not go over that number so I went up to 1500. Lost weight every week on both numbers though!
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Are you exercising as well or just dieting?

If you are also exercising, you will be absolutely famished eating 1200 calories a day if you are anything like me. After putting in a solid effort at the gym 5 days a week and active rest on the other two days, there was no way I could sustain with such low amounts of calories. I bumped up my calories and adjusted my macros and have been noticing a big difference in my stamina, performance and energy. My weight loss time frame is not as aggressive as yours though, but 1200 still seems low IMO.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    I've tried 1,200 way back when. It amounted to me eating only 300 calories per meal, and about 150 calories per snack. I was starving and miserable, even when I ate back exercise calories. I had absolutely no energy, and could barely get through workouts (and worked out a ton so I could eat more! -_-)

I've personally found my body likes slow and steady more. Especially with a heart problem, if my blood sugar dips too low, or my body is straining from lack of energy, it can cause a really bad heart episode..and last time I was in the ER for it, that was a nice tall glass of nope I never want to experience again! So I like to stay fueled, and at 1,450-1,700 a day.

I would personally implore you to listen to your body, consult with a doctor, and find what is best for your body.
  • Rusty612
    Rusty612 Posts: 23 Member
    Every body is different - I lose weight at 1,350 net cal per day, but plateau at 1,200 after a couple weeks.
    I've found that committing to a net calorie goal and then burning (exercising) to make up the additional calories works really well - I know that if I eat 1,500 calories, I need to engage in some activity that burns the extra 150 to bring my net back down.
  • tabathas1991
    tabathas1991 Posts: 4 Member
    Every body is different - I lose weight at 1,350 net cal per day, but plateau at 1,200 after a couple weeks.
    I've found that committing to a net calorie goal and then burning (exercising) to make up the additional calories works really well - I know that if I eat 1,500 calories, I need to engage in some activity that burns the extra 150 to bring my net back down.

I've recently plateaued so I cut calories down more (and started logging). I'm not "new" but i never logged faithfully. I'm trying to log my food now and I feel fine with the calories I'm eating even when I walk 4+ miles after work. No light-headed feeling or anything but I'm not losing weight. If you can see my diary can anyone give advice?
  • Thanks for all the responses! I am an active gym rat and plan to keep going! Look like I will bump up my calories a bit!
  • Maryanne1923
    Maryanne1923 Posts: 53 Member
    Hi. Going by the height and weight info you've given, your age in your profile and that you say you are a active gym rat (moderately active?) here's how the calorie numbers add up:

BMR (calories your body need to function daily) 1482
    TDEE (total daily energy expenditure including activity level moderate) 2452

You want to lose 17lbs in 9 weeks so that' 1.9lbs per week or a calorie deficit of 950 calories per day
    You could eat 2452 - 950 = 1502 calories per day and hit your goal provided you keep up the moderate level of activity

Calculations from http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

:smile: so you could up your daily calories.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    I recommend BEFORE you start check how many calories you are eating. It gives you a true starting point.
    If you are currently eating 5000 cutting that in half would give you a good start.
    Good luck to you
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    17lb is a lot to lost in 5 weeks...

Yeah - how much will be fat....and how much will be muscle?

OP - fast weight loss often sacrifices lean muscle mass. Find your BMR and eat at least that. No way your BMR is 1200....I'm 5'5" over 50 & my BMR is higher than 1200.
  • _connie
    _connie Posts: 3
    i started yesterday and with 1,400 net was feeling good, (1,700 from eat and -300 exercises). didn't felt any hungry, will see how its gonna go for longer term :)
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    For me personally, 1200 a day is just not enough to keep me from being hungry. I looked on scoobys workshop to see what their suggested calories was and it was like 1465, so I custom set my calories at 1400. I did the 1200 last year and I lost, but not really fast, even when I ate back my exercise calories. I seem to be doing fine at the 1400 so far, and I'm not as hungry. That's what's working for me.
  • traceyseyfarth1
    traceyseyfarth1 Posts: 1 Member
    I've been reading your replies to this question as mine came up at 1200 as well and from past experience I was leary. Really helpful input. Thanks.
  • How can I set my own calorie limit? Seems MFP presets them?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    How can I set my own calorie limit? Seems MFP presets them?

Under MY HOME - GOALS- Choose CUSTOM and enter your own values