6 mini meals a day

Options
My boyfriend has gotten on this kick of eating 6 mini meals a day. Each mini meal is high in protein and his caloric intake is roughly 1700/day. He's working out a lot and losing weight/building muscle rapidly. He is convinced that eating every 3 hours is increasing his metabolism and that I would get better results if I did the same. Has anyone else heard of this? Does the timing of food consumption really matter? I always thought it was as simple as calories in vs calories used.

Replies

• Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I think (anyone who knows better, please correct me if I am wrong) but by eating little and often increases the metabolism because the body does not have time to get hungry so the body knows that food is not in shortage.
  • sloppyjack
    Options
    No, it's a load of rubbish. Check this out:
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-lose-fat/

Scroll down and you will see a experiment about a group given 3 meals a day and another group given 6 small meals a day, all consisting the same calories, they lost the same amount of weight.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    You know, if it works for him, it works for him. I do better without snacks. Several people swear by six a day, others 3 a day , and some people swear by having none a day for one day a week. Try whatever you feel suits you.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters much in weight loss, after all all you have to do is not eat more than you spend... For me I like eating this way too because this way I never get really full, and being full makes me feel tired and heavy. So it gives me more energy throughout the day. I don't think there's any other advantage to doing this.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Here is my theory about it. I like food, therefore, if I can eat 6 times a day I will! It helps my brain feel like I'm eating more, because I'm eating more frequently. If it helps you, go for it! It's all up to your personal choice
  • LauraFouhse
    LauraFouhse Posts: 115
    Options
    Changing my diet to eating 6 meals per day has SIGNIFICANTLY increased my metabolism. I also eat every 2-3 hours and at every meal have some protein source and veggies.. lots of veggies. I feel SO much better. I have more energy throughout the day. I am building muscle. I am losing fat. I am never hungry. I'm so grateful that my trainer suggested this plan.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Building muscle rapidly with only 1700 calories a day. OK
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Any research into it I've seen has shown it makes no difference at all.

Yes, it'll increase your metabolism twice as many times having 6 rather than 3 meals.
    But each time you'll only increase it by half the amount.

If you find you like it, go for it, otherwise don't - it shouldn't change your metabolic rate.

Me, I prefer an 8 hour eating window - works better for me in keeping my food intake down.
  • JimiB73
    JimiB73 Posts: 34
    Options
    I used to eat 6 meals....now I eat 2 big ones. Actually have seen better results this way. In any case if he's only eating 1700 calories he's not building muscle. He's losing fat by restricting calories. The key is just find what is going to keep you more consistent in meeting your goals.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I tried this on the advice of a nutritionist and it didn't work for my life. I now eat 3 meals a day plus a snack here and there. By snack I mean a piece of fruit or small (very small) bowl of chia pudding.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Don't care for it. Each meal is so small that no meal is satisfying. I much prefer less frequent, larger meals.
  • UltimateTia
    UltimateTia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your opinions on this matter. :smile:
  • UltimateTia
    UltimateTia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... maybe I'm just seeing the muscle he already has more clearly then. He seems to look more cut.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Changing my diet to eating 6 meals per day has SIGNIFICANTLY increased my metabolism. I also eat every 2-3 hours and at every meal have some protein source and veggies.. lots of veggies. I feel SO much better. I have more energy throughout the day. I am building muscle. I am losing fat. I am never hungry. I'm so grateful that my trainer suggested this plan.

How do you know it increased your metabolism. Perhaps eating regularly keeps your appetite in check and you don't over-eat going over your calorie deficit when eating less meals per day.
  • pocho269
    pocho269 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way- this approach also works for me and I feel like I am always eating and my stomach never growls from hunger. I choose healthy mini meals and snacks- lost 23 lbs in 11 weeks-