Eating back exercise calories?

Options
Hello, I'm pretty new to MFP. I've been counting calories (manually, pen and paper) and weightlifting three times a week, an hour per session, very consistently, since October.

Now, I've lost about 11 kg doing that and the thing is, I either eat about the same or a hundred kcal more on lifting days, but I never bothered eating back the calories that I burned during either lifting or cardio/bodyweight sessions because I have absolutely no idea how much I actually burn doing those.

I've been kind of stalling on weightloss, even gaining weight after visiting my parents on weekends (where I have no way of tracking my calories but try to keep portions small) and I honestly don't know how to deal with this new information. How do I figure out how much I burn doing exercises without completely overestimating calories? If eating back calories is vital, what macros should I focus on?

For reference, I try to eat around 1250 on rest days and about 1400 on lifting days. Sometimes it doesn't quite work out, but I'm probably only above 1500 when I'm at my parents'. According to MFP, my BMR is around 1460. I follow the Stronglifts routine and do bodyweight exercises at home which add up to about 30 minutes. Seeing as how consistently gradual my weightloss has been, I don't think I need to eat any calories back.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    For non lifting exercises you can log it in the exercise portion MFP and MFP will give you an estimate of calories burned. This is over estimated so it is suggested you eat back 50-75% of them.

Weight lifting is another story...I have read that it is underestimated here on MFP...

As for the weight loss...if it's only been a week it's not a stall..but your diary isn't open so quesitons will be asked...

do you weigh your food? log everything you can...accurately?

As for Macros is you are lifting concentrate on Protien first, fats then carbs.

I suspect you could eat more calories with your activity, the goal should be to have the highest possible calorie goal while still losing your weekly weight loss goal...and with 6kg left that should be 1/2lb or 1/4kg a week.
  • youngestadult
    Options
    As for the weight loss...if it's only been a week it's not a stall..but your diary isn't open so quesitons will be asked...

do you weigh your food? log everything you can...accurately?

Yes, I weigh everything on an electric scale. My diary isn't open because I haven't been using MFP but a calculator and the nutritional info on the packages. I could type up one of my many diary entries, lol.

I see, so I'm fine if I don't see any direct progression within a week? I weigh myself first thing in the morning, sometimes nothing happens, sometimes it's 2 lbs overnight after stalling for two weeks.
  • odjit
    odjit Posts: 58
    Options
    I never eat back my workout calories. I just don't put them into mfp so I don't have to deal with it telling me I should eat more. My mother used to be the fitness coordinator for a naval base (she's in her 50s and recently ran her first marathon and climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro -- the woman's in phenomenal shape) and she said she told me that she doesn't advise eating back workout calories unless you're trying to gain.
  • youngestadult
    Options
    I never eat back my workout calories. I just don't put them into mfp so I don't have to deal with it telling me I should eat more. My mother used to be the fitness coordinator for a naval base (she's in her 50s and recently ran her first marathon and climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro -- the woman's in phenomenal shape) and she said she told me that she doesn't advise eating back workout calories unless you're trying to gain.

Okay, thank you for your input, too! Apparently as long as I don't feel terribly fatigued all the time (I don't) I'm doing okay.

I might add a hundred calories on lifting days, something protein/fats-heavy, but not more.
  • denise2648
    denise2648 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Oh wow, thanks for this! I was going to post and ask about that. I have been doing MFP for a moth now and have gained 3lbs. I am earning 500-800 calories a day from my exercises (I am just starting out) and have been eating those extra calories. NOW it makes sense why I am not losing!
  • shanniem1
    shanniem1 Posts: 35
    Options
    I was also going to post this today!
    I read that you shouldn't eat your burn calories for strength training.

I will eat extra if I am very hungry when I had cardio burn calories. If I'm hungry! Most days I am because I'm burning 500-900 cals some workouts.

Try a heart rate monitor to get an accurate calorie burn. I have a polar FT60 and i love it. Helps me keep in the right heart rate zones too. :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

computer-facepalm.gif

She has absolutely no idea what she's talking about and obviously doesn't know how NEAT works. When you enter your goals into MFP it sets up your caloric goal with the deficit built in assuming you will do ZERO EXERCISE, so when you exercise you create an even bigger, and sometimes dangerous, caloric defict.

So, according to you mother, if MFP gives me a caloric goal of 2000 calories to lose 1lb per week (assuming I will do no exercise). I eat that 2000 calories, then go to the gym and work off 400. I'm now nettig 1600. I come home, eat 400 more getting me to 2000. I'm still in the exact deficit that MFP gave me, but according to your mother I will gain weight in that deficit.

Please people....this is how MFP works. If you do TDEE -%, then yes, you don't eat anything back because that method accounts for your calories.

Edit for the fun of it:

US Army Master Fitness
  • RGv2
    Options

Oh wow, thanks for this! I was going to post and ask about that. I have been doing MFP for a moth now and have gained 3lbs. I am earning 500-800 calories a day from my exercises (I am just starting out) and have been eating those extra calories. NOW it makes sense why I am not losing!

That poster is incorrect.

You are most likely over-estimating your caloric burn, along with your body retaining water from the new exercise regimen.
  • youngestadult
    Options

computer-facepalm.gif

She has absolutely no idea what she's talking about and obviously doesn't know how NEAT works. When you enter your goals into MFP it sets up your caloric goal with the deficit built in assuming you will do ZERO EXERCISE, so when you exercise you create an even bigger, and sometimes dangerous, caloric defict.

So, according to you mother, if MFP gives me a caloric goal of 2000 calories to lose 1lb per week (assuming I will do no exercise). I eat that 2000 calories, then go to the gym and work off 400. I'm now nettig 1600. I come home, eat 400 more getting me to 2000. I'm still in the exact deficit that MFP gave me, but according to your mother I will gain weight in that deficit.

Please people....this is how MFP works. If you do TDEE -%, then yes, you don't eat anything back because that method accounts for your calories.

Edit for the fun of it:

US Army Master Fitness

I gathered as much, but is it actually harmful not to eat them back?

Also thanks for everyone's input, it's very appreciated. I'm simply very worried about eating back any calories because I lose slowly enough as is.
  • RGv2
    Options

computer-facepalm.gif

Edit for the fun of it:

US Army Master Fitness

I gathered as much, but is it actually harmful not to eat them back?

Also thanks for everyone's input, it's very appreciated. I'm simply very worried about eating back any calories because I lose slowly enough as is.

Lose slow enough as it is? You're down to only 6kg (13lbs) left. It's not going to to come off very fast.

From here we really need more information. What is your goal set at for weight loss. What is your caloric goal, also Ht, Wt, Age. Also opening your diary would be helpful.

I can't say if not eating back your calories is dangerous or not....for you...because I can't see what you net.

Also, weight gain over a weekend is going to be water weight. You'd need to eat 3500 calories over maintenance to gain a pound of fat.
  • Chesty36
    Chesty36 Posts: 3
    Options
    I always eat back my exercise calories. When I've tried before, I have never really seen great results and often had weeks where I put on or stalled. The thing I changed this year is the TYPE of food I eat - all calories are not equal, it's simple. Instead of using my calories on bread or white carbs, I have started filling up on veg and I have never been so successful. I don't know if this is the answer, I'm just sharing my experience so far.
  • youngestadult
    Options
    Lose slow enough as it is? You're down to only 6kg (13lbs) left. It's not going to to come off very fast.

From here we really need more information. What is your goal set at for weight loss. What is your caloric goal, also Ht, Wt, Age. Also opening your diary would be helpful.

I can't say if not eating back your calories is dangerous or not....for you...because I can't see what you net.

Also, weight gain over a weekend is going to be water weight. You'd need to eat 3500 calories over maintenance to gain a pound of fat.

It's set at 0.5 kg a week, I chose Lightly active so my daily goal is set at 1460 kcal. I'm 5'4'' and currently 147lbs and I'm 21.
    Also I just started using the diary but still find it difficult to actually find the foods that I've been eating, so I keep track of them on paper with the help of this http://nutritiondata.self.com/ site - I could type out my entry for today as that's a pretty typical day for me, fruit and veg consumption varies.

Chicken stir fry with onion, red pepper, asian veg, assorted mushrooms, fresh cucumber - 281 kcal
    Peanutbutter banana sandwich - 246 kcal
    Fruit Muesli with lowfat quark and lowfat milk - 485 kcal
    Turkey breast sandwich with avocado, cucumber and whole boiled egg - 314 kcal

Today also happens to be lifting day, but I have no idea how much I burn doing the Stronglifts routine.

I'm sorry for the complications, I'm really, really new here.

[Edit]
    Usually I have 50 grammes of carbs (lentils or brown rice) but water supply is cut off right now so I couldn't cook
  • RGv2
    Options

It's set at 0.5 kg a week, I chose Lightly active so my daily goal is set at 1460 kcal. I'm 5'4'' and currently 147lbs and I'm 21.
    Also I just started using the diary but still find it difficult to actually find the foods that I've been eating, so I keep track of them on paper with the help of this http://nutritiondata.self.com/ site - I could type out my entry for today as that's a pretty typical day for me, fruit and veg consumption varies.

Chicken stir fry with onion, red pepper, asian veg, assorted mushrooms, fresh cucumber - 281 kcal
    Peanutbutter banana sandwich - 246 kcal
    Fruit Muesli with lowfat quark and lowfat milk - 485 kcal
    Turkey breast sandwich with avocado, cucumber and whole boiled egg - 314 kcal

Today also happens to be lifting day, but I have no idea how much I burn doing the Stronglifts routine.

I'm sorry for the complications, I'm really, really new here.

Are you lightly active if you don't count exercise?

Let's say that you do 1-3 hrs a week of light exercise.

TDEE = 2045 (what you would need to eat to maintain your weight while exercising)
    BMR = 1487 (what would sustain you if you laid on the couch all day)
    TDEE -20% = 1636 (what is normally accepted as a good deficit for losing weight at a sustainable pace).

I'm going to guess that with your goal of 1460 from MFP, and eating back your exercise cals, you'd be right around that 1636. How are you estimating cals burned? MFP and machines CAN be notoriously high.

Most recommend eating back 50-75% of exercise cals and adjust from there.

EDIT:

If that's a typical day for caloric intake, you're right around 1300 so I would make sure you're taking in AT LEAST some of your exercise cals. Your body needs the fuel, especially at your age.
  • youngestadult
    Options
    Are you lightly active if you don't count exercise?

Let's say that you do 1-3 hrs a week of light exercise.

TDEE = 2045 (what you would need to eat to maintain your weight while exercising)
    BMR = 1487 (what would sustain you if you laid on the couch all day)
    TDEE -20% = 1636 (what is normally accepted as a good deficit for losing weight at a sustainable pace).

I'm going to guess that with your goal of 1460 from MFP, and eating back your exercise cals, you'd be right around that 1636. How are you estimating cals burned? MFP and machines CAN be notoriously high.

Most recommend eating back 50-75% of exercise cals and adjust from there.

I think so, I go to school, I do household chores since I live alone, grocery shopping, I have no car so I have to walk every day to get to people/places/gym. Generally I don't spend all of my time just sitting around.

I don't really know how to estimate the calories burned from doing exercise, to be honest, so I haven't really estimated them. I've been told that the hour of strength training I do can burn anywhere from 200-500 calories, so I'd estimate around 200 since I'm a novice weightlifter.

Edit:
    If that's a typical day for caloric intake, you're right around 1300 so I would make sure you're taking in AT LEAST some of your exercise cals. Your body needs the fuel, especially at your age.
    Okay, thank you. I'll bump it up a little on lift days and see where it takes me.
  • denise2648
    denise2648 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Haha I am so confused now....ok so I get 1250 a day according to MFP. I earn 500 by walking/working out. So I should wind up eating 1750 that day?

I have MFP synched with my Fitbit so that is adding in the calories based off of that. So my gain is from the workouts then?

I am so clueless when it comes to this
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Haha I am so confused now....ok so I get 1250 a day according to MFP. I earn 500 by walking/working out. So I should wind up eating 1750 that day?

I have MFP synched with my Fitbit so that is adding in the calories based off of that. So my gain is from the workouts then?

I am so clueless when it comes to this

^^^^^ Yes ..... or eat 50% of the 500 calories at least so you'll eat 1500 that day !!!