Homemade Instant Oatmeal "Packets" - YUM!

Options
_lyndseybrooke_
_lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
So, some people have no problem getting up early and cooking their breakfast on the stove. I do have a problem with this, as I don't want to wake up any earlier than I have to. Therefore, I like to sleep a little longer and make a quick, convenient breakfast that I can eat at my desk at work. I like oatmeal, but the make-ahead slow cooker recipes I was trying either turned to a gelatinous mush or was absolutely flavorless no matter what I put in it. Some people like bland oatmeal, but I don't! I grew up on those Quaker flavored instant oatmeal packets and that's what I like. The problem is that one packet is hardly a serving and it's filled with unnecessary sugars and artificial flavors. Well, I FINALLY found the perfect thing...

Homemade Instant Oatmeal "Packets"

10 cups quick oats
1-2 cups brown sugar (I put 2)
1 cup sugar-free dairy-free creamer (powder, not liquid)

Instructions: Place 7 cups of quick oats in a large bowl. Place the other 3 cups in a blender until they are blended to a powder and add to bowl. Add brown sugar and creamer and stir until mixed well. Measure out 1/2 cup servings into individual plastic baggies. When you're ready to eat, add 3/4 cup water or milk and microwave for 1-2 minutes. Add any toppings you like. Yields about 24 servings. Serving size: 1 cup prepared.

Each packet contains a little over 200 calories. I use skim milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon and TA-DA, a healthy and delicious breakfast for under 300 calories. Plus, it provides me with three weeks of breakfast with about 10 minutes of prep. No more tasteless, gummy oatmeal for me!

**If you're wondering, blending the oats into a powder creates the consistency of oatmeal you find in the Quaker packets.

Enjoy!

Replies

• slammy1968
    slammy1968 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • leeannewgeorge
    leeannewgeorge Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RebeccaBlaisdell
    Options
    Bump
  • GeorgeL583
    GeorgeL583 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love instant oatmeal, I'll have to try this, thanks.
  • qtfrog99
    qtfrog99 Posts: 25
    Options
    This sounds really good, I am going to have to give it a try:smile:
  • llearningtolive
    llearningtolive Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good idea! I wonder how well this would work in a protein pancake? I usually add a package of instant oatmeal ( apples & cinnamon ) in with a whole egg, 2 egg whites, a 1/2 scoop of protein vanilla cream powder to make an alternative pancake and your homemade version sounds like it would be much healthier than the store bought kind. I'll give it a try!
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Bump. But just wondering about the creamer. I don't use creamer so i don't know but won't a sugar free powder creamer have artificial ingredients too?
  • qoran
    qoran Posts: 1
    Options
    Horrible this will not help you lose weight, full of sugar!
  • EvanElric
    EvanElric Posts: 34
    Options
    Awesome Idea. Totez gonna try this (:
  • oxaloacetate
    oxaloacetate Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Going to try this! (Sans creamer though)
  • jacquiearchambault
    jacquiearchambault Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    So, some people have no problem getting up early and cooking their breakfast on the stove. I do have a problem with this, as I don't want to wake up any earlier than I have to. Therefore, I like to sleep a little longer and make a quick, convenient breakfast that I can eat at my desk at work. I like oatmeal, but the make-ahead slow cooker recipes I was trying either turned to a gelatinous mush or was absolutely flavorless no matter what I put in it. Some people like bland oatmeal, but I don't! I grew up on those Quaker flavored instant oatmeal packets and that's what I like. The problem is that one packet is hardly a serving and it's filled with unnecessary sugars and artificial flavors. Well, I FINALLY found the perfect thing...

Homemade Instant Oatmeal "Packets"

10 cups quick oats
    1-2 cups brown sugar (I put 2)
    1 cup sugar-free dairy-free creamer (powder, not liquid)

Instructions: Place 7 cups of quick oats in a large bowl. Place the other 3 cups in a blender until they are blended to a powder and add to bowl. Add brown sugar and creamer and stir until mixed well. Measure out 1/2 cup servings into individual plastic baggies. When you're ready to eat, add 3/4 cup water or milk and microwave for 1-2 minutes. Add any toppings you like. Yields about 24 servings. Serving size: 1 cup prepared.

Each packet contains a little over 200 calories. I use skim milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon and TA-DA, a healthy and delicious breakfast for under 300 calories. Plus, it provides me with three weeks of breakfast with about 10 minutes of prep. No more tasteless, gummy oatmeal for me!

**If you're wondering, blending the oats into a powder creates the consistency of oatmeal you find in the Quaker packets.

Enjoy!

EXCELLENT! THANK YOU!
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Love your idea! Might have to give it a try with a few of my own modifications. I really like raisins in mine....wondering if lowering the sugar and adding some raisins instead might be an option. I will try it out anyways! Thanks for the idea.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    Love your idea! Might have to give it a try with a few of my own modifications. I really like raisins in mine....wondering if lowering the sugar and adding some raisins instead might be an option. I will try it out anyways! Thanks for the idea.

I'm sure that would be great! I put in the full two cups of brown sugar because I'm not a big fan of bland food, and oatmeal is pretty darn bland unless it has a good bit of sugar in it. But the raisins sound like a yummy addition!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    great idea!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it would work with normal oats too? I would also leave out the creamer. Meh either way interesting idea. Glad you found a way to make oatmeal work for you!
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • LeahNMe
    LeahNMe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
    I see this all the time. What is bump?
    And great idea btw, I was just thinking this morning I wanted some oatmeal but also do not like the "instant" thank you :flowerforyou:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tossed the brown sugar and creamer in the blender once your 3 cups are powdered? It seems to me that this might give better consistency to distribution of the sweetener/creamer... I bet you could take any dehydrated fruit and powder some and dice the rest to add for a quick addition (thinking about the lady who mentioned apple & cinnamon flavor). I would love to hear if anyone found they could lower the sugar more by adding other spices. I'm a huge fan of cinnamon, so I would probably add more. Maybe if we knew the spice blend for "& Spice" or something. And perhaps adding protein powder to emulate the "high protein" blends? This option is seemingly endless. Oh, and I use DARK brown sugar for an extra boost of flavor (it has more molasses and is typically less processed than traditional brown sugar). Might try "Sugar in the Raw," too. Powdered, it would probably dissolve easier.... Hmm... I'd love to hear flavor suggestions.

Oh, and to the gentleman who asked about the sugar-free, if you got a sweetened creamer, you'd want to make sure and get sugar-free and lower the brown sugar. Traditional unflavored non-dairy creamer doesn't have any added sugar.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    bump
    I see this all the time. What is bump?

It means they're "bumping" the thread back up to the top of the list, so it shows up in "recent posts," usually causing more people to respond to it because they never saw it when it was new. Or making it easier for them to find it later, as it'll show up in their "My Topics" because they did technically answer it. That's my understanding, anyway.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    Have you ever tossed the brown sugar and creamer in the blender once your 3 cups are powdered? It seems to me that this might give better consistency to distribution of the sweetener/creamer... I bet you could take any dehydrated fruit and powder some and dice the rest to add for a quick addition (thinking about the lady who mentioned apple & cinnamon flavor). I would love to hear if anyone found they could lower the sugar more by adding other spices. I'm a huge fan of cinnamon, so I would probably add more. Maybe if we knew the spice blend for "& Spice" or something. And perhaps adding protein powder to emulate the "high protein" blends? This option is seemingly endless. Oh, and I use DARK brown sugar for an extra boost of flavor (it has more molasses and is typically less processed than traditional brown sugar). Might try "Sugar in the Raw," too. Powdered, it would probably dissolve easier.... Hmm... I'd love to hear flavor suggestions.

Oh, and to the gentleman who asked about the sugar-free, if you got a sweetened creamer, you'd want to make sure and get sugar-free and lower the brown sugar. Traditional unflavored non-dairy creamer doesn't have any added sugar.

No, I haven't tried that, but I haven't experienced any problem with the consistency. It all mixed together very well and no one particular flavor stands out. I sprinkle cinnamon on top once it's cooked, but you could always add cinnamon beforehand. I just think adding things like that after it's cooked allows you to use less for the same flavor. Good tip with the dark brown sugar and the protein powder (I hadn't thought of that one). But like I said, I've never had a problem with how everything dissolves.

I'm down to my last batch of 5 servings for next week, but I haven't experimented with anything other than my cinnamon. I don't really have the calories to spare at the moment.