What can I do with a whole head of kale?

Options

Replies

• ginyspills
    ginyspills Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great ideas!!! I ended up making a delicious shrimp, kale, cashew, shredded carrot & ginger stir-fry. I winged the recipe off of something I read and it turned out heavenly!! I'll be sure to try all of these recommendations though. Cheers!!
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Saute and toss with garlic
    Blend into a smoothie
    Kale chips
    Cut into ribbons and "massage" for raw salad
    Stir ribbons into hot, cooked grains
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    My ex made it with soup once.
    There was chicken in it, chicken stock, bok choy, kale, and sriracha.
    It was sooo good. I'm sure you could add carrots and potatoes to it as well for an added boost!
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    EvenThatNameIsTaken Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are awesome! just remember not to put too much salt on them as they shrink in the oven. I have a friend who uses a dehydrator to dry his with certain spices, with excellent results! personally just olive oil and sea salt tastes great to me :)
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    EvenThatNameIsTaken Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great ideas!!! I ended up making a delicious shrimp, kale, cashew, shredded carrot & ginger stir-fry. I winged the recipe off of something I read and it turned out heavenly!! I'll be sure to try all of these recommendations though. Cheers!!

that sounds delish!!
  • HappinessFreedomForever
    Options
    Kale and spinach are both super foods. I use them both in my smoothies. I also juice several kale sprigs daily along with carrots, celery, cucumber, beets, apples, parsley, oranges, and lemon.
  • laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    pass it along to a friend. unless you don't like giving head, of course.
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Last night I sauteed lots of shredded kale, chopped onion and mushrooms in a tiny bit of olive oil. After about 10 minutes, I added a little balsamic vinegar and sauteed about another 5 minutes. At the end, I stirred in about an ounce of Gorgonzola until it melted through. It was absolutely divine as a side dish to our salmon.
  • callen803
    callen803 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hes anyone mentioned kale pesto? Super yummy!!! We grow our own and do a lot of salad and stir fry.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I keep reading about the health benefits of kale. I usually eat spinach or romaine, but want to try some new greens. I've read about kale crisps and a kale soup, but does anyone have any interesting ideas? How do you inhale your kale? :-D

throw it at somebody you don't like
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I keep reading about the health benefits of kale. I usually eat spinach or romaine, but want to try some new greens. I've read about kale crisps and a kale soup, but does anyone have any interesting ideas? How do you inhale your kale? :-D

throw it at somebody you don't like

I love all vegetables but can't see anything tasty about this one so far. Not trying it again after about 6 attempts. Yuck.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I add it to stir fry.

I put it in smoothies instead of spinach.

I saute it with olive oil, garlic, black pepper, chili powder, and sea salt and eat it as a side dish.

I add it to soups and stews (finely chopped or pureed).

I make chips out of it.

As soon as the ground thaws, you can plant kale and have a great supply. It's a great cool season crop and only costs a few cents to get growing from seed.:smile:
  • DianeEvans69
    DianeEvans69 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
  • aly2503
    aly2503 Posts: 1
    Options
    You could make Kale Pesto and freeze in portion sizes. Fab with pasta. Here's a link to the recipe
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2872687/kale-pesto

I always add a lot more kale to the recipe - 5 times as much! Delicious.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/08/kale-salad-with-pecorino-and-walnuts/#comments
    It was my dinner and I literally could eat it every day of the week. I used to hate kale.
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A friend made me a salad with kale that was really good. She shredded the kale added beets (fresh steamed) and Asian sesame dressing and let it sit overnight. Some pumpkin seeds on top and yummy!
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    1. Set it on fire. Because science.
    2. Wrap it up as a Christmas gift for your mother-in-law.
    3. Cut it in half and stuff into your jeans. Instant booty implants
    4. Electrocute it. Because moar science.

Hopefully that helps :flowerforyou:
  • Flossiesdoll
    Options
    I usually just steam it and add a dressing of hemp oil and lemon juice.
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I always treat it the way I do spinach. Either make Green Soup with stock, kale, asparagus, watercress, broccoli and parsley, then whizz in the blender with a bit of creme fraiche. Or sautee it with chilli flakes and some freshly squeezed lime juice.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

I read about the health benefits of kale on the Mayo Clinc website. Somewhere on their website they say that kale is best steamed if you want to keep the immune system benefits. It loses most of them when you boil it.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/search/search-results?q=kale

They also have some recipes if you search for kale on their site.

I swear by kale. I'm not a health food person, but I've been exposed to people with viruses and colds at work, eat steamed kale almost every day, and haven't gotten sick.