Poop.

Options
I don't know if I'll ever be happy with my body. Don't get me wrong, I think i'm doing a great job and I can definitely tell the difference, but I think i'm getting over confident because yesterday I got ready to go to dinner with some friends. I got dressed in a cute black skirt and a cute tank top with a cute shrug and cute slip on shoes, did my hair, did my make-up, I just felt pretty. Sounds awesome right?

Well, some of the girls posted pictures on the message board and I think i'm fooling myself. I look so fat. My arms look humongous, my face has a double chin, my body looked fatter in the picture than i thought it did when I left the house.

I'm really struggling with this right now. How can I make myself believe I look good and then see pictures of myself and see the truth? How do I stop this and just be happy with myself without worrying about how fat I look?

I hate this. :frown:

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'll ever be happy with my body. Don't get me wrong, I think i'm doing a great job and I can definitely tell the difference, but I think i'm getting over confident because yesterday I got ready to go to dinner with some friends. I got dressed in a cute black skirt and a cute tank top with a cute shrug and cute slip on shoes, did my hair, did my make-up, I just felt pretty. Sounds awesome right?

Well, some of the girls posted pictures on the message board and I think i'm fooling myself. I look so fat. My arms look humongous, my face has a double chin, my body looked fatter in the picture than i thought it did when I left the house.

I'm really struggling with this right now. How can I make myself believe I look good and then see pictures of myself and see the truth? How do I stop this and just be happy with myself without worrying about how fat I look?

I hate this. :frown:
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    i felt the same exact way. last week on 8-1-08 went clubbing with my sis and sis-n-law, and one of her sister. they all looked so skinny, but me, i looked so fat. i felt good inside before going to the club but after seeing those pictures, i was so disappointed. i wanted to vomit!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The camera sucks. That whole "it adds ten pounds" cliche is totally true.

Also, the camera freezes us at the most unflattering moments. The entire gossip rag industry is built on this.

I too, hate pics of myself. I've just resolved that I'm not very photogenic.

Here's my rule: if you think you look hot, you do.:flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Oh, don't be so hard on yourself!!! We all have those days!! Think about all the weight loss you have accomplished!! Great job!!! Forget about those pictures. Think positive and keep moving forward!!! :flowerforyou:
  • lina1131
    Options
    I want to just be happy, but I struggle with this so much. It totally sucks.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    ((((((((((((Lina))))))))))))))

Girl first....you're gorgeous, I've seen all your before and progress pics....you're beautiful....

Second....remember what we said about the angle thing and us?! I've been holding onto that girl...don't take that one away!

Third....we are our own worst critics honey, and this is gonna take time to get to our goals....I was actually looking for my fat pics to post to the before and after pics because I got soooo pumped up after reading that thread and then was like...ah not much difference...and got soooo depressed!!

so I know how you feel....but seriously, you are doing amazing, you will not always feel like this...its like a haircut you don't like and its at that growing out stage...only the opposite.....it will get to the point where you (and I) like the pics those PEOPLE post of us....lol...

big hugs girl....you're a hawtie....don't get down!!!
    Ali :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Hey Lina, you have done such a great job so far, don't be discouraged! Your before and recent pics show how much you have accomplished. :drinker:

I have not lost nearly as much as you have, yet I'm smaller and more toned than I was before. I struggle with this same thing too. There are times when I feel like I look really good, but then I'll be with friends, out wherever, and no one says a thing, not one compliment. It then makes me wonder if it's all just in my head and maybe I don't look that much different. URRGG!!! Why do we do this to ourselves??? WE know we have done well and are making changes for the better, for a lifetime, our clothes are smaller, etc. WHY, WHY, WHY do we beat ourselves up???

Don't dismiss how far you have already come! Just use the pics as a new movitivation to keep going!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lina1131
    Options
    Thanks ladies for putting up with my whiney butt. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lina1131
    Options

Am I the first person in history to make you speechless? :noway:
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Thanks ladies for putting up with my whiney butt. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Think nothing of it. That's what we are all here for!!! To love and support each...:flowerforyou:
  • johmapri
    johmapri Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi Lina. This is my first post. My name is Lizmel. I just wanted to let you know that pictures sometimes suck! The same thing happens to me. On certain days when I am getting ready to go out and do the same thing as you, hair, makeup, the works and I look at myself in the mirror I think "I look so pretty, crap I think I even look hot, and then you see the picture... and I am like "is that what I really look like?" and it kills me. My brest friend who is sometimes with me and sees the picture tells me she doesnt see me like in the picture and cant understand why it looks like that. My husband tells me the same. Move forward, you are doing a great job and will continue to do even better. Its all about how you felt inside before you left your house to go out.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    The camera is a horrible thing :devil: that you should not hold too much stock in. I had this happen about two weeks ago. I went to a party and thought I was looking damn good. I was strutting my stuff and jumping in every photo I could (I used to jump in front of the camera before but would have something strategically placed in front of me). Got the pictures from a friend...my face was bloated...stomach roll (albeit not as big as it used to be)...ughhh, I was so sad. She told me that I looked gorgeous in the pics (why don't we believe our loved ones?).
    Anyhow...We are our own worst critics and you do look hot, so remember that camera is evil in the present...one day you will treasure those photos for the memories and even think to yourself...I DID look good that night.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I feel the EXACT same way. I look in the mirror, I am liking what I see, then I see a picture and I seriously cannot tell a difference between pictures before and after any weight loss.

I am wearing this cute dress to my friends bridal shower tomorrow and I am about 95% happy with how it looks, but I posted a picture of me in it on my profile so everyone could help me decide between that dress and another. I think I look AWFUL in it in the picture. I am still going to wear it, but I am hoping I feel confident enough tomorrow to know I look better in it than I do in the picture.

I think there are two things with pictures. A. They add ten pounds between lighting and angles and just freezeframing your body so you can see every imperfections......I think it does it to everyone but we see other peoples flaws as who they are, the thing that makes them unique, but unfortunately we see our own flaws as horrible imperfections that make us so ugly. And B. some people just aren't very photogenic and I am convinced I am one of them. Maybe you are too. Good luck! :happy:
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Even pictures of super models are often airbrush enhanced. How can us mortals compare?

It happens to us all. The camera does not capture my skinny little son at all. He always looks...very different than he does in person. The camera is not accurate, it does not capture you or how great you look.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options

Girl first....you're gorgeous, I've seen all your before and progress pics....you're beautiful....

Second....remember what we said about the angle thing and us?! I've been holding onto that girl...don't take that one away!

Third....we are our own worst critics honey, and this is gonna take time to get to our goals....I was actually looking for my fat pics to post to the before and after pics because I got soooo pumped up after reading that thread and then was like...ah not much difference...and got soooo depressed!!

so I know how you feel....but seriously, you are doing amazing, you will not always feel like this...its like a haircut you don't like and its at that growing out stage...only the opposite.....it will get to the point where you (and I) like the pics those PEOPLE post of us....lol...

I always so agree with ms Ali, she is my motivator and she always has the right words :drinker:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options

Ali, I was going to say the exact same things, you are a brilliant woman!!

Lina, Ali took the words right out of my mouth. So, all I have left is a million hugs coming your way! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

You've done a great job...and you look fabulous...
    Keep your chin up and keep up the good work!

((HUGS))

Kim