Gastric Bypass & the band etc.

Options
I just finished a little article in All You about Gastric Bypass and Gastric Banding. It says"if you follow your doctors diet and exercise advice to the letter, you can expect to shed roughly 40% of your extra weight over three years"

If you followed any diet and exercise plan to the letter, then wouldn't you probably lose that much weight in 3 years? I've seen before and afters on MFP where people lost 50% to 100% of their extra weight in a few years (or less) through watching what they eat and exercise.

Another part that bothered me was the little "steer clear" section, that says "Steer clear if you're not ready to make significant lifestyle changes, like cutting out soda pop and other sugary treats".

It just seemed like that on everything it said about them made me feel like saying "well if you did that with out the surgeries you would lose weight". So I don't really see how these help?

In a way it was almost disappointing lol. I know I had mentioned to my husband how much easier it must be if you got the band etc, but this isn't making it sound much better than just losing weight the old fashioned way.

What does everyone else think?

Replies

• tfagler
    Options
    I did some research on the band and I had a friend who did the lap band it worked great for them. But I am in the same mind set of you. IMO the surgery just forces the change on you. The key is making the changes and hold your self accountable. you will need a big team to make it work for you either way! get the support and try and try on your own. My DR was pushing me in the Band to make it happen. I need to make it happen but I wont ruin my future by surgery. but will I have a future if I do not remove the weight. double edged sword there.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have a lap band. I hate it. My mom convinced me to do it first so she could see if she wanted it or not, I was 17 and still lived with her so it was a crazy situation and to be completely honest, I throw up every day. Even when I keep stuff down, I still feel like I need to throw up I'm so used to it. The thing is a damn joke.
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    Hi. I kind of agree with you, but with any lifestyle change there are going to be avoidance foods such as carbs. If you're like me....one cookie becomes 2 and then 3 and 4, etc. I am considering the surgery, but scared to death. I am an off again on again kind of person. It goes with my personality. I am working with a Bariatric group at a hospital. I watched the required online video and it scared me too, a little. I worried about the bypass because it's permanent, but isn't any lifestyle change? Anyone trying to loose weight should avoid carbonated drinks (or drink less of them) for the simple fact that they expand the stomach (according to Mayo Clinic). Think about it....bubbles=gas. It was a no brainer when I was told...I was like.."oh, duh."

So I have a follow up appointment on the 21st and I'm really scared. I know so many people that have had the procedures and a majority of them are doing well. I don't like the idea of having a foriegn object in my body (gastric band), but then the bypass is permanent...so I keep going back and forth. I know I can't loose weight without help. I've already made my mind up about that.

I often wonder....when a smoker quits, a majority of people need help to stop. Well, I feel the same way with food. We need help because we're addicted to eating a certain way. I am at least.

You have to take into consideration your comorbities or other health care diseases and what not. I have a ton of things related to being overweight. It has caused me to be out of work a lot and cost me a lot in medical expenses. Sooooooooo....I'm like you...can't decide.

Kathy
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I think the lap band is more for people who overeat in any singular sitting. It more or less forces you to eat like a bird.

IF over eating is not your problem (like me, i eat too few calories and then i eat sugary goodness and my body stores it) then it's clearly not going to do much.

I think that's where the problem lies. You probably still can eat lollies and drink soda with a lap band, just not a whole 2 litre bottle of coke in one sitting, or a large packet of chips (crisps).

If you know what a mean.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    The carbonation makes me throw up soda. There are days when I can't even keep down my own saliva. So yeah, no you really can't.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I have a lap band. I hate it. My mom convinced me to do it first so she could see if she wanted it or not, I was 17 and still lived with her so it was a crazy situation and to be completely honest, I throw up every day. Even when I keep stuff down, I still feel like I need to throw up I'm so used to it. The thing is a damn joke.

wow that sucks!!! I can't believe that any doctor would do that surgery at 17. So now I have to know did your Mom do it?
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Wanting to lose weight seriously is a LIFESTYLE change and you must be ready MENTALLY. I have a friend who had this surgery because (in her words) "wasn't ready to do it on her own" well, you know what? after all the money she paid, I still see her eating cake, fast food, soda, etc. and doesn't exercise. Yes, she's lost some weight, but it's not flatterning because she's not toned since she doesn't work out. So why bother? You can't eat like a normal person, she got an infection afertward from it and she's flabby. No thank you, I say.
    Also, my husband's co-worker just got it too. Apparently, you have to go back every so often (i forget how long) where they go back in to adjust it? So he basically has an open tap just under his skin.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have not had the surgery, but I actually do the psychiatric evaluations for people in the health system I work for who want the surgery. I can't speak for other areas, but where I am from in Western NY, it is quite a process they make you go through before they'll OK you for surgery. Like another poster mentioned it is a HUGE lifestyle change. People cannot have carbonation because of the impact the bubbles does to the pouch )stretching it out, making them sick etc). There are modifications you need to do when you have the procedures, ie. no fluids when eating, drinking AFTER a meal (so as not to fill the pouch), daily multivitamins etc. It's extensive, and your BMI has to be over a certain number for it to be a medically necessary procedure. It's definetely not a quick fix, that's for sure.
    They have informational meetings and support groups as well, so people can educate themselves more about the options pros/cons before making any decisions.
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My aunt had the sugery, she's lost a ton of weight....gone from a size 18 to a 6....and she does exercise. She's experienced negative side effects like brittle hair...b/c she can not absorb enough vitamins to keep healthy hair.

However, I've used calorie counting and exercise to go from a size 16/18 to a 10/12....and I'm still losing. My hair looks great :)

IMO, it seems like an extreme solution.
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    i dont have first hand experience, but i believe the band gives you that 'full up i am about to pop' feeling quicker. we have all hand it before on holidays in the past when we have seconds of everything and we need to do the roll on the ground and groan to digest...

therefore, that feeling of overeating is after one plate instead of two for a 'band' patient

unfortunately, the real battle is psychologically after the band. you can restrict your diet physically, but teaching your mind that you've had enough is the real rub.