HRM or FitBit?

Options
A little confused - I want something to track calories burned at the gym during classes and something more accurate than the display on cardio machines......what do you use/recommend? Do I HAVE to wear a chest strap or is there something just for my wrist?

Replies

• raishiwi
    raishiwi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think they accomplish the same thing, Fitbit just has some extras with it. If you can afford a fitbit I would go with that, if not a HRM will work just fine for losing it!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    HRM, and with a chest strap. Preferably a Polar model. The fitbit is just for steps taken, which may or may not work for whatever exercise you're doing (ie biking, elliptical, etc).
  • Branawesomer
    Branawesomer Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Fitbit does not measure heart rate so a hrm would be beneficial. I have both and I only use the hrm for working out. I dont' even notice the strap anymore. You can buy wrist ones but I found with the one I had, it died quickly. Make sure its a decent brand. Mine was a cheap one lol.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    an HRM is going to be more accurate

I was hesitant about the chest strap for a long time, but it literally fits seamlessly under my clothes and I forget it's there almost instantly.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Do a Garmin Vivofit. It's like a Fitbit, but there's an optional (additional cost) chest strap so you get an HRM too for your workouts.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    To be honest, you'd get the best gauge of your daily burn by having both a fitbit and a HRM. The Fitbit measures daily movement and activity but won't accurately gauge things like aerobic classes where you're moving but staying in place... same with weight lifting (mind you, a hrm won't measure weight lifting either). I found the Fitbit was good for daily stuff but didn't accurately track running either - it seemed to assume I walked everywhere without taking into account effort.

Over all, the Fitbit will be a better tool for weight loss. It doesn't matter how many calories you burn in your workouts. What matters is how many you burn over the course of a day. And if the Fitbit underestimates slightly (as it did with me), the results will appear in your weight loss.
  • Jennikitten
    Jennikitten Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I prefer fitbit because it tracks me all day and it doesn't have a chest strap. also as I eat back my exercise calories the underestimate works much better than any possible overestimate

It is all on personal preference though
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use both. I wear the HRM when doing my workout because I think it more accurately tells me my overall calorie burn, since I input my weight into the one that I have. I wear the FitBit 24/7/365 as a motivation tool. On the days that I don't work out, it's a constant reminder to get up & move more. After dinner, if I'm really low on steps, it helps me get out the door for a stroll. Also, if you bike ride, the fitbit doesn't track that.
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I also use both but the HRM is more accurate. If you get the Polar H7 with chest strap and use Digifit to upload your workouts, it will automatically upload and sync with Fitbit and MyFitnessPal so it doesn't double count the calories. That's what I do...except my HRM is not working right now :( So I think both are beneficial together but if it's just about the workouts then the HRM with chest strap is the best way to go.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you are just doing cardio exercises at the gym, I would get an HRM.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar HRM with chest strap, I feel it's quite accurate since you input all your stats. Would love to use the calories burned indicated on MFP but they are over estimated compared to my HRM. FitBit or HRM It's all a personal preference.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    ok - will look at the Polar HRM first....looks like the FitBit Force is off shelves right now becasue of a recall!
  • StephyA86
    StephyA86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use both. I have a Fitbit One that I wear all day, and I use the Polar FT4 when I work out. I like using both because Fitbit gives a good idea of my overall activity, and the HRM accurately tracks calorie burn when I work out.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I have a a FitBit and it won't do that- but its perfect for walking and general activity. I went to buy a $300- HRM to log my aerobics and weight lifting and was told not to waste my money because they are inaccurate for tracking that.
  • captainheadkick
    captainheadkick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had bought a Polar Wearlink Bluetooth HRM chest strap to use with my android phone and the bluetooth connection was terrible. Then my dogs ate the actual monitor. Not wanting to spend more money, I found a Scosche Rhytym HRM that you wear on your forearm. Works great.

It's just as accurate as the pulse checkers on cardio machines, and I like the software on my phone. It also automatically uploads to MFP.

I got mine for $50 on ebay with free shipping.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Do I HAVE to wear a chest strap or is there something just for my wrist?

If accuracy is important to you, then yes.

fwiw HRMs don't track calories, they extrapolate from your hyscial characteristics and your HR to estimate calorie consumption. The level of accuracy in that estimation depends on the type of activity and how consistent your HR is during that activity.

Personally I use a Polar FT60, which is pretty reliable on my long runs, tempo runs road bike and rowing machine. Less accurate when I'm doing intervals either on foot or on my road bike, or when I'm on my mountain bike.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    For what you need, a HRM is the way to go. Polar makes excellent HRMs and yes, I think you should wear one. You might as well rely on a machine if wearing a strap really bothers you.. to me it's like doing the same thing as not wearing a strap.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    HRM, and with a chest strap. Preferably a Polar model. The fitbit is just for steps taken, which may or may not work for whatever exercise you're doing (ie biking, elliptical, etc).

I ordered my Polar 7 (blue/lilac) Tuesday...it is on its way to my house now. Can't wait! I think that a HRM is better than a fitbit because I personally want to know what my HR is. I tend to get up into the 190s if I don't monitor myself and I can stay there fro a long time. To each their own I suppose
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    ok - will look at the Polar HRM first....looks like the FitBit Force is off shelves right now becasue of a recall!

Yeah it burns you pretty bad
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin vivofit...works like fitbit that its a step tracker, but you have an option of getting a TRUE HRM to connect to it!!