cardio after lunch/dinner

Options
How long should one wait to do cardio workout after having either dinner/lunch?

Replies

• wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    From what i have read, it depends on how heavy your dinner was. About one hour for light foods and 2-3 hours for heavy dinners
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Remember the old saying "Don't go in the water until an hour after eating"? There is truth in that.

The basis is, during digestion, about 80% of your bloodflow is directed towards your stomach to help pick up the nutrients and deliver them throughout the body.

During exercise, the demand for blood flow moves to the extremeties and skin to dissipate heat and feed the muscles.

So if you're digesting a heavy meal and do a heavy workout, there won't be enough bloodflow to properly feed the muscles and thus you risk getting a cramp.

While the "one hour" time frame isn't written in stone...it depends on what you ate and the activity you're doing.
  • Triguy83
    Triguy83 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake once of having a protien shake smoothie with berries before i ran. I was in a rush to get my 10 miles in but I ended up having to stop cause i had lower abdominal pains then i urinated blood when I got back due from all the stress . Now I just have a banana if I am in a rush then take some Amino Vital Endurance with me.
  • crishsexy
    crishsexy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually wait an hour or two.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I wait atleast one hour after eating a heavy meal to workout.......
  • datagram40
    datagram40 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I workout before going to dinner. That way the metabolism is running in hardcore mode when I finally get around to eating food.
  • Dhathri
    Dhathri Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your sharing your thoughts. I will try to follow.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If I eat 200 calories or less I wait about an hour or maybe a little longer. If I eat more than that, say a meal of 400 or more calories, then I try to wait at least 2 hours but sometimes closer to 3 hours. I also have a little something directly afterwards, most often a protein shake.