Is 900-1000 calories to few?

Options
25 years old. 119 Kilos (OUCH)
How many calories should I be consuming in order to lose about 40 Kilos.
I don't want my body to go into starving/storing mode but I have been eating about 900-1000 and have not been extremely hungry or craving anything. It feels like its just enough?
Haven't weighed myself since I started so I don't know (yes that's the obvious logical thing to do but I have not yet acquired a scale) Was just wondering?
Someone I know said that anything below 1200 is too little.?
Any advice - No arguments please

Replies

• Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much exercise do you get daily/weekly? You should eat at least 1200 calories a day.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    yes. it's far too little.

since you're new here...

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Oh... and the newest edition to my wall of TL;DR:
    here's another approach.

block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Below 1200 is too few, that is the minimum for your body to function without any activity added.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You need to weigh yourself to work out your BMR & TDEE.

Once you work out the above, we can tell you how many calories your body needs just to be alive, how many calories to eat, Also do you exercise etc?

First step - Buy a scale or get weighed
    Second step - Work out calories needed a day
    Third step - Get losing & meet your goals : )

Good luck!!
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Well first, congrats on taking the steps to become healthier!:flowerforyou:

Second, I think that you will definitely lose weight by eating 900 to 1100 calories. The question you want to ask yourself: Is my health worth weighing less?

I don't know your height, your activity level or what kind if food you consume, but when you eat that little, it could have negative effects on your all over physical health (hair loss, organ failure, fatigue, skin could start to look like crap ect ect)

And even if you don't feel hungry now, eventually it will start to make you feel like crap and you could potentially binge.

^^^^^^ this
  • chellamia
    chellamia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have heard time and time again that going below 1000-1200 is flirting with the starvation mode your body naturally has.
    Have you done the profile set up on here ? It will let you know what calorie count you should be at.
    I eat about 1200 per day some times a bit over :).
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    yes. it's far too little.

since you're new here...

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    QFT

I lose typically between 1-1.5 pounds a week. I am doing MOST of what this says (I haven't got the food scale because I'm still on target. If/when I ever stall, I will buy one at that point. I am doing pretty well getting the amount I'm eating logged. If in doubt, I OVERestimate a bit. I UNDERestimate my calorie burns by 1/3 (multiply the MFP or machine number by .666 and manually log that).

The other thing I would add is: Find a message board of people looking for a similar amount to lose in similar circumstances that is doing a "challenge" (30, 60, 90 days). These help to keep you accountable and motivated...since you will have to tell someone every week if you wimp out on your exercise/logging.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Okay, I think people make things too complicated. Starvation mode is only something you worry about if you eat like that for a very long time. With that said 900-1000 calories are too few not because of starvation mode, but because you won't keep it up. Remember slow and steady wins the race. I don't think MFP has things perfect, however I think they do have it pretty close.

So set yourself as sedentary and wanting to loose 1 pound a week. Track your food, and track your exercise eat back some of your exercise calories. No secrets here, just track and be aware … good luck.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Eat a minimum of 1200 calories per day (you probably need more once you weigh yourself and calculate you BMR)

Use a kitchen scale to weigh and measure your foods - you are probably eating more than you think if you aren't properly weighing and measuring foods.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    one "o" is TOO few