Which is it worse to go over on? eg. carbs/fat/sugar

Options
Hey everyone!
Obviously, if I were perfect I'd rather not go over any of the limits set on the diary but I was wondering which it's worse to go over on?
I'm quite frequently over on my sugar but that seems to be down to the sugars in the fruit I eat and things, and I'm occasionally over on carbs too.

So although I'd rather not go over any, there are always some days when you do, so which would you say is the worst one to go over on? Or rather, which should I try the most to avoid going over?

Thanks!

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    None
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It is different for everyone, it all depends on how your body processes each of those things. It also depends what they are set at for your calorie goals. All of them are part of a normal diet.

I know for me, sugar (even from fruit) made me hold on to weight, where as carbs from things like potatoes and rice was never a problem. I noticed the biggest difference when I cut my sugars back to 25 grams or less a day.

The fact that you are even asking the question means you are aware of all of those things and that is a great step! Keep up the good work and it will all sort itself out!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb. So I wouldn't worry about it much unless you have a medical reason why you should.

It's ok to go over on fats and proteins and then fill out the rest of your day with carbs. Nothing really wrong with going over on any if you're still in a deficit, though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    Obviously, if I were perfect I'd rather not go over any of the limits set on the diary but I was wondering which it's worse to go over on?
    I'm quite frequently over on my sugar but that seems to be down to the sugars in the fruit I eat and things, and I'm occasionally over on carbs too.

So although I'd rather not go over any, there are always some days when you do, so which would you say is the worst one to go over on? Or rather, which should I try the most to avoid going over?

Thanks!
    If you're talking in your diary, some of the recommendations may be set low for an individual. For me protein, is low on the site. The key is not to go over in calories.
    Also, understand that all carbs eventually end up as sugar (glucose) in the body when broken down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hannahlouisefranklin
    Options
    Thank you!

There are some days when I go over on carbs for example and feel really bloated as a result and then others when I can go over and be fine so I guess I'll just keep an eye on how I feel on days when I've gone over my targets :) thank you!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    We were told in our diabetes prevention that calories from fat require more effort to burn. Meaning 1 pound of fat requires more physical effort to convert to energy than an equivalent amount of newly eaten carbs/sugars.

That being said, however, my experience has been that going over occasionally so long as it's not an outrageous amount is NOT going to keep you from losing the weight. If the preponderance of your days under goal, your goals are set appropriately for your activity level (and aren't unrealistic...I.e. you aren't trying to shortcut to your target weight with 5-6 pound losses a week) and you're not consuming so much sodium you retain water perpetually, you'll see a loss.

Unless there's a MEDICAL reason to do so, don't spazz out too much about staying within each of the separate macros every single day day in and day out.