Fitbit? Polar Ft?

Options
I am going to preface this with - I'm not even really sure what I'm asking, so if this post is as clear as mud, I apologize. :)

I am interested in getting something to help me figure out how many calories I am actually burning. I've looked at both the Fitbit and the Polar FT4 (I think it was the 4). It looks like the Fitbit monitors calories burned all day, whereas the FT4 is for workouts. It also looks like the FT4 would be more accurate. Is this an accurate picture of the two? I'm probably more interested in the calories burned during a workout, but I'm not sure how irritating the chest strap is. Does the Fitbit give an accurate caloric burn for workouts? Anybody with experience with either? Thanks so much for your help!

Replies

• Lizplus3
    Lizplus3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I did some looking around online with the FitBit and NikeFuel band. I do not know anything about the FT4 - look for reviews online from those who have used it and written about it - that will help. I have used the chest strap before - it is not bad (at least to me). It is more acurate than using the pluse thing on a machine, but I'm not sure compared to your wrist. All of these things are going to have an margin of error. There is a difference between the FitBit and NikeFuel band so it comes down to what you like - comfort. The FitBit will let you know how you do all day long and you can wear it swimming. I am sure this isn't much help - good luck!!!!
  • Dinky16
    Dinky16 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I just feel kind of lost. I know what I want the thing to do, but I don't know which thing will do it most accurately. Make sense?? :)
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4, the chest strap is not annoying it's easy to work. I would like a fitbit 1 though as wel,l to see calories burned throughout the day. It's probably better to have the HRM as they are more accurate. Or get both if it won't be to expensive.
  • jjmaag
    jjmaag Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I own and religiously wear the fitbit flex. I would say it's as accurate as possible without wearing the heart rate strap. It pinpoints my exercises (running, lifting, elliptical, jumping around, whatever) and accurately counts the calories burned. I would definitely suggest investing in one!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit Flex. I can wear it all the time and it vibrates when I've reached my goal (mine is set to calories burned but it can also be set to other things such as number of steps). It also logs my sleep, so I've been able to see how much/how effective my sleep is. The website is free and syncs to my MFP account. My calories, etc. are updated all the time.

My only criticism is that it is less than effective in logging calories burned from things like swimming and lifting. I have to manually add the calories burned into the MFP website to track them.

Edited for clarity.
  • Dinky16
    Dinky16 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I had read some reviews about the Fibit saying that it wasn't as accurate because it was just a fancy pedometer, so thanks for your insight!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer Polar (I have FT40 model). It helps me keep track of my workout times, calories burned and chest strap doesn't feel like it's there! Personally, I would never get the Fitbit.. as the reviews you read said, it's just a fancy pedometer and that's useless to me.
  • cc141
    cc141 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have both a fitbit zip and polar heart rate monitor (FT4). I use them both because I don't think fitbit is as accurate for workouts. So Fitbit syncs my all day activity and then i manually add in my exercise calories (from my HRM) on MFP. Then both sync together and I think it gives me a really accurate count for the day. I recently allowed negative calorie adjustments, where fitbit will change my calorie amount depending on my activity for the day and I think this works best for me. It makes me want to exercise to get more calories and I feel like I'm eating the right amount depending on the day.
  • reneeaz1982
    reneeaz1982 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into an activity/calorie tracker myself. Have a question for those who have them......where exactly does the chest strap go during a workout? Like, where on your chest is it positioned?!?! Thanks in advance.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am interested in getting something to help me figure out how many calories I am actually burning. I've looked at both the Fitbit and the Polar FT4 (I think it was the 4). It looks like the Fitbit monitors calories burned all day, whereas the FT4 is for workouts. It also looks like the FT4 would be more accurate. Is this an accurate picture of the two?

Neither of them measure calories, they both provide an estimate based on how they measure your activity.

Fitbit is, as you say, a overenthusiastic pedometer that counts steps and estimates a calorie burn based on that.

A Heart Rate Monitor tracks your HR and estimates a calorie burn based on that, and metrics that you programme it with; height, build, weight, gender etc.

Clearly a fitbit looks at all of your activity, whereas an HRM is generally used in exercise. Some people advocate using both, as they are in theory complementary.

The value really depends on what type of exercise you're doing. If you're doing something like zumba, or body pump classes you're not going to have a realistic measure from either, fitbit won't have an accurate step count and an HRM algorithm is less accurate when HR isn't consistent.

If you're cycling or rowing or something then fitbit isn't going to be able to assess what youre doing, and an HRM is far more accurate and realistic.

If you're running they'll both give you a judgement, although their errors occur in different ways. I have seen reports on here saying that they're pretty consistent, but they are both subject to error in some circumstances.

Personally speaking I use an HRM when I train, I don't really see a pedometer as useful to me the rest of the time
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into an activity/calorie tracker myself. Have a question for those who have them......where exactly does the chest strap go during a workout? Like, where on your chest is it positioned?!?! Thanks in advance.

Directly under your breasts
  • Turbooble
    Turbooble Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I LOVED my Fitbit Force, but they recalled it, because the charger attachment on the inside of the band was giving skin irritation. I switched it for the Fitbit Flex which I also LOVE. It's very accurate, tracks sleep patterns, I do not realize I'm wearing it, and no skin irritation. When they fix the Force I will be switching back, because it tracks stair count as well. I have not looked into Nike.

I have heard about a new product called GOBE, tracks calories in and out without logging a thing. It sounds amazing, but I'm not sure how accurate it will be. After it's been on the market for a while, if it really works like they say it will, I will be getting one, but I do have some serious doubts.
  • reneeaz1982
    reneeaz1982 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Directly under your breasts

Great........you totally followed my train of thought regarding in relations to breasts! Thanks!
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've owned various fitbit models and Polars (i'm a number and electronic junkie) and both are great! I do like the fitbit because it syncs automatically with mfp and automatically adjusts the amount of cals you should eat that day and is fun to wear and motivating to see how active you throughout the day but i "grew out" of it as my workouts got more advanced. A huge drawback is that it'll only give you workout readouts if you're doing something where you are taking steps such as running. Riding a bike, swimming, rowing, any type of weight training etc will not be as accurate. You have to go back and log what type of workout you did which is basically the same as if you would simply plug it in on here. While a polar (i think i have the ft7) you can wear and get an accurate reading for any type of workout and with the newer ones you can change the battery out yourself so theoretically if you wanted to wear it all day to get an idea of what youre burning, i guess you could. I find that i quickly got used to the strap. /i did find though that wearing both during running that they were very close to each other in the calorie estimate that i burned.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I use both the Fitbit Flex and the Polar FT4. I wear the fitbit all day (even when working out) and use the Polar only during my exercising. My heart rate always gets up really high and the Fitbit doesn't take that into account and it's also not the best if I'm not walking or running (Fitbit will give me very active minutes for walking or running but nothing for cycling class for an hour).

As for the HRM chest strap, I usually end up tucking it under my sports bra band for best results.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Don't get a Fitbit Force until they figure out how to make it NOT burn you

I would look at the Polar FT7. I liked the stats on it better. (its getting to my doorstep nowish)
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have heard about a new product called GOBE, tracks calories in and out without logging a thing. It sounds amazing, but I'm not sure how accurate it will be. After it's been on the market for a while, if it really works like they say it will, I will be getting one, but I do have some serious doubts.

Hmm, that GoBe sounds pretty sweet! They haven't done their retail launch yet, though, so I wonder what the product reviews will be like...

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/healbe-gobe-the-only-way-to-automatically-measure-calorie-intake
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I just bought a fitbit flex and this is day 3 of me wearing it. My only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner! Go get one - you'll be glad you did!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your workout routine?

The fitbit will sync with MFP and it will calculate extra exercise calories for you from your activity all day. However it would not be accurate for your specific workouts.

If you want to calculate the burn from specific workouts then go with a HRM like the Polar FT4. Which you would use when you are working out.

I have a Polar Loop which is an activity tracker like the fit bit but it doesn't sync with MFP. I just use it to track my activity basically. But it will sync with a Polar H6 or H7 strap so I can use it as a HRM for specific workouts.
  • Cskinner2
    Cskinner2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit flex wear it all the time. Plus it is waterproof so you can shower with it on.