Gym-intimidation

Options
So heres the thing, I belong to planet fitness- I have NO problem going with other people, but if i have to go alone, I get so nervous. I feel like everyone will be staring or something. I'll go in if there are a few people there (which is rarely)- if its packed- FORGET IT! I need to break this habit.

Replies

• KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Here are some tips you could use:

1) When you go with friends, try to warm-up on a treadmill / elliptical on your own beforehand, just for 5 minutes or so.

2) Have a plan for when you go to the gym on your own. Know exactly where you'll need to go first and exactly what exercises you'll do.

3) If you want to try something new, do it with friends first until you know you have it down. Only then try it on your own until you're more confident.

4) When you go on your own, ask a trainer if they can help you set up the treadmill / elliptical. Even if you already know how to use it, they can walk over to the cardio area with you and talk to you for the first couple of minutes. You can get into the groove with company, then when they leave handle the rest on your own!

I know the gym can be scary, but I PROMISE no one cares what you're doing. Know that 90% of the other patrons are worried about what others think about them too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well partly becuse planet fitness is one of the judgeyest gyms around- but YMMV.

I would just plug my head phones in- go in with a plan- make sure you have a plan- know what you are doing. and walk in and do what you need to do.

I also wouldn't go at like 5 PM- super busy there.

just do what you have to do and leave- most people aren't as concerned as you think- I promise!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jo, walk in with a plan of action and get 'er done. I'm so focused that apparently my fiance's cousin has seen me at the gym repeatedly and I have yet to notice. I'm on a mission, I don't have time to fart around. And don't forget your headphones!
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've gone to the gym alone a lot, and it seems like most of the other people there are focused on their own workouts. I haven't noticed anyone staring at anyone else. Most of the people at my gym are pretty fit (it's a campus gym), but not all of them. I say just plug your headphones in, pick a machine, and get to work! :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    So heres the thing, I belong to planet fitness- I have NO problem going with other people, but if i have to go alone, I get so nervous. I feel like everyone will be staring or something. I'll go in if there are a few people there (which is rarely)- if its packed- FORGET IT! I need to break this habit.

Interesting you belong to a "fitness center" that boasts a "gym-intimidation" free zone yet you feel it...

I suspect if you mentioned it to management they would insist other members where horse blinders...then no fear of anyone looking at you...

But on a serious note....just make the decision to go...and do it...even if people are looking at you and even if they judge who are they to you? probably nobody so they shouldn't impact your life...and if you go with a plan and work through the plan you wont have time to think about people looking at you.
  • miissalexandria
    miissalexandria Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Well. Another thought, Is there a YMCA around? I also dislike huge crowds and actually get anxious when in a room full of people. I had a membership at a YMCA last year and I loved it. While there were times it was packed most of the time it wasn't. The staff was really nice and I felt comfortable there.

But, I also agree with the others. You'll eventually get used to it. If people look, maybe they're encouraged that you're there :)

Good luck
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    People talk about having a plan - what I've done in the past is write out what my routine will be that day on an index card, then attach it to my water bottle with two hair elastics. Pop your headphones in, and just focus on you, your routine, and the music and you'll forget about everyone else.

Anyway, half of the people you see at the gym are panicked about what YOU'RE thinking about THEM, and the other half are focused on their own routines.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    how come no ones looking at me in the gym? you must be hogging all the attention
  • racnsdd
    racnsdd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You could try canceling your membership and using those slim wraps around your waist instead.

Or try wearing sunglasses and neon clothing with tight fitting yoga pants to work out in.

Looking like everyone else will help you blend in.

Also making eye contact with the mirror and staring at yourself or one other person in particular will help keep you from looking around.

The good news is I think that gym serves pizza and bagels so you can eat that with the other members and maybe bring some soda and ice cream in, as a treat.

This seems rude and sarcastic when someone is asking for help. Is that really needed here?
  • RobertHButler
    Options
    Here are some tips: Dress appropriately but comfortable, set your mind on your purpose, bring ear buds and watch the TV, bear in mind that everyone else is focused on their own fitness and problems and could care less about you or your problems.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Most people feel that way, when first going to a new place (new job, new gym, new school). it's a little tougher when you're doing something you perceive as putting you in the spotlight. You really just have to get out there and do it. After the first few times, you'll find you feel much more comfortable and don't even notice the other people. Put on your headphones and get your music going, walk to your machine and get going. Don't even think about the other people. you'll get right into the groove soon enough.
  • nmiller0903
    Options
    I'm glad that you think I'm a troll. Aren't we here for support and not rude comments? Not really necessary and if you do not like what I have to say, then move along.
  • nmiller0903
    Options
    You could try canceling your membership and using those slim wraps around your waist instead.

Or try wearing sunglasses and neon clothing with tight fitting yoga pants to work out in.

Looking like everyone else will help you blend in.

Also making eye contact with the mirror and staring at yourself or one other person in particular will help keep you from looking around.

The good news is I think that gym serves pizza and bagels so you can eat that with the other members and maybe bring some soda and ice cream in, as a treat.

If that was a joke, so be it- but the rudeness of this comment certainly wasn't necessary. Isn't this a place for support instead of cracking jokes?
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jo, walk in with a plan of action and get 'er done. I'm so focused that apparently my fiance's cousin has seen me at the gym repeatedly and I have yet to notice. I'm on a mission, I don't have time to fart around. And don't forget your headphones!

Well even if you do have time I wish you wouldn't fart around the gym that's just not right! May I suggest to fart around in a clothing store(kids section is always fun) and walk away silently like a stealthy ninja then wait for it. Generally you will hear some thing funny even if your half way across the store as the kids are very vocal and entertaining. Grocery stores can be fun too but please not at the gym.. :smile:
  • nmiller0903
    Options

Well even if you do have time I wish you wouldn't fart around the gym that's just not right! May I suggest to fart around in a clothing store(kids section is always fun) and walk away silently like a stealthy ninja then wait for it. Generally you will hear some thing funny even if your half way across the store as the kids are very vocal and entertaining. Grocery stores can be fun too but please not at the gym.. :smile:

AWESOME! haha
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel I have started going at night and it seems like everyone in shape is there. I dont know how you would feel about this but my gym offers a lot of class and i find most people tend to go alone to the classes. They have classes for all levels. Also my daughter has social anxiety so I have called the gym to find the least busy time and that is when she goes if no one can go with her
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    planet fitness is the worst. they claim not to judge, unless you are a "lunk" and there for a real work out, then they'll judge the bejeezus out of you.

honestly, i felt that i would be intimidated at my gym as well, when i first started. it was all in my head. but i started going to the gym at 5:30am when it would open, so that i would be one of the first people there and hopefully there wouldn't be a lot of other people there.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

AWESOME! haha

If you want to be taken seriously and are offended when some posters accuse you of being a troll, you could at least take the time to respond to those people who took the time to give you a serious response to your original question.
  • nmiller0903
    Options

AWESOME! haha

If you want to be taken seriously and are offended when some posters accuse you of being a troll, you could at least take the time to respond to those people who took the time to give you a serious response to your original question.

I was in the process of responding but that just really irked me.
  • nmiller0903
    Options
    Here are some tips you could use:

1) When you go with friends, try to warm-up on a treadmill / elliptical on your own beforehand, just for 5 minutes or so.

2) Have a plan for when you go to the gym on your own. Know exactly where you'll need to go first and exactly what exercises you'll do.

3) If you want to try something new, do it with friends first until you know you have it down. Only then try it on your own until you're more confident.

4) When you go on your own, ask a trainer if they can help you set up the treadmill / elliptical. Even if you already know how to use it, they can walk over to the cardio area with you and talk to you for the first couple of minutes. You can get into the groove with company, then when they leave handle the rest on your own!

I know the gym can be scary, but I PROMISE no one cares what you're doing. Know that 90% of the other patrons are worried about what others think about them too.

Thanks! I guess it is just another thing i need to work on- Insecurities. I have been there by myself before and I honestly do not mind it, its only when its packed! Its a weird thing in my brain i suppose