Crockpot Chicken?

Options
TMLfan1982
TMLfan1982 Posts: 10 Member
Has anybody tossed a whole chicken in the slow cooker?

How did it work out? Any cooking suggestions?

Replies

• frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I do this all of the time. It turns out great. I had read where they said to put foil balls on the bottom so the chicken is up and dripping and not sitting in its own juices. so I usually wrap potatoes or sweet potatoes in foil and put the chicken on top of that. I turn it on at 7:30 when I leave for work and it is falling off the bone when I get home a little after 5:00. I do rub the chicken w/ olive oil or coconut oil and add whatever seasonings I feel like that day. it browns up nicely too....
    Hope it works out for you.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Frequently!
    Whole chicken
    Veggies in big chunks: onion quartered, 2-3 garlic cloves, 2 carrots, 2 stalks celery (with leaves)

Here most people would put broth, and I do sometimes with a quartered lemon and a handful of fresh dill, but
    I like to put a can of rotel habanero tomatoes instead. YUM-O!

"stewed" like this in the crockpot it falls off the bone, so don't expect roasted, ready to carve. It's easy to prep the night before and just toss in the crockpot in the morning. (I usually cook mine overnight because I work weirdly scheduled shifts, instead of cooking while I work, it cooks while I, hopefully, sleep!)
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I prefer to just do breasts and thighs in a few different combinations, spicy pulled chicken, buffalo chicken, just plain, but it all pretty much works the same.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    An oval crock will work best.
    I *almost* quartered 2 onions so they made little "cradles" for the chicken to sit in, so as not to touch the sides.
    No broth required. Season as desired (although there are many good recipes out there).
    If you want to make broth afterwards, take the chicken out after 8-10 hours, remove meat, then return bones to the crock and add water. Cook overnight, strain, then chill. Makes a rich gel that can be frozen to use later.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Yes!

Do it!

So economical and I felt like Betty freakin' Crocker when I was serving it up and bragging about my homemade broth for the weeks to come!

The family loved it and I yielded several cups of free, nutrient rich broth.

A whole bird and 10? cups of broth for $5? Oh heck yes!

This is the recipe I learned from:

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I prefer to just do breasts and thighs in a few different combinations, spicy pulled chicken, buffalo chicken, just plain, but it all pretty much works the same.

But whole chickens are usually cheaper aren't they? Maybe not by the time you pay for the bones? Hrmm... (I
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

But whole chickens are usually cheaper aren't they? Maybe not by the time you pay for the bones? Hrmm... (I

I've never compared the two directly. I'm not quite sure what the typical yield from a whole chicken is for just meat. Thighs are cheaper than breasts though so I usually do a combination of the two or just all thighs.

ETA: Interesting link for doing a cost comparison based off of typical yields from various cuts of chicken: http://posc.tamu.edu/files/2012/08/l-2290.pdf
  • JulieE1002
    JulieE1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    LOVE chcken in the crock pot - mine is in there right now and it will be yummy when I get home. I make a "bed" of thickly sliced onions for the bottom of the crock pot and then put your chicken in. I season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders. I stuff the bird with an ORANGE (peel and all - just quarter it so it fits)! It tastes yummy! The bird will fall off the bone and leave a wonderful pan of drippings that makes a fabulous soup later.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Never heard of the "orange" idea!

I've used a recipe where you just coat the chicken with seasoned salt - lots of it.
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What do you use the stock for once you make it?
  • NattieRose80
    NattieRose80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I will be trying this Sounds Delish! Thank you for sharing!
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Not a whole chicken, but my favorite chicken crock pot recipe lately is SO easy and yummy. 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts and a small jar of salsa. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4. Shred the meat with two forks, it falls apart. Delicious on its own, on tacos, or on salad. It is juicy and so tender so it makes it easier to forgo sour cream, dressings, etc. I do not find enjoyment in food preparation so this is my dream come true! :)
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    tag for later!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Love this

Whole chicken rubbed well with olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary
    Put slices of lemon inside chicken peel also because of the oil in skin
    I put mine in a disposable bag for crockpots and sprinkle liberally with
    Larry's season salt. Tastes like a rotisserie chicken at local grocery store, and no clean up because
    Of the bag. The juice is so good. Hope you like this. The rosemary and lemon are DEVINE..
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I did it with a 7 pound chicken this past weekend for dinner with my parents and 2 friends (plus my husband and 2 kids).

I do 4 foil balls on the bottom and then lay the chicken in. Seasoned up, cook on high for 4-5 hours, PERFECTION.
  • TMLfan1982
    TMLfan1982 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. These all sound great. I've heard of people trying it but just wanted to see what people had to say about their own experience/recipes.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    ive done it with chicken quarters.

meat shreds and the bones come out easily.

good stuff!
  • JodieSmith15
    JodieSmith15 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Love making shredded chicken in the crockpot for enchiladas. I put chicken breasts in with rotel and seasoning, shreds perfectly. Never tried a whole chicken though, might have to try! We did our turkey in the crockpot last thanksgiving and it didn't turn out so good. hopefully chicken will be better!
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I do mine like this and love it but my boyfriend says he doesn't like the consistency...something about being too soft. So when I know he's going to be eating it I'll throw it under the broiler for a few minutes before serving to crisp it up a bit. And I like others make the stock afterwards. When cooking the chicken I don't add any liquids. After the chicken is done i'll pull all the meat from it then throw the carcass back in the slow cooker. Here's where I add carrots, celery, onions, whatever. I'll add several cups of water, depending on how big the original chicken was. Then I let it cook overnight. In the morning you have a slow cooker full of the best chicken stock! I freeze them in my silicon muffin pan so I have stock in 1 cup servings ready to go.
  • JodieSmith15
    JodieSmith15 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Love this

Whole chicken rubbed well with olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary
    Put slices of lemon inside chicken peel also because of the oil in skin
    I put mine in a disposable bag for crockpots and sprinkle liberally with
    Larry's season salt. Tastes like a rotisserie chicken at local grocery store, and no clean up because
    Of the bag. The juice is so good. Hope you like this. The rosemary and lemon are DEVINE..

your profile picture is freakin adorable :happy: