how many (pluse beats per minute) when exercising????

Options
how and where can i find info on how many beats per minute for exercising???

Replies

• scottbhf
    Options
    It depends on your age. The rule of thumb is 220 - your age as your MAX heart rate. Then, during your workout you should stay between 50% and 85% of that max. Soooo, if you're 25... 220 - 25 is 195 max, so you should stay between 97 and 165. That's a wide range, obviously. Another rule of thumb is the "talking" rule. If you can talk or sing, you aren't working hard enough. If you can't keep going, if you have to stop and rest, you're working too hard. There's a calculator at http://www.changingshape.com/resources/calculators/targetheartratecalculator.asp
  • jennatig
    Options
    The prior post is correct for calculating although everyone is different so that is the generic way to calculate it. I met with a personal trainer and they were telling me that if you can talk and sing etc that is the region where you would be burning the most fat... when you get to the region where you are not able to talk, breath, sing etc, you are most likely just burning carbohydrates and while this is great for endurance, if you are looking to lose weight you need to focus on the fat burning zone, you will burn more fat calories in that zone then carb calories. Intervals are always the best. Like 2 minutes in the lowest zone, 2 minutes in the fat burning zone and 1 minute in the carb burning zone, then start it all over again for at least 20 minutes.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter which fuel source (carbs or fat) you are using when you are working out...because the fact is it's all about total CALORIES burned. And you burn more calories the more intensely you workout. It is also widely UNknown that you technically burn BOTH during lower and higher intensity workouts, just at different ratios. :flowerforyou:

You should always workout as intense as you can each time to maximize your calorie burn. I typically have my heart rate around 185-192 when I do cardio (even though that generic calculator says that my max is 189). I see the most difference on the scale and in inches when I workout intensely raising my heart rate as high as I can stand it...

Which is why programs like Insanity or Turbo Fire work so very well.........and so fast.

I am a certified personal trainer, and that's what I do. That's what my clients do with the most success.
  • madhattedmadness
    madhattedmadness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is talk to your doctor..because some ofvthe info listed below is incorrect. There are diff zones..example beimg fat burn and cardio. I used to think cardo was what I wanted..turns out its fat burn so lower heart rate....I neex to use between 60-70 pct of my max.. so 110-129... I was advised best results being 125. You wanma burn calories from fat...not just calories....get a heart rate monitor... if its just calories as opposed to calories from fat...then youre not maxing youre fat burning... its also diff for ppl who rdiff sizes. Someone who is muscular or toned...they wanna do max work out..necause they want cardio not fat burn.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options