Getting Fit Over 40

Options
Hello all! I'm sure this has been addressed many other times in other threads but I'd love to meet some more people who, like me, are over the age of 40 and are trying to get fit or stay fit? Personally, I'm closer to 50 than 40 at this point so anybody I can commiserate with is appreciated! LOL

What kind of workouts do you do? What sort of physical challenges has age put on your workout? What is your overall goal? If this conversation takes off I will share more of my story as we get to know each other!

Replies

• lttappenn
    lttappenn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and used to be very active in my 20s. Then kids and life happened and I let myself go. I started working out again a little over a year ago. I started with body weight workouts (found on www.nerdfitness.com) and running. I then moved onto trail running and fell completely in love. It wasn't feasible for me to trail run from September to February, due to hunting season, but I will be starting up again this weekend. Right now I am doing Insanity and after that I will be doing trail running and Chalean Extreme (a strength training program). I don't let my age stop me or hold me back from anything. I even broke 3 vertebrae a year and a half ago and it doesn't stop me. I had to take it easy for several months, but now it is good. Our bodies are amazing and adaptable. If we push them they respond. I still feel 20 on the inside, so I workout like a 20 year old!

Good luck and remember to challenge yourself! You will be amazed by the results!
  • davidhooie
    davidhooie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate the insight and the inspiration! The fact that you broke 3 vertebrae and are doing Insanity is amazing! I've been on nerdfitness, it fits me to a T! LOL I'm finishing my first round of P90X3 and have really enjoyed it so far!
  • MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and am 40 lbs. overweight. I used to be fairly active when I was younger. But with kids and work, life got in the way. Plus I was diagnosed with Lupus 17 years ago and ever since then I've been afraid to push myself thinking I might trigger a flare up of the disease. I realize this is irrational and exercise would actually be good for me, but I've been afraid of every bump and twinge. Even the burning in your lungs from that first workout scares the hypochondriac in me.

All that being said, I have decided to start training to run a 5K in 2014. I downloaded the 5K Runner app and did the first workout last night as "trial run". I'm going shopping tomorrow for good shoes, and then I'm officially starting next week. I am actually really excited about this and I'm looking forward to proving to myself that I can do it.
  • davidhooie
    davidhooie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We are the same age! :-) I'll be 48 in July! Having to overcome concerns related to a medical condition is familiar to me as well. I've been a Type 1 diabetic since I was 14 and I have to factor every activity and food/supplement I put in my body in relation to insulin dosages and how my blood sugars are affected. I'm afraid I don't know much about Lupus, but if your doctor gives you the green light you are absolutely correct that exercise is a great thing!

I'm getting ready to try my hand at Tai Chi to help build my core strength and improve my balance and flexibility. As I get older I realize the big muscles thing is all for show, I really just want to be able to move around and enjoy life! Keep me posted on your 5K! I'm supposed to run one in May and I haven't started training yet! Yikes!
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 average joe. Was in relatively good shape in my younger years but something happened around my mid 30's. I've been struggling ever since ! I've lost the same 40 lbs I don't know how many times and each time it comes back with interest ! I'm also a type2 diabetic and have high blood pressure.
    This time around I'm trying some different approaches and so far, it seems to be working. Lost 43lbs and still losing. I was so tired of being the big/fat guy everywhere I went and well summer was hell! Don't even mention swimming lol.

So basically I've been eating smaller meals more frequent, cardio LOTs of cardio and strength training. I feel so much better but still not where I want to be yet but getting week after week!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish.
  • JohnMatrix
    Options
    I just turned 44 this week and can honestly say I looked better at 44 than 24. At this point in the game, it's about longevity, not ego. Having to adjust for loss of strength vs. shape was a little hard to adjust to as I got older.

It is absolutely critical that getting enough rest and proper nutrition is a big, big factor in trying to meet your goals. It's always important, but when I was in my 20's, I could get by with less sleep, be strong as a freak and still make gains. Even when my diet wasn't where it should have been.

I still train six days a week and will do doubles when it gets a little warmer (here in the Northeast that should be like August :( ) and don't have any issues as long as I'm getting to bed at a decent time. I spin twice a week, do a circuit style class twice a week, weight train on them and on the non class days I lift. Mornings will be back to the heavy bag for 20 minutes when I get up and hiking on the weekends for an hour or two. Pretty straightforward.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I am 43 (will be 44 in September). And like others have already mentioned, work, kids and life just got the better of me. I've always had a fuller, curvier figure since I began having children. But it wasn't until I had a work physical last year and was labeled "overweight" that I really got serious about wanting to lose weight. I'm tired of always hiding because I'm uncomfortable with my weight and appearance.

Although I started out with weight-loss being my only goal, my focus quickly shifted. After losing several loved ones and watching many I know deal with health problems, my perspective changed (one of the few advantages of being a 40-something compared to being a 20-something). I did not want to someday be the grandma in the wheelchair or on oxygen. I did not want to take insulin shots or high blood pressure medicine. And so I quit obsessing about losing weight, and started focusing on health and feeling strong.

I want to be healthy and strong for the rest of my life. I want to take my last breath having never sat in a wheelchair or walked with a walker or taken bottles of pills and shots. And guess what? Now that I've taken the steps to live a healthy lifestyle, I've experienced a wonderful side effect--the weight (and more importantly inches) are starting to come off.

The biggest challenge for me at this stage of life is time. I am right in the middle of raising busy, school-age children, so time is precious. But I'm being creative and finding ways. I started out with C25K (with a buddy) and we now run 5Ks regularly. I am not a natural athlete, and this accomplishment is huge! There is nothing like the feeling of completing a race! I am starting to get into lifting weights. I've done Zumba also. I cannot stress enough how helpful having a fitness buddy is! None of my family or friends care about fitness, and I receive zero support from them. Having a friend to motivate and support me is priceless. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 years old and am honestly in the best shape of my life. I lift weights three times a week, get in one cardio session (I HATE cardio), and stay active other days by walking my dogs, mountain biking, and hiking. I am more careful, I think, about hurting myself now that I'm older, and I listen to my body and try not to abuse it too much. But really, age does not limit what you can do! I
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm 46. Like many above, I was active when younger, then kids, life (and beer) took over. I lost 40-50 lbs a couple of years ago, and was then diagnosed prediabetic. I've kept the weight off, and keep my blood sugar in check with diet and exercise.

Currently, I lift weights 3-4 times a week and try and get in a run at least once a week (or use the elliptical if I can't get outdoors).

I think, as an older person, the hardest thing is simply getting up and doing something. Finding time to schedule a workout can be tough in an already busy and set schedule. But, after a while it just becomes part of the new routine. Then there is the lack of resilience that I had when I was younger. Strains take longer to recover from! Joints ache. Everything is just so much harder!

I remember when I was about 20, one of my running buddies (who must have been in his 40's at the time) said he was running to recover from years of abuse to his body. I countered at the time that I was just trying to recover from last nights drinking. Now I'm in my 40's, I understand what he was saying!