Scared about the gym

LadyMarylou
LadyMarylou Posts: 43 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Last time i went to a gym it was a disaster!
I tried some machines and figured how did they work
then ask for help and the trainer answered shortly without interest and wasnt very kind..
I felt like a complete idiot and never came back to a gym!
It was two years ago..
i would love to go back (to a new gym of course)
but i'm also nervous about being breathless and sweaty after 5 minutes of cycling
Do someone have some advice to fight my fear of the gym

Replies

• take a buddy along!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    I completely understand. I was so nervous to start using the gym. I was so overweight and I was afraid of what others would think of me. I finally thought long and hard about it. I wanted to change my life, I wanted to get to a healthy weight. I decided that no matter how uncomfortable I felt, I would make myself go. I walked in and went to the treadmill. Since day 1, I have never looked back. Just know that everyone is routing you on for making the choice to live healthier. Even if you don't know how to use the equipment, just experiment. Start walking, use the elliptical, use free weights- whatever you feel like. Soon you will find your groove and get comfortable. You can do it!
  • I had the same problem before. I had access to the free gym on a military base. All well and good except when you go into the military gym and have no idea what you're doing you look like an idiot in front of a bunch of hot military guys! HAHA! So anyways I stuck to the treadmill which is self explanatory but not really effective unless you do it forever! I've joined Curves and love it. Not the hardest work out but a workout none the less. If you want to go the regular gym route I would say do your research. 1) Google different machines and see how they work 2) Drive around to different gyms in your price range and see what the times are when they are least busy 3) Well I don't really have a three but I figured I can't just stop at two so good luck and if all else fails try walking around the neighborhood for about a month before the gym and I guarantee you'll sweat less :)
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    yes my suggestion is find a friend that is familiar with the gym/machines... or take a novice and learn together
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I would suggest that you make an appointment and get set up with an instructor that will go along with you and show you all the machines and help you develop a plan/workout. They will help you set the amount of weight and repetitions. :) Take a cheat sheet so you remember.

Then you'll know what each machine does and what part of the body it works. I start me workouts with at least 20 min on the treadmill and then move on to the machines. At my gym it's first come first served on the treadmills so, make sure @ your gym as some of them are assigned by hours and you don't want to be on anyones machine, they get cranky.
  • debkin
    debkin Posts: 14
    I was also scared to start back at the gym. I had let myself put on 60 pounds, I was out of shape and I had absolutely no confidence. So, to get over my fear, I joined a 3 month fitness challenge with other ladies who were in the same boat as me... Let me tell you that it was the best thing that I could have done. I have had so much fun and I can't even remember why I was so afraid to come back.
    Check out the programs that are offered at your local gyms and if you have the opportunity to join a challenge or a workout group I would highly recommend it!!
    Good luck to you!!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Ugh! I hate bad Gym experiences! Will you be going back to the same Gym? Before you join, I would ask for a tour of the gym and ask about the equipment. That is what my husband and I did. At our gym, you not only get a tour, you get an orientation after you join. They will show you each piece of equipment, set you up with a general workout plan, all just for joining. The majority of gyms in my area will do it. A Gym should be catering to YOU! They want your money and need to treat you with respect. So go in with confidence! Ask questions! :o)

FYI, the first cardio machine I jumped on was broken and there was no sign announcing it. It was an elliptical and I kept trying to figure why in the world it wasn't turning on. I was nervous enough walking into the room for the first time and then standing there trying to figure out why it didn't work! I turned around, laughed and said "I guess this is what I get for coming to the Gym! Machines that rebel!" and hopped on another elliptical! :o)
  • Hi!
    First of all, from someone who is at the gym 6 days a week: I DON'T notice anyone else when I am working out! I take classes, do my circuit, try out new machines, and still...I barely watch where I'm going! I have my ipod plugged in and am very focused on my routine.
    Some of the BodyMaster machines can look very intimidating! They usually have a sticker telling you what areas it targets and a diagram or two to get you started. The tricky part is knowing where and how to adjust it for your needs and how much weight to start out with. If there is a personal trainer there, ask for a session and come prepared to tell him/her what your fitness goals are and maybe to get a tour of the machines you are interested in using. Nowadays, gyms are very cognizant of the images that their staff projects and they don't want to lose potential members because of a bad attitude!
    Be fearless! They don't know you, and if they secretly think you look dumb, then they secretly think you look dumb! You can't change that and anyone on the street can think the same thing, but it doesn't keep you from walking down the street, does it?
    Really, though, no one worth their workout is going to watch someone else struggling to work out and not help...the fitness community is better than that.
    Good luck!
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    babe, theres no need to worry ! just be fearless in your actions. i know its easier said than done but it can be done. Now that you have made up your mind that you want to make a change, who cares that you will be out of breath in 5 minutes?...you know your goal and you clearly understand that you will get in baby steps! so go cycle, walk use the elliptical at your own pace! with time your body will get used to the motions and before you know it ! you will be a MACHINE! at the gym.

Dont be embarrassed just see it as one of the many steps you have to overcome to become the new and improved you!.

Stay beautiful!
    -richard
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    First of all, LOVE richie's advice, it's almost exactly what I was going to say. Best piece of gym advice I've ever heard is along the same lines. When you walk into that gym, act like you own it. It's YOUR gym, and no one is going to laugh at you for using whatever that gym has available, however you want to use it. Once I got into that mindset, it made things a lot easier.

And personally, when I see people struggling at the gym, I'm happy for them. I don't see someone who is maybe even 200lbs overweight and struggling with a slow pace on the tread mill, I just see someone dedicated to changing their life, and it makes me happy for them, and it inspires me at the same time. I know deep down that person is probably going through emotional and physical hell right now, and it just makes me want to run over and encourage them. I never actually have because I'm always afraid it won't be taken the right way, but just know, if anyone even does notice (most people are to into their own workouts, I usually only notice these sorts of things when I'm drudging through my last few minutes of cardio, they're rooting for you. If they're at the gym, they obviously share the same goal as you, and they will be happy for you for committing to a healthier lifestyle, no matter where your starting point is.

Rock on gorgeous! =)
  • I would really check the gym out ahead of time to make sure it's a place/environment that is going to be productive for you.Beyond that, just remember everyone else in there is trying to do the same thing ...get healthier, get in shape ,get thinner, etc.....don't be intimidated!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Love everyones advice, especially the last 3 or 4 entries. It's true that most people won't notice you, they are too caught up in their own world. I want you to know how lucky you are to have access to a gym. I live in a small town (no gym anywhere), so I have to invent my own workout at home. I'd probably be chicken to go alone, so I think taking a friend is an excellent idea. Good luck. Just planning to go makes you a winner.
  • If you're doing some gym shopping, go check them out at the times you are planning on going, and pay attention not only to the facility itself, but also to the people who are there working out. If there are a bunch of meat heads, then maybe go somewhere else. When I work out at the gym, there are a lot of elderly people and a good number of really over-weight people there, so no one really stands out.

Depending on the gym, I don't know about asking an instructor. My first gym experience with one of their personal trainers (PT's) was a bad one. I'm on the other end of the spectrum - a really scrawny guy trying to build up - so I was already feeling pretty self-conscious walking in there. The PT was doing their "standard free fitness evaluation", which was pretty much him pushing me to go farther until I almost threw up. So yeah... I'm kinda against asking the gym PT's for help as a beginner.

A lot of the gym equipment may have instructions printed on them (all the ones at my gym do). And, there are a lot of videos on the web that show you how to use them. There's a channel on YouTube called 'standfirm' (http://www.youtube.com/user/StandFirm) that has recently posted a few videos on how to use some gym equipment. Take a pen and pad of paper and write down some of the names of the machines when you go, then look them up online.

Just a few ideas from someone who also had a bad first experience at the gym, but continued to go back and learn anyways, and now I LOVE going to the gym!! (I still won't ask a PT for advice tho, lol!)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    i KNOW HOW YOU FELT.i HAD A Y MEMBERSHIP AND WOULD`T GO NEAR THE GYM.i WAS TERRIFIED.i THOUGHT EVERYONE WOULD BE STARING AT ME.iVE OVERCOME THAT AND SOMETIMES i`M THE ONLY GIRL WORKING OUT,BUT I`M THERE TO DO WHAT i HAVE TO GET HEALTHY AND i JUST GO IN AND DO WHAT i NEED TO DO.i ACTUALLY HAD A INCIDENT THAT WHEN i SAT TO DO A MACHINE,i SLID OFF THE MACHINE.i WAS SO EMBARESSED AND THOUGHT ID NEVER GO BACK.SOME NICE GUY ASKED IF i WAS OK.i WAS SO EMBARESSED,I RAN OUT.BUT I DID GO BACK.
    MAYBE YOU COULD ASK SOMEONE HOW TO WORK THE MACHINES SO YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING THEM.i KNOW THAT`S WHAT i DID.i HAD NO IDEA WHAT MACHINE DID WHAT.iF YOU COULD GET A BUDDY TO GO WITH,THAT WOULD BE GREAT.
    BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!
    JANE
  • Ask people for help you would be surprised how many people like helping at the gym.
    Whenever I see somebody with that glazed look I ask if they need any help.

People feel a little special if you ask for there help.
  • LadyMarylou
    LadyMarylou Posts: 43 Member
    Wow.. !
    Thank you very much for your encouragement and advices. It motivates me to move .. Your determination impresses me so much! I'll try to return to the gym and put my fears aside. I'll keep you posted!
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    I don't know how helpful I'll be after I just posted my very own fears of working out!

I've had years of experience working out at gyms, and usually employees will be more than happy to give you a tour of the gym and explain the machines to you. I thought that usually came with your initial start up. Anyways, when I was unfamiliar with a machine, I'd work out at a machine close to it, one that I knew how to use, and watched someone else use it.

I've found there's usually really nice people at gyms, and if you are working on a machine and they think you could improve your form, they will politely give you pointers. I've had this happen more than once, and I'm so happy they did!

L.
This discussion has been closed.