PROTEIN.

Options
I want to know... I have my snack, supper and protein shake (after workout) to eat yet and I'm already OVER 1 protein.. Am I allowed ? whats the OK amount to be over>

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You want protein. So don't worry about it. I eat between 100-120grams a day.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I beleive body builders eat 1 to 1.5 grm of protein per pound of weight. So protein is usually good for you so you shouldnt worry about it.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I actually changed my macro targets in MFP to allow for higher protein amounts. I try to get at least 100g per day, more like 120 if I can - that represents 1 gram/lb lean body mass/day.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, the protein goal MFP sets is more of a recommended daily allowance, not a limit. You'll do better going over this as protein tends to help you stay full longer and if you're active it will help with retaining muscle and recovery.

The only concern with protein intake that I know of is folks with kidney issues shouldn't have too much.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    excess protien is probably only a problem if you have kidney issues.

although if your not very active and consume an overly excessive amout of protien then you could damage your kidneys.

i don't think you have anything to worry about.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yup, the protein goal MFP sets is more of a recommended daily allowance, not a limit. You'll do better going over this as protein tends to help you stay full longer and if you're active it will help with retaining muscle and recovery.

The only concern with protein intake that I know of is folks with kidney issues shouldn't have too much.

^ This right here. I end up with 130-150 grams of protein a day. Keeps me full, helps build muscle. Win/Win!
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    1 gram over, meh. Looks like your MFP protein requirements are a little low to begin with. I shoot for ~ 150 a day.