Gym-intimidation

Options
13»

Replies

• DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    No disrespect, but no one cares about what you're doing in the gym.
  • dudeonmoon
    Options
    TBH, I felt exactly the same way when I first started working out at our apartment gym (~ 3 months ago). I mean, our apartment is filled with college jocks, and you can imagine the atmosphere in the gym. However, here are a few pointers that helped me overcome all the weirdness and I never looked back after that:

- When I first started, I saw that there were always a few regulars who were in great shape, and did their routines quietly. After a week or so, I introduced myself to a few such people, and BOY, were they helpful. I was intimidated when I first saw them, but they have been few of the most nicest people I have come across. You know why? Because a lot of them have gone through it. They weren't all so perfect when they started, and they immediately took me under their wings. There are a couple of guys who even helped me in my sets, and make corrections to my routine and posture.
    - Ignore the jerks. Really. Nobody gives a hoot about what they think, because tbh, even if you get really in shape, they will find something or the other to make fun. So basically, screw them. Really, these people have nothing better to do and you will feel so much stronger inside if you build the will to ignore them. I thankfully did not come across too many of these, but there are still people who looked funny at me like "Why is this guy here....?" or "He does not belong in here...." But you know what, 25 lbs later, I am at par or even better than them now, and I feel great on the inside.
    - Invest in a good pair of headphones that blocks all the testosterone / estrogen filled loud conversations out. It will pay for itself in sweat beads of joy!
    - I agree with the posts above - it will really help if you have a small plan of your workout on your phone, so you basically have a checklist of stuff to do, and leave. Nobody can interfere with that, or sway you otherwise.
    - Do not give a *kitten* about what anyone else thinks. I know it sounds easier to say this, but once you do it once, nobody will dare to think otherwise.

Good luck girl, and stick to it. You have every right to be there as much as any jock or jerk. In fact, more so if you are a nice person, and the good people will realize it.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    You could try canceling your membership and using those slim wraps around your waist instead.

Or try wearing sunglasses and neon clothing with tight fitting yoga pants to work out in.

Looking like everyone else will help you blend in.

Also making eye contact with the mirror and staring at yourself or one other person in particular will help keep you from looking around.

The good news is I think that gym serves pizza and bagels so you can eat that with the other members and maybe bring some soda and ice cream in, as a treat.

Hahaha best post I've read all day
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    To be honest the only people I judge in the gym are the people in groups with all their friends wasting time on a station instead of using the equipment. No one cares about one person on their own doing their own thing, as it doesn't affect them.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    There is nothing rude about it.

That was definitely rude and for that I am unleashing lilRicki on you..

2032918_7858_thumb.jpgsmiley-fart006.gif2137325_1117_thumb.jpg
  • RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Have something along that takes your focus off the other people. I used to always bring my kindle and read when I did cardio... it was impossible to read and think about others in the gym for me. When I started doing free weights I had a notebook that I always had open and was looking at. It gave me something else to focus on. When you are there, bring something to divert your attention so you don't even notice anyone else or what they are doing.

That being said.. people just look around. It's nothing personal and they are usually not thinking negative thoughts, just being human.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jo, walk in with a plan of action and get 'er done. I'm so focused that apparently my fiance's cousin has seen me at the gym repeatedly and I have yet to notice. I'm on a mission, I don't have time to fart around. And don't forget your headphones!

Well even if you do have time I wish you wouldn't fart around the gym that's just not right! May I suggest to fart around in a clothing store(kids section is always fun) and walk away silently like a stealthy ninja then wait for it. Generally you will hear some thing funny even if your half way across the store as the kids are very vocal and entertaining. Grocery stores can be fun too but please not at the gym.. :smile:

AWESOME! haha

There's no helping it when you do yoga, just make sure you're in the back corner. Especially if you eat supper before you go work out. There's nothing wrong with crop dusting! My suggestion though, don't do it right before you walk past an industrial sized fan, the treadmill users get super p!ssed off.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    I agree with Jo, walk in with a plan of action and get 'er done. I'm so focused that apparently my fiance's cousin has seen me at the gym repeatedly and I have yet to notice. I'm on a mission, I don't have time to fart around. And don't forget your headphones!

Well even if you do have time I wish you wouldn't fart around the gym that's just not right! May I suggest to fart around in a clothing store(kids section is always fun) and walk away silently like a stealthy ninja then wait for it. Generally you will hear some thing funny even if your half way across the store as the kids are very vocal and entertaining. Grocery stores can be fun too but please not at the gym.. :smile:

AWESOME! haha

There's no helping it when you do yoga, just make sure you're in the back corner. Especially if you eat supper before you go work out. There's nothing wrong with crop dusting! My suggestion though, don't do it right before you walk past an industrial sized fan, the treadmill users get super p!ssed off.

lmao :laugh:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

AWESOME! haha

I have no shame
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I had to break myself out of this insecurity as well. I was always feeling like people were watching me. In all honesty, if someone even noticed I was there they were most likely thinking "Good for her! Get it girl!" instead of the "ugh what is that fat chick doing here?" that I kept telling myself that they were thinking. I had to keep telling myself that no one was looking at me and if they were, who cares?!? I'm not going to the gym for them.. I'm going for me!

Just work on changing how you view your efforts to get healthy. They are for you not for anyone else. It is a personal journey not a team sport (and even when you choose to have a team around you, YOU get to choose who joins that team).

When all else fails just remember this..

funny-animal-gifs-004-10-haters-gonna-hate.gif
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think of it the opposite way that you do, OP . . . when I had a gym membership I'd always feel better going if the gym was busy, because I figured the more people around, the more I'd blend in and the less likely I was to catch someone's eye, if that makes sense. Whereas if there are only a few people, you're definitely going to stand out. I don't really think there's a good answer for how to get over it, though.

But if you want to skip the gym and work out at home instead of going by yourself, check out fitnessblender.com . . . they have a lot of great workouts for different fitness levels.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    They just opened one near me and my cousin joined and told me I should check it out. It seems too uptight for me, and it feels more like a store than a gym. I just know that should they ever dare to blow that dumb lunk horn at someone (especially me) that I would rage quit in a second. I think I will stick to the dark gym with the well-used equipment. I used to think that those guys lifting 600 pounds in a cloud of powder would be judgmental but they're actually quite helpful, and mostly eager to share their knowledge. What I learned is that I was passing premature judgement on other people out of fear that they would pass premature judgement on me.
  • NNMSunshine
    Options
    Just another vote for how little people care...
    I totally wiped out on a treadmill. (Tripped, and fell, then slid off the end - good times) Only one person next to me even glanced my direction, and checked to see if I was OK. Everyone else just kept going.
    So, even if you use the equipment to make a total mess out of yourself, you will be surprised at how little attention it draws. (Using the equipment as intended, and there is NO notice. :) )
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

AWESOME! haha

I have no shame

Well in that case then the OP can learn a lot from you. After talking with you she could intimidate the others at the gym and not feel intimidated herself.:drinker:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You could try canceling your membership and using those slim wraps around your waist instead.

Or try wearing sunglasses and neon clothing with tight fitting yoga pants to work out in.

Looking like everyone else will help you blend in.

Also making eye contact with the mirror and staring at yourself or one other person in particular will help keep you from looking around.

The good news is I think that gym serves pizza and bagels so you can eat that with the other members and maybe bring some soda and ice cream in, as a treat.

This seems rude and sarcastic when someone is asking for help. Is that really needed here?

Er, well yes...this is MFP!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Congrats on going to the gym & doing your thing !

I'm 62 years old & have been hitting the gym for a few years now ..... it's not the other people who bother me at the gym ...... it's seeing MYSELF in all those freaking mirrors :laugh:

Keep up the good work, honey !
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    This is one of the main reasons I get up at 4:30 in the morning and I'm at the gym by 5. Rarely do I see immature people who thrive on judging others at that time of morning and as an added bonus, I never have to wait for equipment :bigsmile:
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just remember you're there for yourself and not other people! Also not all looks are judgmental. I (and many other people) have so much admiration for people who are trying to make their lives better by getting healthy and in shape. Isn't that the whole point of the gym?
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The only times I am looking at you in the gym are:

If I am coveting your gym outfit
    If I am wondering if it's worth waiting for that machine
    If you are between me and the mirror (for form, I am not 'that' vain) or the clock or the next machine I want to use
    If you have good ink

I tell myself people are looking at me (I know they aren't) so I have to finish the set (because you know, they'd totally be counting my reps) or keep up the pace or whatever it is... it helps me push myself.
    Take the insecurity and make it work for you instead of against you! x
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

AWESOME! haha

chili/deadlifting = winning

I clear my own area.

I have no shame- keeps the area quiet and no one asks to borrow my *kitten*!!!