Calling all Ranch Dressing fans...

Options
I'm sure many of you have heard of this, but if not, you must know:

Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt + Ranch Seasoning Packet = Guilt-Free Ranch Dip!

Perfect for putting on wraps, dipping veggies, etc. It's a little thick for actually eating with a salad IMO, but perfect as a dip or spread.

Replies

• fredpdx
    fredpdx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You could always cut it with some fat free milk or butter milk (which in it's self is pretty low fat)
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    good to know
    thanks
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you want a healthy, low-cal ranch dressing, try the Ranch Yogurt Dressing by Bolthouse Farms. delicious.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Honest question, how is this different and/or better than light ranch dressing?
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I put vinegar in my ranch dressing to make it thinner. I use a lot less and the taste is great!
  • Cracken99
    Cracken99 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Pinterest and am trying this week! My add-ins to make it extra tasty is a clove of garlic, cilantro and one Jalipeno pepper. I like the vinegar idea to thin it out. Thanks!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    If you want a healthy, low-cal ranch dressing, try the Ranch Yogurt Dressing by Bolthouse Farms. delicious.

I just found this dressing and it is awesome, I actually like it more than my old Hidden Valley Ranch. The Litehouse lite Ranch is also pretty good.

Rigger
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Greek yogurt is natural & high in protein. Because Greek yogurt is strained, it's creamy without adding anything....even 0% Greek is creamy. But, you do have the powder mix....and whatever is in that.

Many light dressings (I'm sure not all).......have extra additives to make them creamy (while lower fat).
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Greek yogurt is natural & high in protein. Because Greek yogurt is strained, it's creamy without adding anything....even 0% Greek is creamy. But, you do have the powder mix....and whatever is in that.

Many light dressings (I'm sure not all).......have extra additives to make them creamy (while lower fat).
    So just added protein, then? I imagine whatever is in those packets is pretty equivalent to whatever is in the light dressings. Seems like the calories would be the same or higher in the greek yogurt version, plus the added effort of mixing it yourself!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

So just added protein, then? I imagine whatever is in those packets is pretty equivalent to whatever is in the light dressings. Seems like the calories would be the same or higher in the greek yogurt version, plus the added effort of mixing it yourself!

If you use "fat free" ranch dressing .....then the calories are pretty much the same....but I can't stand fat free dressings.....they have a nasty aftertaste.

But fat free Greek is definitely lower calorie than light ranch drssing

Light Hidden Valley = 80 calories for 2 TBL

Hidden Valley mix = 10 calories per teaspoon & add 20 calories (2 heaping TBL) of Greek .................... 30 calories vs. 80 calories (includes added protein)
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I just started using this a couple of weeks ago and LOVE it! I think I actually like it better than "regular" ranch dip, and it's helping me get in raw veggie snacks. I added some dried dill and it was even better. I'll try some of these other suggestions to jazz it up too - need some variety because it's going to be a staple for me!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    Ingredients

1 clove garlic
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 cup real mayonnaise
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves, minced
    2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
    1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Dash hot sauce
    1/4 to 1/2 cup buttermilk (as needed for desired consistency)

Directions

Mince the garlic with a knife and then sprinkle on the salt and mash it into a paste with a fork.

In a bowl, combine the garlic paste, mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, dill, chives, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, vinegar, paprika, cayenne and hot sauce. Add the buttermilk to desired consistency and mix to combine, tasting frequently and adjusting seasonings as needed. Chill for a couple of hours before serving, thinning with more buttermilk if needed.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/homemade-ranch-dressing-recipe.print.html?oc=linkback

Your welcome.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Less calories and more protein:

1 cup of non-fat greek yogurt is 120 calories, plus it's got ~20 grams of protein.

Usually even light dressing is around 100 calories for only 2 TBSP, and doesn't have any protein.
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use the ranch packet mix on EVERYTHING. :love:

I already knew about the greek yogurt ranch, it's great. I use it as a sandwich spread too.

I'll sprinkle the ranch mix over cauliflower with garlic & roast it.

I mix it with buffalo/hot sauce & put on chicken wings.

Add it to my guacamole.

I LOVE IT.
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just made this variation and it is INCREDIBLE!

1 cup Plain, non-fat Greek yogurt (130 calories)
    1/4 cup Almond Milk (15 calories)
    1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dip (80 calories)

56.25 calories in a 1/4 cup serving and >5 grams of protein to add...amazing!!! My days of snacking on raw broccoli and cauliflower dipped in ranch dressing are back again!!!