Plantar fasciitis

Options
2»

Replies

• zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    First to answer your question... if you want to get your heart rate up, and workout at home - try doing bodyweight exercises that focus on all parts of your body - a good start is:
    www.nerdfitness.com
    and there are a lot of good bodyweight sites out there.

If you do a rotation of these types of exercises - like 3 sets each - 15-20 sec rest between sets, you can get your heart rate going and it will not aggrevate your PF.

On PF... I sufferred on and off with PF for 15 years - tried everything - saw a podiatrist, got custom orthotics, ice, towel, stretching, etc. nothing helped and it got worse and worse. My podiatrist finally referred me at an orthopedic surgeon for evaluation. After meeting with him I decided to have a sugery call a "gastroc slide" - basically he lengthened my calf muscles. Surgery took about 45 min, and literally the pain disappeared the next day. I was in a boot for 4 weeks, and then did some therapy. A last-ditch alternative, but is out there.
  • KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    asciiqwerty - I didn't know you could get a base to turn your bike into a stationary. Thanks so much!!! I'm definitely getting one of those!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Home trainer base - i'm sure you can find something local to you:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-540589-home-trainer-range
  • KristieJC
    Options
    zilfig64 - thank you, sir! I'm glad the surgery worked for you. My doc said surgery is a last resort, and it sounds like you were a good candidate for that. At this point, my doc doesn't want to do surgery. But I will definitely ask her about the gastroc slide. Thanks!
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am a physical therapist and I had plantar fascists 2 yrs ago. It is so not fun!

First thing to try is arch supports in all your shoes all the time…….even slippers! You can try the exercises rolling your foot on a tennis ball. PT can also do iontophoresis, US….

Good Luck.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    If you can do body weight exercise’s then you can try HIIT, just google that or tabata you can get an app for your phone for timing the exercises. I can get my heart rate in to the 160’s doing HIIT which for me is high and you can do it right in your living room.
    BTW, I developed PF a little over a year ago and googled stretches for PF and followed several of the ideas that I found and lost several pounds which both have helped immensely as I have not had any issues in months.
    Good luck
    V/r,
    DW.
  • cougarose
    Options
    If you have access to an indoor swimming pool, maybe at the Y or a community center, they may have an aquatics class. It's an excellent way to exercise for those who can not do any high impact workouts. I have lots of trouble with joints as well as PF and arch trouble in my feet so it works great for me. Unfortunately I've moved recently and don't have a public swimming pool available to me. See if you have somewhere close that offers public swimming even if there is no aquatics class.
  • KristieJC
    Options
    Thanks, DWBalboa. I'll definitely check out HIIT.