New Scale Opinions and Advice

Options
The scale that I currently measure with needs to go. It not very effective. It's like the old scales with the round circle and the little red arms that moves to the weight.

I"m on a very tight budget, but, would like some new digital scale recommendations and info about cheap ones out there on the market. I also need a scale that I can find, either at a specific store or online. This will be a long term investment for me, even though it will be a cheap one.

Thanks for your help and advice.
Amy

Replies

• laurarich2014
    laurarich2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have my digital weight watchers scale I got at Walmart a few years ago. I love it. I think it was about $25 then.
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I bought a very nice digital scale at a local Goodwill for about $4. Not guaranteed to find one at such a place, but if you do, it should be very cheap.
  • cheegerz
    cheegerz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh my god I am in the same boat as you. Mine is HORRIBLE. Did we get ours at the same place?! :P I think mine was a cheap Dollar General scale.... I always have to adjust the little knob to reset the red arrow to 0, because EVERY TIME I step on or step off, it always defaults to a few lbs over or a few lbs under 0. I can't get an accurate weight on that darn thing!! Thank you for posting this topic, I'm excited to see what everyone else's recommendations are.

I'm not on as much of a budget for this as I think it will be an investment I'll utilize for years, fairly often. What about these body fat content scales and stuff now? These expensive fancy ones with all the different tracking options and junk? Anybody know about these and have any input on a good brand or type?
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Mine is horrible, but I'm afraid to buy a new one because I think it will weigh me more than my old clunky one. I know that's crazy...but I have such a love hate relationship with weighing in that I never ever step on a scale other than my own and I do that in protest once a week.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Don't waste money on a super scale with lots of options.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I invested in a digital scale at the outset. There are lots of cheap versions out there, just go for a known brand. If it will do body fat %age as well it's a bonus but I have noticed that when the battery in mine starts to get low, the accuracy of this feature goes out the window, and that assumes it was reasonably accurate in the first place!

The most important bit is that it is repeatable - at the end of the day it is just a number, but it is important that you get the same number 3 times when you step on it 3 times in a row! Also, make sure that you use them on a hard floor or get a set that is designed to work on carpet. Strangely enough, this DOES make a difference!! I found out the hard way and managed to lose 4lbs in the time it took to gasp and move them from the bedroom carpet to the tiled bathroom!
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. But, I'm looking for a food scale. My food scale is the old fashioned one. I need a newer digital food scale for better measurement of my food. Thanks
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want to spend a lot of money, but a scale with a body fat and muscle estimating function is very helpful. Maybe you could get one at a reduced price on eBay or used? I had a Tanita scale, but a relative gave me her old Omron scale, which, in addition to foot pads, has hand sensors. It gives me a higher body fat % than the Tanita. I'm not actually surprised because I always thought the Tanita was estimating low, especially if I calculated my body fat % using the "Military" formula.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. But, I'm looking for a food scale. My food scale is the old fashioned one. I need a newer digital food scale for better measurement of my food. Thanks

Lol. Well, there are bunch on Amazon for $20 or less.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Oh, a FOOD scale. Well, then, I'd recommend a PrecisionPro. I bought one from Amazon for about $25.
  • laurarich2014
    laurarich2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    sorry, ha! Yep I would go with Amazon and what the customer reviews say.