6g of sugar in my coffee??? Whaaaaaaaaaat????

Options
tyediri
tyediri Posts: 183 Member
So I have been logging my coffee using an existing MFP entry (1tsp sugar, 2tsp coffee and 75ml semi-skimmed milk) (I like my milk).

Today I decided to cut down the sugar in my coffee to half a tea spoon in order to reduce my sugar intake. So I created my own recipe on MFP. Half a tea spoon of sugar has 2g sugar (doh) and 75ml of semi-skimmed milk has 4g of sugar????

Talk about hidden sugars!

Has anyone else been surprised at hidden sugars in our food, and what were your biggest surprises?

Replies

• tyediri
    Options
    No hidden sugar surprises for anyone? :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Milk has lactose, a sugar occurring in dairy products. Not much of a surprise to most and I don't consider it hidden. Then again I don't fear sugar...
  • tyediri
    Options
    Not afraid of sugar, nope, and I did know milk had sugar but I didn't realise 75ml of milk had a tea spoon of sugar in it. :)

I cut out sugar in my coffee and have maltesers after dinner. lol! Maltesers are a lot more satisfying. :)

Just don't want to go too over my sugar macros as both my parents are diabetic and now my 24 year old cousin has also been diagnosed. (Urgh!)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I don't have any underlying medical conditions that make it necessary for me to track sugar, so I don't.. I suppose all of it is hidden from me.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Not afraid of sugar, nope, and I did know milk had sugar but I didn't realise 75ml of milk had a tea spoon of sugar in it. :)

I cut out sugar in my coffee and have maltesers after dinner. lol! Maltesers are a lot more satisfying. :)

Just don't want to go too over my sugar macros as both my parents are diabetic and now my 24 year old cousin has also been diagnosed. (Urgh!)

I suggest you speak with a physician then regarding diet bc there is much more to diabetes aside from sugar intake.
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The first time I logged a double double coffee, I had to quit drinking! I couldn't ubeleive the amount of sugar in dairy either, I knew about fruits etc. but was still shocked at the amount of sugars hidden in them too. Once I joined MFP and started tracking everything, I got alot of surprises, but ready to change it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't exactly call those "hidden" sugars. You're putting table sugar in your coffee...not exactly hidden...it's pure sugar...not sure what else you thought it might be. The sugar in milk is also naturally occurring so I wouldn't call that a "hidden" sugar either. When I think "hidden" sugar I think added sugar to things that you would not think sugar would necessarily be added to....like a chicken pot pie or something. I don't really worry about sugar too much though, I don't consume mass quantities of it...on average I'd say 80ish grams per day, most of which comes from fruit and vegetables...vegetables have sugar too.

Also, sugar in and of itself is not the root cause of diabetes, there is much more involved.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I pay zero attention to my sugar intake. For me…sugar is just part of my overall carb intake.
    Plus…I eat ice cream regularly. So, if I was worried about sugar, my coffee would be the least of my worries.
  • rezrighter
    Options
    I pay zero attention to my sugar intake. For me…sugar is just part of my overall carb intake.
    Plus…I eat ice cream regularly. So, if I was worried about sugar, my coffee would be the least of my worries.

I am pretty much in the same boat, though I do track my suger intake on the side just to be sure its not a large persentage of my carbs.

Side note, I put 12-13g of suger in my 14 oz coffee most mornings. Just to keep it from being to bitter.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar so, as someone else said, it is all hidden from me. I like sugar and I LOVE carbs so my biggest struggle is getting enough protein. After that, I don't much care what makes up the rest of my diet as long as it fits in my calorie goal. However, a long time ago I did switch to sweet n low in my coffee. That's from when I did the MFP 1200-cal thing and had to fear every last calorie, but that's the way I like my coffee now. (I also prefer my coffee iced and regular sugar doesn't dissolve well.)

I have been surprised by a lot of things though. I mostly remember the things that were surprisingly good. On the subject of coffee, a tall iced skinny flavored latte (mocha/vanilla/whatever) has only 110 calories and 7g protein. I went to starbucks for a treat and didn't expect it to fit into my macros so well.
  • tyediri
    Options
    I love you!!! Thanks for the tip about the Starbucks latte. I always dread it when my friends want to pop in to Starbucks or Costa for an impromptu coffee coz it messes my calorie goal up and I don't want to be a knob and say no! I can now have a tall skinny iced flavoured latte! :)

I am also with you about getting enough protein. :(

I don't usually track my sugar either (coz I would go crazy, I always go over, lol). Besides, I am hypoglycemic, so my blood sugar is normally quite low, but I do tend to fluctuate quite a lot and get sugar highs and lows where I feel dizzy (its hereditary, my dad had it too and so is the diabetes in my family).
    I read an article on BBC news about sugar, which is why I decided to see how much sugar was in my coffee. I knew about the added sugar obviously, but didn't realise milk contributed more sugar to my coffee than the actual sugar.
    I don't track sugar so, as someone else said, it is all hidden from me. I like sugar and I LOVE carbs so my biggest struggle is getting enough protein. After that, I don't much care what makes up the rest of my diet as long as it fits in my calorie goal. However, a long time ago I did switch to sweet n low in my coffee. That's from when I did the MFP 1200-cal thing and had to fear every last calorie, but that's the way I like my coffee now. (I also prefer my coffee iced and regular sugar doesn't dissolve well.)

I have been surprised by a lot of things though. I mostly remember the things that were surprisingly good. On the subject of coffee, a tall iced skinny flavored latte (mocha/vanilla/whatever) has only 110 calories and 7g protein. I went to starbucks for a treat and didn't expect it to fit into my macros so well.
  • tyediri
    Options
    Thanks! I know, diabetes runs in my family and I am already hypoglycemic. My dad was too before he was diagnosed with diabetes (type 2). :(
    My parents are both doctors, and they have said that if it is hereditary diabetes it is likely that you will get it anyway, all you can do by being healthy is push back the onset of diabetes for as long as possible. My dad is a lot fitter than I am and always eat brown rice/bread, etc. Sigh! :(

I suggest you speak with a physician then regarding diet bc there is much more to diabetes aside from sugar intake.