chalk, straps, or gloves?

Which do you prefer?

I am getting to the point on my deadlifts to where my grip strength is limiting my ability to do deadlifts to my full ability. I am trying to fix that by doing farmer walks (barbell loaded carry), but in the meantime, what should I use? My gym allows chalk, but I wasn't sure what my best option was. I was losing my grip on the bar deadlifting 205. (And I do not want to use mixed grip btw) Also, I already have callouses from rowing and lifting, so I am not worried about that.

Replies

• Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Chalk is a no brainer when it comes to deadlifting.

If not mixed grip, try hook grip.

You can use straps if your grip fails completely even when you are using chalk.
  • roz250
    roz250 Posts: 23
    Chalk and a mixed grip.

Why are you against using a mixed grip?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    I like straps personally. I got to a point where I decided that I wasn't going to let my grip strength limit the development of my back and just go for it. Since I've started using straps my deadlift strength has gone up immensely and I haven't looked back since.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    I don't need a super grip either, so I use straps too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    I just don't want to use mixed grip yet bc I think it would benefit me to work on grip strength.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    deadlifts tear up your hands, i personally dont care but if you dont like calluses than get gloves.

no one needs straps i dont understand why people use them... if your grip fails than you get a stronger grip

use mixed grip, hook grip is painful
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Use chalk and either a mixed or a hook grip. If you want to increase your grip strength, work on grip specific exercises. Deadlift isn't meant to train grip and it's a shame to limit the benefits accrued by insisting on an overhand grip. I have a decent grip but even with a hook grip I start to lose it over 265 but with chalk and hook grip I can pull mid 300s.

Use deadlift to train deadlift and grip training to train grip. Farmers walks are great for that.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    I use chalk and mixed grip.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    I wouldn't recommend letting grip limit your deadlift. Start with chalk, that one's a no-brainer especially since your gym allows it. If you really don't want to do mixed grip, try a hook grip. Lot's of very strong humans pull their maximum weight with a hook grip. I'm in the process of switching myself and like the hook grip a lot. It'll tear up your thumbs at first, but they'll get used to it.

Although, I do agree, not switching to a mixed grip because you want to work on your grip is kind of defeating the purpose of the deadlifts.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Chalk and mixed grip. I also added rack pulls to improve grip and maybe improve deadlift. I overload the rack pulls and hold them at lockout for 5 seconds. I was losing grip @ 425 for a full range of motion (ROM) DL and within a month of doing overloaded rack pulls, I can hold 585 at lockout for 5 seconds. So I have built enough grip strength to hold me for a while.
  • deadlifts tear up your hands, i personally dont care but if you dont like calluses than get gloves.

no one needs straps i dont understand why people use them... if your grip fails than you get a stronger grip

So you would prohibit your back growth because of your grip? I don't use straps very often only when I go heavy, I would rather get an extra 2 reps then worry about my grip. As you deadlift more your grip will get better as well.
  • Chalk and mixed grip. I also added rack pulls to improve grip and maybe improve deadlift. I overload the rack pulls and hold them at lockout for 5 seconds. I was losing grip @ 425 for a full range of motion (ROM) DL and within a month of doing overloaded rack pulls, I can hold 585 at lockout for 5 seconds. So I have built enough grip strength to hold me for a while.

Totally agree on this. Rack pulls are a great option!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Another way to improve grip strength is using Fat Gripz.

http://amzn.to/1foqccH

They work for both barbell and dumbbell.
  • juliewatkin
    deadlifts tear up your hands, i personally dont care but if you dont like calluses than get gloves.

So you would prohibit your back growth because of your grip? I don't use straps very often only when I go heavy, I would rather get an extra 2 reps then worry about my grip. As you deadlift more your grip will get better as well.

I totally agree with this. Many big competition deadlifters train with straps.

I don't as much because it requires too much set up time for heavy single and I lose tension.

I rely on them a lot for heavy rows.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

yuppers.

I train grip.
    I use chalk.
    Alternate grip-
    at the end of the dead lift training- I pull and hold 185-205 and count out seconds.
    Straps are for big lifts- I use them every couple of months but not regularly.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Chalk
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    I prefer to use hook grip, mainly out of my fear of tearing a bicep tendon or something using mixed. Hook works for now without chalk. If I start hitting a wall I might look into chalk. I like the idea of having a grip strength good enough for whatever I am deadlifting.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Use chalk and either a mixed or a hook grip. If you want to increase your grip strength, work on grip specific exercises. Deadlift isn't meant to train grip and it's a shame to limit the benefits accrued by insisting on an overhand grip. I have a decent grip but even with a hook grip I start to lose it over 265 but with chalk and hook grip I can pull mid 300s.

Use deadlift to train deadlift and grip training to train grip. Farmers walks are great for that.

Farmers walks are exactly what I am doing. I do those on a different day than deadlifts. I do them on arms day. What other grip strength exercises are there?

I'm not opposed to a hook grip. I didn't know it existed, so there's that. haha!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    I would stick with mix grip and chalk. What's the point of not changing your grip if your just going to use something else like straps to substitute it anyways? Doesn't make sense
  • juliewatkin

Farmers walks are exactly what I am doing. I do those on a different day than deadlifts. I do them on arms day. What other grip strength exercises are there?

I'm not opposed to a hook grip. I didn't know it existed, so there's that. haha!

I love hook grip. It took a while to get used to it but I prefer it. With a mixed grip, when it got heavy, I had a tend to windmill a bit with the bar.

There's tons of grip stuff. Someone else mentioned fat gripz. There's static holds. Even pull ups holding onto a towel or just dead hangs from a towel. Plate pinches.