Lost 5lbs, but now I'm STUCK!!!!!!

Options
I am 23 years old. I'm 5'3. Weigh 145lbs. My body fat is 27. I lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks. I have been eating 1,100 calories, sometimes 900 calories a day because I'm too busy to eat. I have been exercising at least 30 mins-to-1 hour a day 3/4 days a week. BUT now I haven't been losing any weight, why do you think this is? And are the first 5lbs pounds lost just water weight? Could it be because I'm on my period and have been constipated? Or am I just being too impatient? My goal is lose at least 5-10 more so that I could be at a healthy weight for my age and height because right now I'm considered over weight.

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1380.... you should be eating at least that much. I am 5'2, 167lbs and I'm eating a minimum of 1500 (which is right around my BMR). That's probably why you're not losing. I had a hard time losing anything when I was exercising like crazy and eating only 1200 calories too. Try upping your calories and see what happens. Also what kind of exercise? I would lower the cardio and try doing some lifting. Good luck!
  • aem135
    aem135 Posts: 44
    Options
    Ok thanks I will try that, I am just paranoid about gaining weight by adding more calories to my diet. 1380 sounds like too much for me!!!! I don't even think I ever eat that much even when I'm not dieting. lol
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks I will try that, I am just paranoid about gaining weight by adding more calories to my diet. 1380 sounds like too much for me!!!! I don't even think I ever eat that much even when I'm not dieting. lol

If you didn't eat that much when you weren't dieting, you wouldn't have got to the stage where you need to lose weight.

I can assure you 1380 is not a lot of calories. Cooking in a tablespoon of oil will add 100 cals. A tablespoon of peanut butter is 100 cals. Don't eat low calorie substitutions. Swap skimmed for whole, reduced fat for full fat, etc.

And you won't gain weight eating that much. Maybe a small initial gain in the beginning, depending on how long you've been undereating for, but it will come off. And really, what's the alternative? Drop your cals to 700? 600?
  • melenagirl81
    melenagirl81 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've learned from experience the first 5 lbs is mostly water. It's the after water loss that is hard. One good tip a coach of mine told me is not to get so fixated on the scale or losing weight. I get on the scale once a week not everyday like I used to. Also your PMS does get in the way too. I know usually when I have mine I call it the test game. During that week I when I use to eat a lot for no reason. At this time the best thing is buy fruit. That helped for me or snack on popcorn that is good too. I created a challenge group actual event starts April 1st using the 21 day Fix program or any that you want to use to achieve your goal. YOU CAN DO THIS is not just a challenge group but a place where you can meet friends people who are doing the same thing like you are losing weight and getting healthy. If you interested check out my site www.melenasreviews.com/video.htm to start getting the word CAN'T out of your head and CAN in it for good. This is my third time at loosing weight when I began I was 235 lbs. I didn't know I was fat in 1999 when I graduated and slowly I'm losing. My goal and ideal weight at my height is 105 lbs. If you on facebook join me in my challenge and together we can both achieve our goal at https://www.facebook.com/groups/286907111467566/ or let me know your email I can send you an invite. Since I joined a challenge group a year ago it has helped me huge. I no longer feel depress because there are others struggling the same way. When I became 30 I was really down and had just had my heart broken. It was a sad time for me where I was eating anything even when I wasn't hungry. It was then I realized that I don't want to be fat. My coach helped me believe and started thinking I can do this and can loose weight can be better. You can add me on mfp under melenagirl81 I'm always logging on this website has helped me keep track in loosing weight great little thing.

Melinda
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I eat at 1600 calories a day, and found I stalled when I went below that. Never eat below your BMR, because that is the lowest amount of calories your body needs to keep it's organs alive and functioning. As someone else mentioned, don't eat "calorie wise" options if you're having a hard time meeting your goal for the day. Full fat yogurt, cheese and things like salad dressings will help you immensely. As well as snacks like nuts & nut butters, greek yogurt, cheese sticks, turkey pepperoni, etc.
  • cc141
    cc141 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Usually when you only have 5-10 lbs to lose your deficit should be smaller. So for me, now that I only have about 5-6 lbs left I changed the goals on MFP to lose 0.5 lbs/week.

The group Eat, Train, Progress is really good with providing a lot of information. This link is from that group - good for understanding the basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Could it be because I'm on my period and have been constipated? Or am I just being too impatient?

Yes, both of those things could be why you're experiencing a stall this week.

I agree with everyone else that you need to eat more. 1200 calories is the minimum recommended for a petite, sedentary woman. It's hard to get enough nutrients into your diet when you're eating less than that. Protein, fats, vitamins, calcium, iron, your body needs food.
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When you're in a deficit, you're going to lose weight no matter what. But if you're stuck...my guess is you're not eating enough
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When you're in a deficit, you're going to lose weight no matter what. But if you're stuck...my guess is you're not eating enough

While this is true over time, it may not be true from week to week. There are natural fluctuations that can increase the scale weight and mask any fat loss that's happening when you're comparing short term numbers. In this case, the OP is on her TOM and most women hold onto 3-5 extra pounds of water during this time, she's also constipated and that extra waste in her body is going to add to her scale weight. She may very well have lost weight (fat/muscle) this week but just isn't seeing it because of these extra factors. You have to take the fluctuations into account when you're comparing numbers that are so close together in time.
  • aem135
    aem135 Posts: 44
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input and encouragement!!!!!!!!!! I'll need to make a few changes then!!!!! :)