clean eating 'sugar'

Options
Hi all

I'm whole heartedly embarking clean eating i.e. full fat, unprocessed real food. Can anyone guide me on sugar. Is brown sugar ok? Am I right in thinking honey and good quality maple syrup are 'clean'? I can easily dodge white flour/ refined sugar/sweeteners etc, but a little drizzle of maple syrup on greek yogurt is like a ray of sunshine :)

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I'm whole heartedly embarking clean eating i.e. full fat, unprocessed real food. Can anyone guide me on sugar. Is brown sugar ok? Am I right in thinking honey and good quality maple syrup are 'clean'? I can easily dodge white flour/ refined sugar/sweeteners etc, but a little drizzle of maple syrup on greek yogurt is like a ray of sunshine :)

Eat things you like, create a deficit if you're trying to lose weight and try to get in adequate fats/protein/micros. No need for silly rules, which you already broke by eating processed greek yogurt
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I dont quite know about any kind of sugar for clean eating purposes.

Brown sugar is just white sugar with mollasses in it.

A little bit of what you want probably wont hurt as a seasoning, but I have never considered sugar items to be "clean eating" I associate clean eating with fresh vegetables, fruit, dairy, in other words, food that you find around the edges of the store, (meaning that food found in the aisles is usually the not clean eating. since sugar falls into that category I would not eat much of it.)

but my theory is - if eating a bit of sugar over yogurt is what enables you to eat it, then i would eat that litlte bit of sugar and not worry about it. Becuz the benefits of the yogurt will outweight the non-benefits of the sugar you use to season it.

What to worry about is eating cakes and pastries and donuts, that would be something to be concerened about, not a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup here and there.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    monotoring_this_thread.jpg
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

A little bit of what you want probably wont hurt as a seasoning, but I have never considered sugar items to be "clean eating" I associate clean eating with fresh vegetables, fruit, dairy, in other words, food that you find around the edges of the store, (meaning that food found in the aisles is usually the not clean eating. since sugar falls into that category I would not eat much of it.)

but my theory is - if eating a bit of sugar over yogurt is what enables you to eat it, then i would eat that litlte bit of sugar and not worry about it. Becuz the benefits of the yogurt will outweight the non-benefits of the sugar you use to season it.

What to worry about is eating cakes and pastries and donuts, that would be something to be concerened about, not a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup here and there.

^^This
  • Acg67
    Options

Phew, good thing fruit doesn't have sugar or you'd have contradicted yourself
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Options

i forgot to include it , but yeah fruit is clean eating.

I even consider frozen veg to be "clean eating", even though its in the aisle there.

there are ranges of what "clean eating" means to one person vs the other. I will eat frozen veg and consider myself a clean eater. but not canned veg coz the taste sucks and i consider that processed with some stuff i dont want to eat!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I even consider frozen veg to be "clean eating", even though its in the aisle there.

there are ranges of what "clean eating" means to one person vs the other. I will eat frozen veg and consider myself a clean eater. but not canned veg coz the taste sucks and i consider that processed with some stuff i dont want to eat!
    So, make it up as you go along? I can handle that.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Honey and maple syrup are less processed than brown sugar or white sugar. So I'd stick with those.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hi all

The only truly unprocessed sugar is raw honey. Though things like maple syrup, molasses, concentrated fruit juices are pretty "clean" sugars.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Hi all

The only truly unprocessed sugar is raw honey. Though things like maple syrup, molasses, concentrated fruit juices are pretty "clean" sugars.

Except for you know the process that packages it for sale
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The reason it's so hard to truly define "clean eating" is because there's no true definition.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Just eat. There is no such thing as fully eating clean unless you're extremely dedicated and essentially a raw vegan. Incorporate lean meats, fresh produce (Soak your fruits and veggies in water and apple cider vinegar for 20 minutes then thoroughly rinse them to remove pesticides, wax, etc. ), good fats like olives, nut butter (easy to make homemade), EVOO, Avacado, etc. a simple google search will give you more examples. Limit your overly processed foods. Everything in moderation.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Hi all

Except for you know the process that packages it for sale

If you buy it at a store. It can be found in a bee hive too, ya know.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Back in the day, when I first heard the term "clean eating" there were varying levels of clean. For example, a wild non-hybrid apple was clean. A farmed organic apple was also clean, but not as clean as the wild apple because of fertilizers and pesticides. A farmed non-organic apple was less clean because of more pesticides. A hybrid apple was less clean because it was designed by man. Canned sweetened apples were not clean.

I never really heard the term "dirty' applied until I joing MFP. It was always just varying degrees of clean or "not clean".

And yes, people did disagree on the degrees and definitions of clean even back then. Though I never heard anyone apply some of the rules people and web sites do now, like meal timing, or excluding grains, or tieing it to macro intake.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Those options all sound very lovely and clean to me. Eat what you like best and consider it clean for the remainder of your life. I promise that this plan will be successful if you eat according to your goals and stay on track:)
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Options

Yes actually sometimes that is the best success. Tweaking as we go along. I stand by that and am losing weight.

I'm neither religiously strict about it, but neither too eating like whatever, so i basically know what clean eating is, however, I think doing that MOST of the time is more sustainable. i guess that does not answer the OP's question, necessary, but this is how a person can approach clean eating while enjoyin their food. A person may not be 100% perfect, but if they are striving to eat better, then that is good. I am not going to split hairs with people who want to debate whether a package of frozen carrots is better/worse than ones sold in the produce section. if one wants to be strict about it, pick the fresh produce carrots.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Yes actually sometimes that is the best success. Tweaking as we go along. I stand by that and am losing weight.

I'm neither religiously strict about it, but neither too eating like whatever, so i basically know what clean eating is, however, I think doing that MOST of the time is more sustainable. i guess that does not answer the OP's question, necessary, but this is how a person can approach clean eating while enjoyin their food. A person may not be 100% perfect, but if they are striving to eat better, then that is good. I am not going to split hairs with people who want to debate whether a package of frozen carrots is better/worse than ones sold in the produce section. if one wants to be strict about it, pick the fresh produce carrots.

Sounds like moderation to me...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    The Naturopathic Dr I go to says.......she is also a M.D. and a registered dietitian.

If it has a face and was born from a mother..............good to eat

If it grows in the ground or on a tree and you can pick it and eat it............good to eat.

If it has to be soaked, sprouted to be fit to eat - eat on rare occasion

If it has to be heavily processed and packaged to resemble some type of food object stay away.

If you choose to have anything that comes frozen, boxed or other wise packaged, if it has more than 5 ingredients, then stay away...................5 ingredients or under and it is ok to have on rare occasion.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    The Naturopathic Dr I go to says.......she is also a M.D. and a registered dietitian.

If it has a face and was born from a mother..............good to eat

If it grows in the ground or on a tree and you can pick it and eat it............good to eat.

If it has to be soaked, sprouted to be fit to eat - eat on rare occasion

If it has to be heavily processed and packaged to resemble some type of food object stay away.

If you choose to have anything that comes frozen, boxed or other wise packaged, if it has more than 5 ingredients, then stay away...................5 ingredients or under and it is ok to have on rare occasion.

^ this is why the human race is doomed.

SMDH.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Sounds like moderation to me...

yea, but moderation doesn't sound nearly as "official". lol