Ladies with big boobs! :)

Options
So, summer is coming (they tell me...the weather doesn't quite agree yet) and this is the first year in forever that I might even consider wearing a bikini...

I have big-ish boobs that used to be huge boobs...(currently a 32D, down from a 38H) and am looking for a swimsuit. I hate ordering online because you never know how something will fit. What I've been toying with is the retro/pinup style suit because they have a higher waist to hide my awful stretch marks, but as always - am nervous about buying tops.

I need something that has support. My boobs are big, but not pretty, they need to be crammed into something, and stay where I put them. I need something that has an adjustable back so I can get it tight enough around the band...as well as roomy enough in the front.

This has always been an issue for me, fat or thin. I have found brands I like for clothing, but bathing suits are new territory...

Any advice?

Replies

• asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    have you tried Bravissimo (http://www.bravissimo.com/products/swimwear/#/1)? I know they're uk based, but I have friends who order from the uk for US and canadian delivery. they do proper bra sized bikini and swim suits

I'm a 30JJ and get my bras, swimsuit (with full underwired bra built in), bikini (propper cup sizes) and shirts (that close over my boobs without gaping and yet also fit my narrow shoulders) from them so that they fit properly

if you're not happy ordering from them, it may give you an idea of which manufacturers make the right size for you an that might allow you to find a local supplier

they believe in trying on rather than measuring, but their descriptions are prtty good, so they say if something comes up small or large and suggest an adjustment
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you but I do want to say I feel your pain! I wear a 38DD currently and a size 14, but so many of the swimsuits I find in sizes 12-16 offer either NO room for my bust, are too baggy in the belly and hips to be flattering and slimming, AND/or are way too low cut for my liking. At 5'8" I'm tallish but not "tall" yet I have found success over the years with long torso swimsuits. Land's End is good.

I tend to go with very athletic cuts for my swimsuits. A higher neckline tends to help me out and often means a big cut out section in the back which I am fine with. I am kind of serious about swimming when I do go to the pool it's not to lounge around trying to look sexy.

I dread buying one because they can be expensive, and I'm still changing sizes. I bought a great athletic cut suit in a thrift store last weekend but it's an 8-10 and I wear a 14. It looks kind of good on me already, but being several sizes too small it squishes up what is left of my back fat, ewwww. Maybe next summer...'til then I need to find a 'for now' suit!

Kind of off-topic but one thing I'll never wear - now or even at my heaviest - is the skirted suit look. Just no. I think some smaller girls can pull it off looking cute like a pinup but a skirted suit in plus or large sizes tends to age a woman. JMHO! And yeah I am sure there are exceptions, women who rock the look when they are a size 20. Just not the majority...
  • Lisapayne76
    Lisapayne76 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am a 38DDD and I order mine from Lane Bryant. They are based on Bra Size.
  • freckledjezebel
    freckledjezebel Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It might be better for you to consider a different style top than a bikini (unless by bikini you simply mean two-piece). I have really big boobs- at my skinniest they were DD's and now they're G's. Even at my smallest string-style triangle bikini tops just didn't work- no support and the strings cut into me. I found success with halter-style tops that tie around the neck with built in under wire. Torrid sells these style tops (they start at size 12 so not sure if that would work for you). Otherwise I would recommend going with a company that sells tops in bra sizes, like a previous poster mentioned.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    asciiqwerty - I have heard of bravissimo, but didn't know they did suits, will definitely look there, thanks! I also have smaller shoulders, so the wide straps you find with bras/bathing suits in general just swallow me.

seltzermint - YES!! anything one piece - dresses or suits - either I'm bursting out the top or it's baggy everywhere else. I've found dresses that work for me, and I love wrap style dresses because they can be fitted around everything without being baggy or tight anywhere. And so many suits either have no or inadequate underwire. Just can't be done unless your boobs are normal sized or implants. :-/ I also like to swim...never needed to look sexy. But like I said - this is the first year ever that I have been remotely happy with my body. It's not perfect, by any means...but I've actually put work into it, and I can see some of the results. I don't want to buy another swimsuit to hide myself. I've done the skirts...and the tshirt over my suit. I just want to look pretty this year.

This is the style I'm contemplating:
    27926newlarger2_zpsfa4ac033.jpg?t=1395852200
  • jollyquilter
    jollyquilter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I was a 42G but am down to a 40DDD. I am thinking these are not going to look very good by the time this is over. But I will cross that bridge when I come to it. The last time I purchased bras it was online. I knew what sizes I was needing and I found them really cheap. So give it a try. I always look for free shipping as well.

I hope you find the perfect suit for you.

A question for you. do you wear sports bras? And if so where do you find them. I cannot find any that fit well and I need them so bad.
  • lulu150
    lulu150 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I am a 36DD and last year I got mine from Land End and loved them! I got the tankini's and felt very supported and very comfortable walking around in it!! They have regular swimsuits, tankini's and bikini's with D, DD and DDD.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Ooo just bought one a few weeks back! I got it from bravissimo but it's actually a speedo brand swimsuit with a built in bra and it looks awesome! I think the style is speedo premier.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

A question for you. do you wear sports bras? And if so where do you find them. I cannot find any that fit well and I need them so bad.

Not any that are adequate, really. When I'm running, I usually put on a regular bra, and a sports bra on top. I get the smallest sports bra I can squeeze into...not pretty, but it keeps them from feeling like they're going to pull themselves off my body when I run, lol!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Ooo just bought one a few weeks back! I got it from bravissimo but it's actually a speedo brand swimsuit with a built in bra and it looks awesome! I think the style is speedo premier.

How is it? I have been thinking about getting one the next time I size down. It's quite pricey, like everything from Bravissimo I think. But my boobs are kind of squished down in my new costume. If I was relaxing by the ppol or something on holiday I'd be a bit self concious of the squashed look.
  • asciiqwerty
    Options

I currently swim in a speedo premiere - I had to get a 34GG for it to fit over my UK 14-16 bum, but it supports my 30JJs and stops them wiggling everywhere when I swim back stroke,

I also wear a sports bra from bravissimo - no more bounce

they make some of hteir own stuff but mostly they source from other people

they also sell dresses/skirts/tops in "curvy" sizes that do not gape through their pepperberry brand
    for those of you not in hte uk, their site will help you work out which manufacturers make things in your size
  • asciiqwerty
    Options

How is it? I have been thinking about getting one the next time I size down. It's quite pricey, like everything from Bravissimo I think. But my boobs are kind of squished down in my new costume. If I was relaxing by the ppol or something on holiday I'd be a bit self concious of the squashed look.

becasue it's a one piece, it took me a bit of trial and error to find the size that worked best on my boobs as well as my bum, for lounging by the pool i'd wear a bikini or tankini instead - where each half is the right size - but for actual swimming for fitness I think the premiere is worthwhile for me (especially backstroke) it's a lot more comfortable and supportive than any other non-bra-sized suit i've worn
  • NJScubaDiva
    NJScubaDiva Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out Lands End (they're based out of Sears department stores) - but they still have an online catalog (free shipping and free returns if you can get to a Sears store) - I just ordered a really cute top (have to get a bigger bottom) -

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-beach-living-polka-dot-v-neck-bikini-top/id_261220 -

this is the link to the top I ordered and it's very supportive, without pulling on my neck (at least when I tried it on - we'll see how it fits once I hit the pool) It has a bra hook type closure on the back, which I love - if I have to tie on my back, it's so uncomfortable - it digs into my back. Anyway - good luck!!
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't have big boobs but I am the only person in my group of friends that doesn't Look for places that sell swimsuits in bra sizes, like victoria's secret.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Not any that are adequate, really. When I'm running, I usually put on a regular bra, and a sports bra on top. I get the smallest sports bra I can squeeze into...not pretty, but it keeps them from feeling like they're going to pull themselves off my body when I run, lol!

That's funny, I do the same thing. Currently I'm a 42DD but as a lose weight, I will likely get smaller. I think a D is my smallest cup size.
  • cheekym7
    cheekym7 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    asciiqwerty - I have heard of bravissimo, but didn't know they did suits, will definitely look there, thanks! I also have smaller shoulders, so the wide straps you find with bras/bathing suits in general just swallow me.

seltzermint - YES!! anything one piece - dresses or suits - either I'm bursting out the top or it's baggy everywhere else. I've found dresses that work for me, and I love wrap style dresses because they can be fitted around everything without being baggy or tight anywhere. And so many suits either have no or inadequate underwire. Just can't be done unless your boobs are normal sized or implants. :-/ I also like to swim...never needed to look sexy. But like I said - this is the first year ever that I have been remotely happy with my body. It's not perfect, by any means...but I've actually put work into it, and I can see some of the results. I don't want to buy another swimsuit to hide myself. I've done the skirts...and the tshirt over my suit. I just want to look pretty this year.

This is the style I'm contemplating:
    27926newlarger2_zpsfa4ac033.jpg?t=1395852200

Love this style!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    this_thread_delivers.jpg

$(KGrHqNHJB8E7y)zCyGiBPBjtYIVFQ~~60_35.JPG

Edit: to unscar odusgolp :tongue:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    bump.

And screw you for that meme, Shock_wave! *LOL* I'm scared for life now.
  • GoldFish1326
    GoldFish1326 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Another UK based site $9.99 shipping to canada, $4.95 USA figleaves.com (make sure to use the USA site) super adorable bathing suits I'm a 32F, was much bigger but have purchased at both sizes, large size range and nice prints! Sign up for their newsletter for 10% off the first purchase or wait a few weeks they have at least once a month 20% off regular price. Hope this helps and SERIOUSLY they have wonderful customer service, shipping and products!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Try things on, but I've found that the triangle tops are the worst for me. Bandeau shaped tops (with straps, of course) work prety well.